- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Enzyme-Treated Radish Leaves on Lipid Metabolism in Rats Fed a High-Fat Diet
- Kim, Yu-Na (School of Food Science, International University of Korea) ;
- Ku, Kyung-Hyung (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kang, Sin-Kwon (School of Food Science, International University of Korea) ;
- Choi, Jeong-Hwa (School of Food Science, International University of Korea)
- Received : 2010.12.10
- Accepted : 2011.01.26
- Published : 2011.03.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of enzyme-treated radish (Raphanus sativus L.) leaves on lipid metabolism in rats fed a high fat diet. Rats were divided into four experimental groups which were composed of a high fat diet group (HF group), a high fat diet with 10% radish leaf powder-supplemented group (MA group), a high fat diet with 5% enzyme-treated radish leaf powder-supplemented group (MB group) and a high fat diet with 10% enzyme-treated radish leaf powder-supplemented group (MC group). Total dietary fiber content of enzyme-treated radish leaves were greater than untreated radish leaves. Body weight gain and food efficiency ratio (FER) of the HF group increased compared to the MA, MB and MC groups. The serum total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol and atherogenic index contents in the radish leaf powder-supplemented groups were lower than that of the HF group, while those values for the MB and MC groups were significantly lower than that of the HF group. The serum HDL-cholesterol contents of the MB and MC groups increased compared to the HF group. The hepatic triglyceride contents of the MA, MB and MC groups decreased compared to the HF group. In fact, the hepatic triglyceride contents of the MB and MC groups were significantly lower than the MA group. The hepatic total cholesterol contents of the MB and MC groups significantly decreased compared to those of the HF group. The fecal total cholesterol contents of the MA, MB and MC groups significantly increased compared to those of the HF group. These results indicate that supplementation with enzyme-treated radish leaves increase the useful fiber contents. Furthermore, it may have a pronounced impact on lipid metabolism of serum and liver in rats fed a high fat diet.
- Han JS, Kim JS, Kim MS, Choi YH. 1999. Changes on mineral contents of vegetable by various cooking methods.Korean J Soc Food Sci 15: 382-387.
- Kang HJ, Song YS. 1997. Dietary fiber and cholesterol metabolism. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 26: 358-369.
- Kang BS, Won HJ, Ham YT, Kim HK, Kim BY. 2000.Effects of extruded Job's-tear cereal on lipid metabolismin high fat fed rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29:252-256.
- Yoon HJ, Park YS. 2010. Effects of Scutellaria baicalensis water extract on lipid metabolism and antioxidant defensesystem in rats fed high fat diet. J Korean Soc Food SciNutr 39: 219-226. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.2.219
- Choi SE, Shim JG, Oh MH, Kwon SH, Lee MW. 2009.Anti-hyperlipidemic effect of Sophorae Fructus on hyperlipidemicrat induced by high fat-rich diet. Kor JPharmacogn 40: 244-250.
- Cho HE, Choi YH, Park SH, Park YS, Ahn BY. 2008.Effect of Gastrodiae rhizoma powder on serum and liverlipid levels of rats with high fat diet. Korean J Food Nutr21: 64-70.
- Hong HD, Kim YC, Keum IK, Kim SS, Kyung IK, HanCK. 2005. Effect of Gastrodiae rhizoma fractions on serumlipid concentrations in rats fed with high fat diet. JKorean Soc Appl Biol Chem 48: 370-374.
- Shin JH, Lee SJ, Sung NJ. 2002. Effects of Zingiber mioga, Zingiber mioga root and Zingiber officinale on thelipid concentration in hyperlipidemic rats. J Korean SocFood Sci Nutr 31: 679-684. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.4.679
- Kim JH, Kim JB. 2008. Effects of Astragali radix on the diet-induced hyperlipidemia in rats. Korean J OrientalPhysiology & Pathology 22: 575-579.
- Ku KH, Lee KA, Kim YE. 2008. Physiological activity of extracts from radish (Raphanus sativus L.) leaves. JKorean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 390-395. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.3.390
Cho EH, Choi AR, Choi SJ, Kim SY, Lee GS, Lee SS,Chae HJ. 2009.
$\alpha$-Amylase activity of radish and stabilityin processing. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 812-815. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.6.812
- Tinker LF, Davis PA, Schneeman BO. 1994. Prune fiber or pectin compared with cellulose lowers plasma and liver lipids in rats with diet-induced hyperlipidemia. J Nutr 124: 31-40. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/124.1.31
- Anderson JW, Jones AE, Riddell-Mason S. 1994. Ten different dietary fibers have significantly different effects on serum and liver lipids of cholesterol-fed rats. J Nutr 124: 78-83. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/124.1.78
- Yang JL, Suh MJ, Song YS. 1997. Postprandial plasma lipid levels and digestive enzyme activities after high fat meal in rats adapted to dietary fiber. J Korean Soc FoodSci Nutr 26: 116-122.
