- Volume 24 Issue 1
Experimental Study on Nonlinearity Characteristics Near the Free Surface in the Regular Wave Condition
- Choi, Hae-Jin (Hanjin Heavy Industries & Construction Co. Ltd.) ;
- Jung, Kwang-Hyo (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Suh, Sung-Bu (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Jo, Hyo-Jae (Division of Naval Architecture and Ocean Systems Engineering, Korea Maritime University) ;
- Choi, Han-Suk (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Published : 2010.02.28
A series of experiments employing particle image velocimetry (PIV) technique was conducted to produce benchmark wave kinematics data for regular waves having four different wave slopes in 2-D wave tank. Water velocities and accelerations near the free surface of regular waves were computed from image pair obtained by PIV systems. With the measured wave velocity field, the wave accelerations were computed using a centered finite difference scheme. Both local and convective components of the total accelerations are obtained from experimental data. With increasing the wave slope, the horizontal velocity and the vertical accelerations near the wave crest obtained by PIV technique became larger than theoretical results, which are well-known phenomena of the wave nonlinearity. It is noted that the relative magnitude of convective acceleration to the local acceleration became larger with increasing wave slope.
- Airy, G.B. (1845). "Tides and Waves", Encyclopedia Metropolitana, London, 5, pp 241-396.
- Anastasious, K., Tickel, R.G. and Chaplin, J.R. (1982). "Measurements of Particle Velocities in Laboratory-scale Random Waves", Coastal Engineering, Vol 6, pp 233-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-3839(82)90021-7
- Chapplear, J.E. (1961). "Direct Numerical Calculation of Nonlinear Ocean Waves", Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol 66, No 2, pp 501-508. https://doi.org/10.1029/JZ066i002p00501
- Cokelet, E.D. (1977). "Steep Gravity Waves in Water of Arbitrary Uniform Depth", Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series A Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences, Vol 286, No 1335, pp 183-230. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.1977.0113
- De, S.C. (1955). "Contributions to the Theory of Stokes Waves", Proceedings of Cambridge Philosophical Society, Vol 51, pp 713-736. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0305004100030796
- Dean, R.G. (1965). "Stream Function Representation of Nonlinear Ocean Waves", Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol 70, No 18, pp 4561-4572. https://doi.org/10.1029/JZ070i018p04561
- Dean, R.G. (1970). "Relative Validities of Water Wave Theories", Journal of Waterways Harbors and Coastal Engineering Division, ASCE, Vol 96, No 1, pp 105-119.
- Fenton, J.D. (1985). "A Fifth-order Stokes Theory for Steady Waves", Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering, ASCE, Vol 111, No 2, pp 216-234. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-950X(1985)111:2(216)
- Gudmestad, O.T. and Connor, J.J. (1986). "Engineering Approximations to Nonlinear Deepwater Waves", Applied Ocean Research, Vol 8, No 2, pp 76-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-1187(86)80002-5
- Jensen, A., Sveen, J.K., Grue, J., Richon, J.-B. and Gray, C. (2001). "Accelerations in Water Waves by Extended Particle Imagine Velocimetry", Experiments in Fluids, Vol 30, No 5, pp 500-510. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003480000229
- Lo, J.M. and Dean, R.G. (1986). "Evaluation of a Modified Stretched Linear Wave Theory", Proceedings of the 20th Coastal Engineering Conference, pp 522-525.
- Longuet-Higgins, M.S. (1953). "Mass Transport in Water Waves", Journal of Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series A-Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences, Vol 245, No 903, pp 535-581. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.1953.0006
- Schwartz, L.W. (1974). "Computer Extension and Analytic Continuation of Stokes' Expansion for Gravity Waves", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol 62, pp 553-578. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112074000802
- Sobey, R.J. (1990). Wave Theory Predictions of Crest Kinematics, In: Torum, A. and Gudmestad, O.T. (Eds.) Water Wave Kinematics, NATO ASI Series, Kluwer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp 215-231.
- Stokes, G.G. (1847). "On the Theory of Oscillatory Waves", Trans. Cambridge Philosophical Society, Vol 8, pp 441-455.
- Swan, C. (1990). A Viscous Modification to the Oscillatory Motion Beneath a Series of Progressive Gravity Waves, In: Torum, A. and Gudmestad, O.T. (Eds.) Water Wave Kinematics, NATO ASI Series, Kluwer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp 313-329.
- Westerweel, J. (1993). Digital particle image velocimetry–Theory and application, Ph.D Dissertation, Delft University, The Netherlands.
- Willert, C.E. and Gharib, M. (1991). "Digital Particle Image Velocimetry", Experiments in Fluids, Vol 10, No 4, pp 181-193. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00190388