- Volume 24 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Daily Functioning in Chronic Pain: Study of Structural Relations with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms, Pain Intensity, and Pain Avoidance
- Cho, Sung-Kun (Department of Psychology, College of Medicine, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Heiby, Elaine M. (Department of Psychology, University of Hawaii at Manoa) ;
- McCracken, Lance M. (Centre for Pain Service, Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Disease) ;
- Moon, Dong-Eon (Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, School of Medicine) ;
- Lee, Jang-Han (Department of Psychology, College of Medicine, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2011.01.07
- Accepted : 2011.01.28
- Published : 2011.03.01
Background: This study aimed to evaluate processes from the mutual maintenance model in relation to daily functioning in patients with both chronic pain and a history of a traumatic experience. The mechanism illustrated the structural relations for daily functioning among pain intensity, hyperarousal, re-experiencing, trauma avoidance, and pain avoidance. Methods: Archival data (N = 214) was used for this study and data were analyzed for 142 chronic pain patients reporting a traumatic experience and seeking treatment at a tertiary pain clinic in Korea. Results: The results indicated that pain intensity, hyperarousal, and pain avoidance had significant direct effects on daily functioning. Also, pain intensity showed significant indirect effects on daily functioning through hyperarousal and pain avoidance; and hyperarousal through pain avoidance. Conclusions: Results suggest a direct contribution of high levels of pain, hyperarousal symptoms of PTSD, and pain avoidance behaviors to reduced daily functioning. Also, elevated pain as reminders of the trauma may trigger high levels of hyperarousal symptoms of PTSD. Subsequently, avoidant coping strategies may be used to minimize pain so that the trauma would not be re-experienced, thus inhibiting the activation of hyperarousal symptoms of PTSD. However, prolonged use of such strategies may contribute to decline in daily functioning.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Asmundson GJ, Coons MJ, Taylor S, Katz J. PTSD and the experience of pain: research and clinical implications of shared vulnerability and mutual maintenance models. Can J Psychiatry 2002; 47: 930-7. https://doi.org/10.1177/070674370204701004
- Tomarken AJ, Waller NG. Potential problems with "well fitting" models. J Abnorm Psychol 2003; 112: 578-98. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.112.4.578
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 4th ed. Washington DC, American Psychiatric Association. 2000.
- Laursen BS, Bajaj P, Olesen AS, Delmar C, Arendt-Nielsen L. Health related quality of life and quantitative pain measurement in females with chronic non-malignant pain. Eur J Pain 2005; 9: 267-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpain.2004.07.003
- McCracken LM, Gauntlett-Gilbert J, Vowles KE. The role of mindfulness in a contextual cognitive-behavioral analysis of chronic pain-related suffering and disability. Pain 2007; 131: 63-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2006.12.013
- Schnurr PP, Hayes AF, Lunney CA, McFall M, Uddo M. Longitudinal analysis of the relationship between symptoms and quality of life in veterans treated for posttraumatic stress disorder. J Consult Clin Psychol 2006; 74: 707-13. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.74.4.707
- Zayfert C, Dums AR, Ferguson RJ, Hegel MT. Health functioning impairments associated with posttraumatic stress disorder, anxiety disorders, and depression. J Nerv Ment Dis 2002; 190: 233-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005053-200204000-00004
- Clapp JD, Beck JG, Palyo SA, Grant DM. An examination of the synergy of pain and PTSD on quality of life: additive or multiplicative effects? Pain 2008; 138: 301-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2008.01.001
- Katz J, Asmundson GJ, McRae K, Halket E. Emotional numbing and pain intensity predict the development of pain disability up to one year after lateral thoracotomy. Eur J Pain 2009; 13: 870-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpain.2008.10.003
- Tsui P, Stein T, Sonty N. The relationship among PTSD symptoms, chronic pain acceptance, and disability. J Pain 2010; 11: S58.
- Sharp TJ, Harvey AG. Chronic pain and posttraumatic stress disorder: mutual maintenance? Clin Psychol Rev 2001; 21: 857-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-7358(00)00071-4
- Beck JG, Freeman JB, Shipherd JC, Hamblen JL, Lackner JM. Specificity of Stroop interference in patients with pain and PTSD. J Abnorm Psychol 2001; 110: 536-43. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.110.4.536
- MacLeod CM. Half a century of research on the Stroop effect: an integrative review. Psychol Bull 1991; 109: 163-203.
- Geisser ME, Roth RS, Bachman JE, Eckert TA. The relationship between symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder and pain, affective disturbance, and disability among patients with accident and non-accident related pain. Pain 1996; 66: 207-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(96)03038-2
- Blanchard EB, Kolb LC, Geradi RJ, Ryan P, Pallmeyer TP. Cardiac response to relevant stimuli as an adjunctive tool for diagnosing post-traumatic stress disorder in Vietnam veterans. Behav Ther 1986; 17: 592-606. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7894(86)80097-1
- Jensen MP, Karoly P. Self-report scales and procedures for assessing pain in adults. In: Handbook of pain assessment. 2nd ed. Edited by Turk DC, Melzack R. New York, Guilford Press. 2001, pp 15-34.