- Torsdottir J, Alpsten M, Holm G, Sandberg AS, Tolli J.1991. A small dose of soluble alginate fiber affects postparandial glycemia and gastric emptying in humans with diabetes. J Nutr 121: 795-799. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/121.6.795
- Dabai FD, Walker AF, Sambrook IE, Welch VA, OwenRW, Abeyasekera S. 1996. Comparative effects on blood lipids and faecal steroids of five legume species incorporated into a semi-purified hypercholesterolaemic rat diet. Br J Nutr 75: 557-571. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19960159
- Oh SH, Park JJ, Choi IS, Ro HK. 2007. Effects of cellulose and pectin on diet-induced thermo genesis in young woman. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 194-200. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.2.194
- Shin HH, Park BS, Lee SH, Kim YS, Hwang JK. 2005.Effect of extrusion and enzyme treatment on characteristics of whole grains. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 15-22.
- Heo SJ, Jeon YJ. 2005. Antioxidant effect and protecting effect against cell damage by enzymatic hydrolysates from marine algae. Food Industry and Nutrition 10: 31-41.
- Ku KH, Lee MK, Park WS, Kim YJ, Lee YH, Lee KA,Park YH, Choi JH. 2007. Manufacturing method for radish leaves (Raphanus sativus L.) with enriched dietary fiber and processed foods. Korean Patent 10.0738680.
- Proscky L, Asp NG, Schewizer TF, DeVries JW, FurdaI. 1988. Determination of insoluble, soluble, and total dietary fiber in foods and food products interlaboratory study.J Assoc Off Anal Chem 71: 1017-1023.
- Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fedreicson DS. 1972. Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Chem 18: 499-502.
- Fiordaliso M, Kok N, Desager KP, Goethals F, DeboyserD, Roberfoid M, Kelzenne N. 1995. Dietary oligofructose lowers triglycerides, phospholipids and cholesterol in serum and very low density lipoproteins of rats. Lipids 30 : 163-167. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02538270
- Folch JM, Lee M, Stanley GHS. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissue. J Biol Chem 26: 497-509.
- Sale FD, Marchesini S, Fishman PH, Berra B. 1984. A sensitive enzymatic assay for determination of cholesterol in lipid extracts. Anal Biochem 142: 347-350. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(84)90475-5
- Steel RGD, Torrie JH. 1990. Principles and procedures of statistics. McGrow Hill, New York, NY, USA.
- Jang HS, Ahn JM, Ku KH, Rhee SJ, Kang SK, Choi JH.2008. Effects of radish leaves powder on the gastrointestinal function and fecal triglyceride, and sterol excretionin rats fed a hyper cholesterolemic diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 1258-1263. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.10.1258
- Shin DB, Hawer WD, Lee YC. 2007. Effects of enzyme treatments on yield and flavor compounds of garlic extracts.Korean J Food Sci Technol 39: 276-282.
- Han JS, Han YB. 1994. The effect of high fat diet and dietary fiber on lipid metabolism in rats. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 23: 541-547.
- Woo DH, Kang HS, Lee YS. 1998. Effects of indigestible dextrin on lipid metabolism in rats fed normal or high fat diet. Korean J Nutr 31: 981-990.
- Nishina PM, Schneeman BO, Freedall RA. 1991. Effects of dietary fibers on nonfasting plasma lipoprotein and apolipoprotein levels in rats. J Nutr 121: 431-437. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/121.4.431
- Yukiko Y, Yuko T, Mitsuyoshi K, Masaru I, Takashi M,Shigeru S, Hidemasa Y. 1999. In vitro digestibility and fermentability of levan and its hypocholesterolemic effects in rats. J Nutr Biochem 19: 13-18.
- Song YJ, Hong HH. 2000. Effects of soluble dietary fiber on skeletal muscle GLUT4 protein contents in SHRSP fed a high-fat diet. Korean J Nutr 33: 712-716.
- Lee SH, Kim KN, Cha SH, Ahn GN, Jeon YJ. 2008.Comparison of antioxidant of enzymatic methanolic extractsfrom Ecklonia cava stem and leave. J Korean SocFood Sci Nutr 35: 1139-1145. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.9.1139
- Kang HJ, Song YS. 1997. Dietary fiber and cholesterol metabolism. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 358-369.
- Yim JH, Cheong IH, Park TH, Lee YB, Han JH, ParkJS, Lee KH. 2007. Effect of dietary fiber from soybean hull on recovery of diarrhea in rats. Korean J Food SciTechnol 39: 588-592.