- Volume 24 Issue 3
Flow Pattern around Floating Breakwater Using PIV Technique
- Suh, Sung-Bu (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Jung, Kwang-Hyo (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Dong-Eui University)
- Received : 2010.06.11
- Accepted : 2010.06.18
- Published : 2010.06.30
The purpose of this study is the investigation of the wave interaction with the rectangular floating breakwater. The flow profile obtained by PIV technique is represented to understand the vortical flow due to the wave interaction with a rectangular floating breakwater in the roll motion and the fixed condition. Also, the transmission coefficients are compared in both conditions over the extensive wave periods, which represent the performance of breakwater to attenuate the incoming waves. These results would be applied to design the floating breakwater having the mooring system to improve its performance for a certain wave period.
- Arunachalam, V.M. and Raman, H. (1982). "Experimental Studies on a Perforated Horizontal Floating Plate Breakwater", Ocean Engineering, Vol 9, No 1, pp 35-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-8018(82)90043-9
- Braza, M., Chassaing, P. and Minh, H.H. (1986). "Numerical Study and Physical Analysis of the Pressure and Velocity Fields in the Near Wake of a Circular Cylinder", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol 165, pp 79-130. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112086003014
- Bruce, L. and McCartney, M. (1985). "Floating Breakwater Design", Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering, Vol 111, No 2, pp 304-318. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-950X(1985)111:2(304)
- Chaplin, J.R. (1981). "On the Irrotational Flow Around a Horizontal Cylinder in Waves", Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol 48, pp 689-694. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3157717
- Chaplin, J.R. (1993). "Orbital Flow Around a Circular Cylinder. Part 2. Attached Flow at Larger Amplitudes", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol 246, pp 397-418. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112093000199
- Chen, H.C., Liu, T., Chang, K.A. and Huang, E.T. (2002). "Time-Domain Simulation of Barge Capsizing by a Chimera Domain Decomposition Approach", 12th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, KitaKyushu, Japan, May 26-31, pp 314-321.
- Dabiri, D. and Gharib, M. (1997). "Experimental Investigation of the Vorticity Generation within a Spilling Water Wave", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol 330, pp 113-139. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112096003692
- Fugazza, M. and Natale, L. (1988). "Energy Losses and Floating Breakwater Response", Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering, Vol 114, No 2, pp 191-205. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-950X(1988)114:2(191)
- Lighthill, J. (1986). "Fundamentals Concerning Wave Loading on Offshore Structures", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol 173, pp 667-681. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112086001313
- Mays, T.W., Plaut, R.H. and Liapis, S.I. (1999). "Three- Dimensional Analysis of Submerged, Moored, Horizontal, Rigid Cylinders used as Breakwaters", Ocean Engineering, Vol 26, pp 1311-1333. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-8018(98)00065-1
- Oshkai, P. and Rockwell, D. (1999). "Free Surface Wave Interaction with a Horizontal Cylinder", Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol 13, pp 935-954. https://doi.org/10.1006/jfls.1999.0237
- Raffel, M., Willert, C.E. and Kompenhans, J. (1998). Particle Image Velocimetry, Springer-Verlag.
- Rood, E.P. (1994). "Interpreting Vortex Interactions with a Free Surface", Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol 116, pp 91-94. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2910248
- Westerweel, J. (1993). Digital particle image velocimetry Theory and application, Ph.D, Dissertation, Delft University Press.
- Westerweel, J. (1994). "Efficient Detection of Spurious Vectors in Particle Image Velocimetry Data", Experiments in Fluids 16, pp 236-247.
- Willert, C.E. and Gharib, M. (1991). "Digital Particle Image Velocimetry", Experiments in Fluids 10, pp 181-193. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00190388
- Williams, A.N. and Abul-Azm, A.G. (1997). "Dual Pontoon Floating Breakwater", Ocean Engineering 24, pp 465-478. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-8018(96)00024-8
- Williams, A.N., Lee, H.S. and Huang, Z. (2000). "Floating Pontoon Breakwaters", Ocean Engineering 27, pp 221-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-8018(98)00056-0