- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
COMPUTATIONAL ANALYSIS ON THE COOLING PERFORMANCE OF GLASS FIBER COOLING UNIT WITH HELIUM GAS INJECTION
헬륨가스 주입식 유리섬유 냉각장치의 냉각성능 해석
- 오일석 (금오공과대학교 대학원 기계공학과) ;
- 김동주 (금오공과대학교 기계공학과) ;
- 우마로프 알리세르 (금오공과대학교 기계공학과) ;
- 곽호상 (금오공과대학교 기계시스템공학과) ;
- 김경진 (금오공과대학교 기계시스템공학과)
- Received : 2011.10.27
- Accepted : 2011.11.23
- Published : 2011.12.31
A modern optical fiber manufacturing process requires the sufficient cooling of glass fibers freshly drawn from the heated and softened silica preform in the furnace, since the inadequately cooled glass fibers are known to cause improper polymer resin coating on the fiber surface and to adversely affect the product quality of optical fibers. In order to greatly enhance the fiber cooling effectiveness at increasingly high fiber drawing speed, it is necessary to use a dedicated glass fiber cooling unit with helium gas injection between glass fiber drawing and coating processes. The present numerical study features a series of three-dimensional flow and heat transfer computations on the cooling gas and the fast moving glass fiber to analyze the cooling performance of glass fiber cooling unit, in which the helium is supplied through the discretely located rectangular injection holes. The air entrainment into the cooling unit at the fiber inlet is also included in the computational model and it is found to be critical in determining the helium purity in the cooling gas and the cooling effectiveness on glass fiber. The effects of fiber drawing speed and helium injection rate on the helium purity decrease by air entrainment and the glass fiber cooling are also investigated and discussed.
Supported by : 금오공과대학교
- 1999, Paek, U.C., "Free Drawing and Polymer Coating of Silica Glass Optical Fibers," Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol.121, No.4, pp.774-788. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2826066
- 1979, Paek, U.C. and Schroeder, C.M., "Forced Convective Cooling of Optical Fibers in High-Speed Coating," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol.50, No.13, pp.6144-6148. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.325788
- 1981, Paek, U.C. and Schroeder, C.M., "High Speed Coating of Optical Fibers with UV Curable Materials at a Rate of Greater Than 5 m/sec," Applied Optics, Vol.20, No.23, pp.4028-4034. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.20.004028
- 1986, Jochem, C.M.G. and Van der Ligt, J.W.C., "Cooling and Bubble-Free Coating of Optical Fibers at a High Drawing Rate," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol.LT-4, No.7, pp.739-742.
- 1993, Vaskopulos, T., Polymeropoulos, C. and Zebib, A., "Heat Transfer from Optical Fiber During the Draw Process," Journal of Materials Processing and Manufacturing Science, Vol.1, No.3, pp.261-271.
- 1995, Vaskopulos, T., Polymeropoulos, C. and Zebib, A., "Cooling of Optical Fiber in Aiding and Opposing Forced Gas Flow," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol.38, No.11, pp.1933-1944. https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(94)00334-R
- 2001, Tschümperlé, D. and Nicolardot, M., "Fiber Cooling Modelisation During Draw Using CFD," ASME CFD Symposium: 3rd International Symposium on Computational Technologies for Fluid/Thermal/Chemical Systems with Industrial Applications, Atlanta, GA.
- 2001, Tschumperle, D., Bourhis, J.F., Dubois, S. and Leon, A., "Study of Cooling Tubes for Fiber Drawing Using CFD," 50th IWCS Conference, Lake Buena Vista, FL.
- 2002, Tschumperle, D. and Leon, A., "Design of an Efficient Cooling Tube for Optical Fiber Manufacturing at High Draw Speeds," 51th IWCS Conference, Lake Buena Vista, FL.
- 2010, Kim, K., Kim, D., Kwak, H.S., Park, S.H. and Song, S.H., "Helium Concentration Decrease Due to Air Entrainment into Glass Fiber Cooling Unit in a High-Speed Optical Fiber Drawing Process," Journal of Computational Fluids Engineering, Vol.15, No.4, pp.92-98.
- 2011, Oh, I.-S., Kim, D., Kwak, H.S. and Kim, K., "Thermo-Fluid Analysis on the Helium Injection Cooling of Glass Fiber for High-Speed Optical Fiber Manufacturing Process," 2011 Spring Conference of KSCFE, Jeju, Korea.