- Volume 23 Issue 6
The Effects of Aromatherapy on Sleep Disorders, Satisfaction of Sleep and Fatigue in Hemodialysis Patients
향기요법이 혈액투석 환자의 수면장애, 수면 만족도, 피로에 미치는 효과
- Lee, Eun-Ja (College of Nursing Science, Gachon University of Medicine and Science) ;
- Kim, Bok-Soon (Department of Nursing, Gachon University Gil Hospital) ;
- Sa, In-Hae (Department of Nursing, Gachon University Gil Hospital) ;
- Moon, Kyung-Eun (Department of Nursing, Gachon University Gil Hospital) ;
- Kim, Jeong-Hwa (College of Nursing Science, Kyunghee University)
- Received : 2011.07.14
- Accepted : 2011.12.21
- Published : 2011.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify the effects of aromatherapy on sleep disorders, satisfaction of sleep and fatigue in hemodialysis patients. Methods: The study design was a quasi-experimental study with nonequivalent control group pretest-posttest design. The subjects were assigned an experimental group (N=17) and a control group (N=17). The experimental group had inhaled lavender and sweet orange for 2 minutes three times a day for 7 days. Sleep disorders were measured using Sleep Measuring Instrument and satisfaction of sleep was gauged using Visual Analogue Scale. Fatigue was checked using Fatigue Measuring instrument. Collected data were analyzed by
- Bae, Y. S. (2009). The effect of music therapy in fatigue and anxiety in hemodialysis patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Dongeui University, Busan.
- Buckle, J. (2001). The role of aromatherapy in nursing care. Nursing Clinics of North America, 36 (1), 57-72.
- Certification Academy for Holistic Aromatherapy(2008). Aromatherapy level I, II. Seoul: CAHA.
- Choi, E. Y. (2005). Prediction model of fatigue for hemodialysis patients. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyung Hee University, Seoul.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for behavioral science. New York: Academic Press.
- End Stage Renal Disease Registry Committee. (2010). Current renal replacement therapy in Korea-Insan memorial dialysis registry 2009. Retrieved December 16, 2010, from The Korean Society of Nephrology Web site: http://www.ksn.or.kr/journal/2010/index.html
- Field, T. T., Field, C., Cullen, S., Largie, M., Diego, S., Schanberg, S., et al. (2008). Lavender bath oil reduces stress and crying and enhances sleep in very young infants. Early Human Development, 84 (6), 399-401.
- Goel, N. H., Kim, H., & Lao, R. P. (2005). An olfactory stimulus modifies nighttime sleep in young men and women. Chronobiology International, 22 (5), 889-904
- Jang, E. H. (2009). The effects of aromatic inhalation therapy to emergency care-unit Nurse stress and fatigue. Unpublished master's thesis, Gachon University, Incheon.
- Jo, M. J. (2010). The effects of aroma inhalation on stress, fatigue, mood, and vital signs of the nurses in the operating rooms. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 22, 153-160.
- Jo, S. J. (2000). Miracle of aromatherapy, Seoul: Woosuk.
- Kang, S. J., & Kim, N. Y. (2008). The effects of aroma hand massage on pruritus, fatigue and stress of hemodialysis patients. Journal of Korean academy of Adult Nursing, 20, 883-894.
- Kim, H. K. (2002). Study on the fatigue levels of hemodialysis patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Kim, H. Y. (2008). The effect of aromatherapy on anxiety and sleep of patients with coronary angiography. Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, Cheonan.
- Kim, J. A. (1999). Postdialysis fatigue and related factors in patients on hemodialysis. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University. Seoul.
- Kim, O. J., Kim, K. H., & Park, K. S. (2007). The effect of aroma inhalation on stress, anxiety and sleep pattern in patients with hemodialysis. Clinical Nursing Research, 13 (2), 99-111.
- Kim, Y. H. (2009). The effects of aroma hand massage using lavender oil on improvement of sleep quality of the elderly inpatients. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Cheonan.
- Lee, H. J. (2006). The effects of foot reflexologic massage on the hemodialysis patient's lower limbs edema, fatigue, and sleep. Unpublished master's thesis, Sungshin Women's University, Seoul.
- Lee, K. H. (2000). The effects of inhalation method using lavender essential oil on sleep disturbance and depression in middle-aged women. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Busan.
- Lee, S. H. (2002). Effects of aromatherapy program on depression and fatigue in middle aged women. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 8 (3), 435-445.
- Lee, Y. H., & Kim, S. Y. (2007). Effects of auricular acupressure therapy on insomnia in hemodialysis patients. Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, 10 (1), 21-28
- Min, H. S., & Lee, E. J. (2006). Study of the relationship between complience with therapeutic regimens and physiological parameters of hemodialysis patients. Journal of Korean Academic nursing, 36 (1). 64-73.
- Nam, E. M. (2004). A study on the effects of the aromatic therapy on the hepatocellular carcinima patients' sleep and anxiety. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul
- Oh, H. G. (2002). Aromatherapy handbook, Yangmoonsa.
- Oh, J. J., Song, M. S., & Kim, S. M. (1998). Development and validation of Korean sleep scale. Journal of Korean Academic Nursing, 28, 563-572.
- Pai, M. F., Hsu, S. P., Yang, S. Y., Ho, T. I., Lai, C. F., & Peng, Y. S. (2007). Sleep disturbance in chronic hemodialysis patients: The impact of depression and anemia. Renal Failure, 29 (6), 673-677.
- Park, C. N. (2011). The effects of aroma inhalation on sleep and fatigue recovery in night shift nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Gachon University, Incheon.
- Schiffmann, S. S. (1995). Effects of pleasant odor on mood of males at midwife: Comparison of African-American and European-American men. Brain Research, 36 (1), 31-37.
- Tack, B. B. (1991). Dimension and correlates of fatigue in older adults with rheumatoid arthritis. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of California, San-Francisco, USA.