- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Processing Optimization of Gelatin from Rockfish Skin Based on Yield
- Kim, Hyung-Jun (Department of Seafood Science and Technology/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Yoon, Min-Seok (Department of Seafood Science and Technology/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Park, Kwon-Hyun (Department of Seafood Science and Technology/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Shin, Joon-Ho (Department of Seafood Science and Technology/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Heu, Min-Soo (Department of Food and Nutrition/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Kim, Jin-Soo (Department of Seafood Science and Technology/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2010.01.27
- Accepted : 2010.03.15
- Published : 2010.03.31
The study was performed to optimize the processing conditions (alkali concentration, extraction time, and temperature) for rockfish skin gelatin based on yield using response surface methodology and comparison of the physicochemical properties with those of rockfish skin gelatin pretreated and extracted under ordinary conditions (alkali treatment concentration: 1.0 M; extraction time: 2 hr; extraction temperature:
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Washington, D.C.
- Arnesen JA and Gildberg A. 2002. Preparation and characterisation of gelatine from the skin of harp seal (Phoca groendlandica). Bioresource Technology 82, 191-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(01)00164-X
- Arnesen JA and Gildberg A. 2007. Preparation and characterisation of gelatine from Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Bioresource Technology 98, 53-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2005.11.021
- Bligh EG and Dyer WJ. 1959. A rapid method of lipid extraction and purification. Can J Biochem Physiol 37, 911-917.
- Box GEP and Wilson KB. 1951. On the experimental attainment of optimum conditions. J Royal Stat Soc (Series B) 13, 1-45.
- Cho SM, Gu YS and Kim SB. 2005. Extracting optimization and physical properties of yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) skin gelatin compared to mammalian gelatins. Food Hydrocolloids 19, 221-229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2004.05.005
- Cho SM, Kwak KS, Park DC, Gu YS, Ji CI, Jang DH, Lee YB and Kim SB. 2004. Processing optimization and functional properties of gelatin from shark (Isurus oxyrinchus) cartilage. Food Hydrocollids 18, 573-579. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2003.10.001
- Fernandez-Diaz MD, Montero P and Gomez-Guillen MC. Effect of freezing fish skins on molecular and rheological properties of extracted gelatin. Food Hydrocolloids 17, 281-286.
- Gomez-Guillen MC and Montero P. 2001. Extraction of gelatin from megrim (Lepidorhombus boscil) skins with several organic acids. J Food Sci, 66, 213-216. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2001.tb11319.x
- Gudmundsson M. 2002. Rheological properties of fish gelatins. J Food Sci 67, 2172-2176. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb09522.x
- Gudmundsson M and Hafsteinsson H. 1997. Gelatin from cod skins as affected by chemical treatment. J Food Sci 62, 37-39. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1997.tb04363.x
- Hamada H. 1990. Effects of the preparation conditions on the physical properties of shark-skin gelatin gels. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 56, 671-677. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.56.671
- Hayashi R, Kawamura Y, Ohtsuka T and Itoh N. 1990. Preparation of amidated gelatins and their physicochemical properties. J Agric Biol Chem 54, 2213-2218. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.54.2213
- ISO. 1978. International Organization for Standardization ISO 3496-1978. Meat and meat products-Determination of L(-) hydroxyproline content.
- Jamilah B and Harvinder KG. 2002. Properties of gelatins from skins of fish-black tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) and red tilapia (Oreochromis nilotica) Food Chem 77, 81-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(01)00328-4
- KFDA (Korean Food and Drug Administration) Food Code. 2006. Moon-Yeoung Publishing Co., Seoul, Korea, p 70-72.
- Kim JS. 1992. Improvement of the functional properties of fish skin gelatin and its utilization. PhD thesis. Pukyong National University, Busan, Korea.
- Kim JS and Cho SY. 1996. Screening for raw material of modified gelatin in marine animal skins caught in coastal offshore water in Korea. Agric Chem Biotechnol 39, 134-139.
- Kim JS, Ihm CW and Kim PH. 1996. Preparation and properties of gelatin from conger eel skin. J Agric Chem Biotechnol 39, 274-281.
- Kim JS, Kim JG and Cho SY, 1997. Screening for the raw material of gelatin from the skins of some pelagic fishes and squid. J Korean Fish Soc 30, 55-61.
- Kim JS and Park JW. 2004. Characterization of acid-soluble collagen from Pacific whiting surimi processing byproducts. J Food Sci 69, C637-642. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2004.tb09912.x
- Kim JS and Park JW. 2005. Partially purified collagen from refiner discharge of Pacific whiting surimi processing. J Food Sci 70, C511-516. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2005.tb11510.x
- Kim SK, Byun HG, Park PJ and Shahidi F. 2001. Angiotensin I converting enzyme inhibitory peptides purified from bovine skin gelatin hydrolysate. J Agric Food Chem 49, 2992-2997. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf001119u
- Kolodziejska I, Skierka E, Sadowska M, Kolodziejski W and Niecikowska C. 2008. Effect of extracting time and temperature on yield of gelatin from different fish offal. Food Chem 107, 700-706. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.08.071
- Mendis E, Rajapakse N and Kim SK. 2005. Antioxidant properties of a radical-scavenging peptide purified from enzymatically prepared fish skin gelatin hydrolysate. J Agric Food Chem 53, 581-587. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf048877v
- Muyonga JH, Cole CGB and Duodu KG. 2004. Extraction and physico-chemical characterisation of Nile perch (Latesnilaticus) skin and bone gelatin. Food Hydrocolloids 18, 581-592. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2003.08.009
- Pharmaceutical Society of Japan. 1980. The health experimental method notes. Kum-Won Publishing Co. Tokyo, Japan, p 728-732.
- Regenstein JM, Goldhor S and Graves D. 2003. Increasing the value of Alaska pollock byproducts. Proceeding of the 2nd International Seafood By-product Conference. University of Alaska, Fairbanks, AK. pp 459-482.
- Sato K, Ohashi C, Ohtsuki K and Kawabata M. 1991. Type V collagen in trout (Salmo gardineri) muscle and its solubility change during chilled storage of muscle. J Agric Food Chem 39, 1222-1225. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00007a005
- Tsutagawa Y, Hosogai Y and Kawai H. 1994. Comparison of mineral and phosphorus contents of muscle and bone in the wild and cultured horse mackerel. J Food Hyg Soc Japan 34, 315-318.
- Yang H, Wang Y, Jiang M, Oh JH, Herring J and Zhou P. 2007. 2-step optimization of the extraction and subsequent physical properties of channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) skin gelatin. J Food Sci 72, C188-194. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2007.00319.x
- Zhou P, Regenstein JM. 2004. Optimization of extraction conditions for pollock skin gelatin. J Food Sci 69, 393-398.
- Fractionation and Characterization of Fractions with High Antioxidative Activity from the Gelatin Hydrolysates of Korean Rockfish Sebastes schlegelii Skin vol.14, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5657/FAS.2011.0168
- Sp.): Kinetics and Optimization of Extraction Conditions Using Response Surface Methodology vol.2012, pp.2090-861X, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5402/2012/835391