- Volume 28 Issue 1
Clinical Application of Mesenchymal Stem Cells in a Dog with Intervertebral Disc Disease
추간판 탈출증이 발생한 개에서 동종의 지방유래 줄기세포의 임상적 적용
- Kim, Young-Ki (Lab. of Veterinary Surgery and Behavior, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Seung-Yong (Lab. of Veterinary Surgery and Behavior, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Park, Se-Jin (Lab. of Veterinary Surgery and Behavior, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Scott-S. (Lab. of Veterinary Surgery and Behavior, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Kim, Jin-Hyun (Clinical Research Institute, Gyeongsang National University Hospital) ;
- Lee, Hee-Chun (Institute of Animal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Chang, Hong-Hee (Institute of Animal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Hyo-Jong (Lab. of Veterinary Surgery and Behavior, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Yeon, Seong-Chan (Lab. of Veterinary Surgery and Behavior, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University)
- 김영기 (경상대학교 수의과대학 수의외과, 행동학 연구실) ;
- 이승용 (경상대학교 수의과대학 수의외과, 행동학 연구실) ;
- 박세진 (경상대학교 수의과대학 수의외과, 행동학 연구실) ;
- 이스캇 (경상대학교 수의과대학 수의외과, 행동학 연구실) ;
- 김진현 (경상대학교 병원 임상의학연구소) ;
- 이희천 (경상대학교 수의과대학 동물의학연구소) ;
- 장홍희 (경상대학교 수의과대학 동물의학연구소) ;
- 이효종 (경상대학교 수의과대학 수의외과, 행동학 연구실) ;
- 연성찬 (경상대학교 수의과대학 수의외과, 행동학 연구실)
- Accepted : 2011.01.17
- Published : 2011.02.28
A 5-year old, intact male, Cocker spaniel dog was referred with paraplegia and loss of deep pain perception. Physical, neurological examinations, radiography, and computed tomography were evaluated. Based on the clinical examinations, the dog was diagnosed with severe disc herniation (
후지마비와 심부통각의 소실을 보이는 5 년령의 수컷 Cocker Spaniel이 내원하였다. 신체검사, 신경검사, 방사선검사와 컴퓨터 단층촬영결과 심부통각의 소실을 동반한 요추 2번과 3번 사이의 디스크 탈출증으로 진단하였다. 편측 추궁 절제술을 시행하여 감압술과 탈출된 디스크 물질을 제거하였으며
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Barnett SC, Riddell JS. Olfactory ensheathing cell transplantation as a strategy for spinal cord repair - what can it achieve?. Nat Clin Pract Neurol 2007; 3: 152-161. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncpneuro0447
- Brown NO, Helphrey ML, Prata RG. Thoracolumbar disk disease in the dog: A retrospective analysis of 187 cases. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1977; 13: 665-672.
- Cova L, Ratti A, Volta M, Fogh I, Cardin V, Corbo M, Silani V. Stem cell therapy for neurodegenerative diseases: The issue of transdifferentiation. Stem Cells Dev 2004; 13: 121-131. https://doi.org/10.1089/154732804773099326
- Cowan CM, Shi YY, Aalami OO, Chou YF, Mari C, Thomas R, Quarto N, Contag CH, Wu B, Longaker MT. Adiposederived adult stromal cells heal critical-size mouse calvarial defects. Nat Biotechnol 2004; 22: 560-567. https://doi.org/10.1038/nbt958
- Dhupa S, Glickman NW, Waters DJ. Functional outcome in dogs after surgical treatment of caudal lumbar intervertebral disk herniation. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1999; 35: 323-331.
- Erices A, Conget P, Minguell JJ. Mesenchymal progenitor cells in human umbilical cord blood. Br J Haematol 2000; 109: 235-242. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2141.2000.01986.x
- Ferreira AJA, Correia JHD, Jaggy A. Thoracolumbar disc disease in 71 paraplegic dogs: Influence of rate of onset and duration of clinical signs on treatment results. J Small Anim Pract 2002; 43: 158-163. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.2002.tb00049.x
- James PT, David JW. Intervertebral disc disease. In: Textbook of Small Animal Surgery, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Saunders. 2002: 1193-1209.
- Gimble JM, Guilak F. Adipose-derived adult stem cells: Isolation, characterization, and differentiation potential. Cytotherapy 2003; 5: 362-369. https://doi.org/10.1080/14653240310003026
- Hiyama A, Mochida J, Iwashina T, Omi H, Watanabe T, Serigano K, Tamura F, Sakai D. Transplantation of mesenchymal stem cells in a canine disc degeneration model. J Orthop Res 2008; 26: 589-600. https://doi.org/10.1002/jor.20584
- Hui L, Feng SQ, Chen JT, Han MY, Wang CY, Yu TQ. Repair of spinal cord injury using schwann cells in rats: Feasibility and superiority of intravenous transplantation. J Clin Rehab Tissue Eng Res 2010; 14: 3305-3309.
- Joo YO, Mee KK, Mi SS, Hyun JL, Jung HK, Won RW, Jin HL. The anti-inflammatory and anti-angiogenic role of mesenchymal stem cells in corneal wound healing following chemical injury. Stem Cells 2008; 26: 1047-1055.
