- Volume 18 Issue 3
Analysis of FISH patterns using 5S and 45S rDNAs in Codonopsis minima and C. lanceolata from Jeju Island
5S와 45S rDNA 유전자를 이용한 제주도산 애기더덕 (Codonopsis minima)과 더덕 (C. lanceolata)의 FISH 패턴 분석
- Kim, Soo-Young (Wildlife Genetic Resources Center, National Institute of Biological Resources) ;
- Kim, Chan-Soo (Warm-Temperate Forest Research Center, Korea Forest Research Institute)
- Received : 2010.04.26
- Accepted : 2010.06.14
- Published : 2010.06.30
The chromosome number was identified and fluorescence in situ hybridization(FISH) mapping of 5S and 45S rDNAs were conducted for C. minima and C. lanceolata in the genus Codonopsis from Jeju island. In this study, we have confirmed that the somatic metaphase chromosome number determined as 2n=2x=16 was the same as the findings from the previous studies. While the conventional staining method makes it rather difficult to distinguish satellite chromosomes due to high degree of variability, FISH analysis produced the exact number and location of 5S and 45S rDNAs. Both species in the genus Codonopsis have a pair of 5S rDNA and their gene loci were observed on chromosome 3. Although two pairs of 45S rDNAs (one on chromosome 1 and the other on chromosome 8) were identified in both species, the 45S rDNA signals on chromosome 8 in C. minima were significantly weaker than those on chromosome 1. In addition, the 45S rDNA signals on chromosome 1 in C. lanceolata showed that the chromosome is non-homologus. In this study, we have determined cytogenetic characteristics of C. minima and C. lanceolata according to their gene replication patterns.
Grant : 멸종위기 및 주요생물자원의 염색체 도감 발간
Supported by : 국립생물자원관 (NIBR)
- Castilho A. and Heslop-Harrison JS. (1995). Physical mapping of 5S and 18S-25S rDNA and repetitive DNA sequences in Aegilops umbellulata. Genome. 38:91-96. https://doi.org/10.1139/g95-011
- Doo HS, Ryu JH, Lee KS, Li HL and Liu XH. (2002). Analysis of genetic relationship by RAPD technique for Codonopsis lanceolata trauty collected from Baekdoo mountain and Korea. Korean Journal of Medicinal Crop Science. 10:194-199.
- Fukui K, Ohmido N and Khush GS. (1994). Variability in rDNA loci in the genus Oryza detected through fluorescence in situ hybridization. Theoretical and Applied Genetics. 87:893-899.
- Fu LT, Chen K, Lang T, Hong QL and Li R. (2004). Higher Plants of China (10). Qingdao Publishing House. Qingdao, China. p. 455-466.
- Hotta M, Ogata K, Nitta A, Hosikawa K, Yanagi M and Yamazaki K. (1989). Useful Plant of The World. Heibonsha LTD Publishers. Tokyo, Japan. p. 296-297.
- Kim CS. (2009). Vascular plant diversity of Jeju Island, Korea. Korean Journal of Plant Research. 22:558-570.
- Kim SY, Choi HW and Bang JW. (2004). Physical mapping of rDNAs using McFISH in Anemarrhena asphodeloides Bunge. Korean Journal of Medicinal Crop Science. 12:515-518.
- Kim SY, Choi HW, Koo DH, Kim CS and Bang JW. (2005). Karyotype analysis and physical mapping of rDNAs using McFISH in Jeffersonia dubia Benth. Korean Journal of Medicinal Crop Science. 13:48-51.
- Kim SY, Choi HW, Kim CS, Sung JS, Lee JK and Bang JW. (2006). Cytogenetic analysis of Astragalus species. Korean Journal of Medicinal Crop Science. 14:250-254.
- Koh JG. (2010). Endemic plants in Jeju island. Institute of Environmental Resource Research, Jeju Special Self-Governing Province. Jeju, Korea. p. 90-91.
- Koo DH, Seong NS, Seong JS, Bang KH and Bang JW. (2003a). Karyotype analysis and physical mapping of rDNAs in Bupleurum longeradiatum. Korean Journal of Medicinal Crop Science. 11:402-407.
- Koo DH, Kim SY, Bang KH, Seong NS and Bang JW. (2003b). Cytogeneic analysis of Angelica plants using Feulgen staining and multicolor fluorescence in situ hybridization. Korean Journal of Plant Biotechnology. 30:123-127. https://doi.org/10.5010/JPB.2003.30.2.123
- Krasnoborov IM, Rostovtseva TS and Ligus SA. (1980). Chromosome numbers of some plant species of South Siberia and the Far East. Botanica Zhurn. 65:659-668.
- Lammers TG. (2007). Campanulaceae. In Kadereit JW and Jeffrey C. (Eds.) The Families and genera of Vascular Plants III, Flowering Plants Eucots (Asterales). Springer-Verleg. New York, USA. p. 26-56.
- Lee TB. (1985). Endemic and rare plants of Mt. Halla. 215-242. In Oh DC (ed.) Report of the Academic Survey of Hallasan (Mountain) Natural Preserve. Jeju-do Province. Jeju, Korea.
- Lee WT. (1996). Standard Illustrations of Korean Plants. Academy publishing Co. Seoul, Korea. p. 1069-1070.
- Leitch IJ and Heslop-Harrison JS. (1992). Physical mapping of the 18S-5.8S-26S rDNA genes in barely by in situ hybridization. Genome. 35:1013-1018. https://doi.org/10.1139/g92-155
- Mabberley DJ. (1990). The Plant-Book. Cambridge University Press. New York, USA. p. 134.
- Maluszynska, J. and Heslop-Harrison JS. (1991). Localization of tandemly repeated DNA sequences in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal. 1:159-166. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-313X.1991.00159.x
- Maluszynka J. and Heslop-Harrison JS. (1993). Physical mapping of rDNA in Braddica species. Genome. 36:774-781. https://doi.org/10.1139/g93-102
- Mukai Y, Endo TR and Gell BS. (1991). Physical mapping of the 18S rRNA multigene family in common wheat: Identification of a new locus. Chromosoma. 100:71-78. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00418239
- Nishikawa T. (1985). Chromosome counts of flowering plants of Hokkaido (8). Journal of Hokkaido University of Education. Section IIB. 35:97-111.
- Shimizu T. (1993). Campanulaceae. In Iwatsuki, K, Yamazaki T, Boufford DE and Ohba H (Eds.). Flora of Japan, Vol. a: Angiospermae, Dicotyledoneae, Sympetale (a). Kodansha Ltd. Tokyo, Japan. p. 405-418.
- Song JT, Chung HB, Kim BW, Jin HS and Kim KY. (1990). Thesaurus of Korean Resources Plants. Korea Resources Plant Institute. Seoul, Korea. p. 517.
- Yoo KO. (2007). Campanulaceae Juss. In Park CW (ed.) The genera of vascular plants of Korea. Academy Publishing Co. Seoul, Korea. p. 906-919.
- Yoo KO and Lee WT. (1989). A study of the genus Codonopsis in Korea. Korean Journal of Plant Taxonomy. 19:81-102. https://doi.org/10.11110/kjpt.1989.19.2.081
- Yoon ES, Kim HH, Lee SR, Tanemura J and Lee YS. (1992). Cytogenetic studies of Codonopsis lanceolata Benth. et Hook, II. geographical variety of somatic chromosomes in local type. Journal of Oriental Botanical Research. 5:31-35.