- Volume 23 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Investigation of the Strain Rate Effects of EPS Foam
EPS Foam의 변형률속도효과에 대한 연구
- Kang, Woo-Jong ;
- Cheon, Seoung-Sik ;
- Lee, In-Hyeok ;
- Choi, Seon-Ung ;
- Min, Je-Hong ;
- Lee, Sang-Hyeok ;
- Bae, Bong-Kook
- 강우종 (경일대학교 기계자동차학부) ;
- 전성식 (국립공주대학교 공과대학 기계자동차공학부) ;
- 이인혁 ((주)한국이에스아이) ;
- 최선웅 ((주)한국이에스아이) ;
- 민제홍 ((주)삼성전자) ;
- 이상혁 ((주)삼성전자) ;
- 배봉국 ((주)삼성전자)
- Published : 2010.06.30
Expanded polystyrene(EPS) foams are often used in packaging to protect electrical appliances from impact loads. The energy absorbing performances of the EPS foams depend on several parameters such as density, microstructure and strain rate. Thus, the effects of the parameters on the strength of the EPS foams need to be investigated for an optimized packaging design by FEM. In this study, various EPS foams which have different densities were quasi-statically and dynamically loaded in order to obtain the stress-strain curves. EPS foams of various densities from 18.5 to 37.0kg/m3 were considered in the experiments. A drop-mass type apparatus was developed for the intermediate strain rate tests up to several hundreds/second. It was found from the experimental results that the strength of the EPS foams increase about 170% as the strain rate increases from 0.06/s to 60/s. Experimental results also showed that the strain rate sensitivity increases as the strain increases.
Supported by : 경일대학교
- Saha M.C., Mahfuz H., Chakravarty U.K., Uddin M., Kabir Md.E. and Jeelani S., "Effect of deosity, microstructure, and strain rate on compression behavior of polymeric foams," Materials Science & Engineering A, Vol. 406, 2005, pp.328-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2005.07.006
- Avalle M., Belingardi G. and Ibba A., "Mechanical models of cellular solids: Parameters identification from experimental tests," lnternational Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 34, Issue 1, 2007, pp. 3-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2006.06.012
- Bouix R., Viot P. and Lataí1lade J.-L., "Polypropylene foam behaviour under dynamic loadings: Strain rate, density and microstructure effects," lnternational Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 36, 2009, pp. 329-342.
- Mills N.J., Stampfli R., Marone F. and Bruhwiler P.A., "Finite element micromechanics model of impact compression of closed-cell polymer foams," lnternational Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 46, 2009, pp. 677-697. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2008.09.012
- Ouellet S., Cornin D. and Worswick M., "Compressive response of polymeric foams under quasi-static medium and high strain rate conditions," Polymer Testing, Vol. 25, No. 6, 2006, pp. 731-743. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymertesting.2006.05.005
- Avalle M., Belingardi G. and Montannini R.,"Characterization of ploymeric structural foam under compressive impact loading by means of energy-absorption diagram," Inernational Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 5, 2001, pp.455-472. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(00)00060-9
- Maea H., Omiyab M. and Kishimoto K., "Effects of strain rate and density on tensile behavior of polypropylene syntactic foam with polymer microballoons," Moterials Science & Engineering A, Vol. 477, 2008, pp. 168-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2007.05.028
- Masso-Moreu Y. and MiIIs N.J., "Impact compression of polystyrene foam pyramids," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 28, Issue 6, 2003, pp. 653-676. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(02)00148-3
- Kim J.S., Huh H., Lee K.W., Ha D.Y., Yeo T.J. and Park S.J., "Evaluation of dynamic tensile characteristics of polypropylene with temperature variation," lnternational Journal of Automotive technology, Vol. 7, No. 5, 2006, pp. 571-577.
- 최기상, 강우종, 김기훈, 김성근, "EPP 범퍼 폼의 고속대변형 특성 연구," 한국자동차공학회논문집, Vol. 17, No. 4, 2009, pp. 118-125.
- 정광영, 전성식, "동일 충격 에너지 조건하에서 다공질 고분자의 충격거동에 관한 연구," 한국복합재료학회지, 제22권 제4호, 2009, pp. 27-32.
- Ozturk U.E. and Anlas G., "Energy absorption calculations in multiple compressive loading of polymeric foams," Materials & Design, Vol. 30, Issue 1, 2009, pp. 15-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2008.04.054
- Subhash G., Liu Q., Gao Xin-Lin, "Quasistatic and high strain rate uniaxial compressive response of polymeric structural foams," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 32, 2006, pp. 1113-1126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2004.11.006
- Subhash G., "Quasistatic and dynamic crushability of polymeric foams in rigid confinement," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 36, 2009, pp. 1303-1311.
- Experimental Study for the Impact Characteristics of Expanded EPP/EPS Foams vol.26, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7234/composres.2013.26.6.343