- Jung DI, Ha J, Kang BT, Kim JW, Quan FS, Lee JH, Woo EJ, Park HM. A comparison of autologous and allogenic bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in canine spinal cord injury. J Neurol Sci 2009; 285: 67-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2009.05.027
- Kang SK, Lee DH, Bae YC, Kim HK, Baik SY, Jung JS. Improvement of neurological deficits by intracerebral transplantation of human adipose tissue-derived stromal cells after cerebral ischemia in rats. Exp Neurol 2003; 183: 355-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-4886(03)00089-X
- Kang SK, Shin MJ, Jung JS, Kim YG, Kim CH. Autologous adipose tissue-derived stromal cells for treatment of spinal cord injury. Stem Cells Dev 2006; 15: 583-594. https://doi.org/10.1089/scd.2006.15.583
- Lepore AC, Bakshi A, Swanger SA, Rao MS, Fischer I. Neural precursor cells can be delivered into the injured cervical spinal cord by intrathecal injection at the lumbar cord. Brain Res 2005; 1045: 206-216.
- Lim JH, Byeon YE, Ryu HH, Jeong YH, Lee YW, Wan HK, Kang KS, Kweon OK. Transplantation of canine umbilical cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem cells in experimentally induced spinal cord injured dogs. J Vet Sci 2007; 8: 275-282. https://doi.org/10.4142/jvs.2007.8.3.275
- Lu P, Jones LL, Snyder EY, Tuszynski MH. Neural stem cells constitutively secrete neurotrophic factors and promote extensive host axonal growth after spinal cord injury. Exp Neurol 2003; 181: 115-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-4886(03)00037-2
- Nishio Y, Koda M, Kamada T, Someya Y, Yoshinaga K, Okada S, Harada H, Okawa A, Moriya H, Yamazaki M. The use of hemopoietic stem cells derived from human umbilical cord blood to promote restoration of spinal cord tissue and recovery of hindlimb function in adult rats. J Neurosurg Spine 2006; 5: 424-433. https://doi.org/10.3171/spi.2006.5.5.424
- Olby N, Levine J, Harris T, Munana K, Skeen T, Sharp N. Long-term functional outcome of dogs with severe injuries of the thoracolumbar spinal cord: 87 cases (1996-2001). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2003; 222: 762-769. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.2003.222.762
- Olby NJ, De Risio L, Munana KR, Wosar MA, Skeen TM, Sharp NJH, Keene BW. Development of a functional scoring system in dogs with acute spinal cord injuries. Am J Vet Res 2001; 62: 1624-1628. https://doi.org/10.2460/ajvr.2001.62.1624
- Osaka M, Honmou O, Murakami T, Nonaka T, Houkin K, Hamada H, Kocsis JD. Intravenous administration of mesenchymal stem cells derived from bone marrow after contusive spinal cord injury improves functional outcome. Brain Res 2010; 1343: 226-235.
- Prata RG. Neurosurgical treatment of thoracolumbar disks: The rationale and value of laminectomy with concomitant disk removal. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1981; 17: 17-26.
- Ryu HH, Lim JH, Byeon YE, Park JR, Seo MS, Lee YW, Kim WH, Kang KS, Kweon OK. Functional recovery and neural differentiation after transplantation of allogenic adiposederived stem cells in a canine model of acute spinal cord injury. J Vet Sci 2009; 10: 273-284. https://doi.org/10.4142/jvs.2009.10.4.273
- Satake K, Lou J, Lenke LG. Migration of mesenchymal stem cells through cerebrospinal fluid into injured spinal cord tissue. Spine 2004; 29: 1971-1979. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000138273.02820.0a
- Scott HW. Hemilaminectomy for the treatment of thoracolumbar disc disease in the dog: A follow-up study of 40 cases. J Small Anim Pract 1997; 38: 488-494. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.1997.tb03303.x
- Scott HW, Mckee WM. Laminectomy for 34 dogs with thoracolumbar intervertebral disc disease and loss of deep pain perception. J Small Anim Pract 1999; 40: 417-422. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.1999.tb03114.x
- Sharp NJH, Wheeler SJ. Thoracolumbar disc disease. In: Small Animal Spinal Disorders: Diagnosis and Surgery 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Mosby. 2005: 121-160.
- Wu S, Suzuki Y, Ejiri Y, Noda T, Bai H, Kitada M, Kataoka K, Ohta M, Chou H, Ide C. Bone marrow stromal cells enhance differentiation of cocultured neurosphere cells and promote regeneration of injured spinal cord. J Neurosci Res 2003; 72: 343-351. https://doi.org/10.1002/jnr.10587
- Zhao LR, Duan WM, Reyes M, Keene CD, Verfaillie CM, Low WC. Human bone marrow stem cells exhibit neural phenotypes and ameliorate neurological deficits after grafting into the ischemic brain of rats. Exp Neurol 2002; 174: 11-20. https://doi.org/10.1006/exnr.2001.7853
- Zhao ZM, Li HJ, Liu HY, Lu SH, Yang RC, Zhang QJ, Han ZC. Intraspinal transplantation of CD34+ human umbilical cord blood cells after spinal cord hemisection injury improves functional recovery in adult rats. Cell Transplant 2004; 13: 113-122.
- Zurita M, Vaquero J. Bone marrow stromal cells can achieve cure of chronic paraplegic rats: Functional and morphological outcome one year after transplantation. Neurosci Lett 2006; 402: 51-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2006.03.069