- Foa EB, Cashman L, Jaycox L, Perry K. The validation of a self-report measure of posttraumatic stress disorder: The Posttraumatic Diagnostic Scale. Psychol Assessment 1997; 9: 445-51.
- Nam B, Kwon HI, Kwon JH. Psychometric qualities of the Korean version of the Post-traumatic Diagnosis Scale (PDS-K). Korean J Clin Psychol 2010; 29: 147-67. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2010.29.1.009
- McCracken LM, Dhingra L. A short version of the Pain Anxiety Symptoms Scale (PASS-20): preliminary development and validity. Pain Res Manag 2002; 7: 45-50. https://doi.org/10.1155/2002/517163
- Coons MJ, Hadjistavropoulos HD, Asmundson GJ. Factor structure and psychometric properties of the Pain Anxiety Symptoms Scale-20 in a community physiotherapy clinic sample. Eur J Pain 2004; 8: 511-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpain.2003.11.018
- Cho S, Lee SM, McCracken LM, Moon DE, Heiby EM. Psychometric properties of a Korean version of the Pain Anxiety Symptoms Scale-20 in chronic pain patients. Int J Behav Med 2010; 17: 108-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12529-010-9080-2
- Ware JE Jr, Sherbourne CD. The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36). I. Conceptual framework and item selection. Med care 1992; 30: 473-83. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199206000-00002
- Hays RD, Sherbourne CD, Mazel RM. The RAND 36-item health survey 1.0. Health Econ 1993; 2: 217-27. https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.4730020305
- Brazier JE, Harper R, Jones NM, O'Cathain A, Thomas KJ, Usherwood T, et al. Validating the SF-36 health survey questionnaire: new outcome measure for primary care. BMJ 1992; 305: 160-4. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.305.6846.160
- Garratt AM, Ruta DA, Abdalla MI, Buckingham JK, Russell IT. The SF36 health survey questionnaire: an outcome measure suitable for routine use within the NHS? BMJ 1993; 306: 1440-4. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.306.6890.1440
- Han CW, Lee EJ, Iwaya T, Kataoka H, Kohzuki M. Development of the Korean version of Short-Form 36-Item Health Survey: health related QOL of healthy elderly people and elderly patients in Korea. Tohoku J Exp Med 2004; 203: 189-94. https://doi.org/10.1620/tjem.203.189
- Koh SB, Chang SJ, Kang MG, Cha BS, Park JK. Reliability and validity on measurement instrument for health status assessment in occupational workers. Korean J Prev Med 1997; 30: 251-66.
- Steiger JH. Structural model evaluation and modification: An interval estimation approach. Multivar Behav Res 1990; 25: 173-80. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327906mbr2502_4
- Bentler PM. Comparative fit indexes in structural models. Psychol Bull 1990; 107: 238-46.
- Hu L, Bentler PM. Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Struct Eq Model 1999; 6: 1-55. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- Loehlin JC. Latent variable models: an introduction to factor, path, and structural analysis. 2nd ed. Hillsdale, NJ, Lawrence Erlbaum. 1992.
- Shrout PE, Bolger N. Mediation in experimental and nonexperimental studies: new procedures and recommendations. Psychol Methods 2002; 7: 422-45. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.7.4.422
- Leveille SG, Guralnik JM, Ferrucci L, Hirsch R, Simonsick E, Hochberg MC. Foot pain and disability in older women. Am J Epidemiol 1998; 148: 657-65. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/148.7.657
- Unruh AM, Henriksson C. Psychological, environmental and behavioural dimensions ofthe pain experience. In: Pain: A textbook for therapists. Edited by Strong J, Unruh AM, Wright, Baxter GD. London, Churchill Livingstone. 2002, pp 65-79.
- Asmundson GJ, Norton PJ, Norton GR. Beyond pain: the role of fear and avoidance in chronicity. Clin Psychol Rev 1999; 19: 97-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-7358(98)00034-8
- McCracken LM, Gross RT, Aikens J, Carnrike CL Jr. The assessment of anxiety and fear in persons with chronic pain: a comparison of instruments. Behav Res Ther 1996; 34: 927-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7967(96)00057-5
- McCracken LM, Zayfert C, Gross RT. The pain anxiety symptoms scale: development and validation of a scale to measure fear of pain. Pain 1992; 50: 67-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(92)90113-P
- Kulka RA, Schlenger WE, Fairbank JA, Hough RL, Jordan BK, Marmar CR, et al. Trauma and the Vietnam War generation: report of findings from the National Vietnam Veterans Readjustment Study. New York, Brunner/Mazel, 1990.
- Resick PA, Calhoun KS. Posttraumatic stress disorder. In: Clinical handbook of psychological disorders. 3rd ed. Edited by Barlow DH. New York, Guilford Press. 2001, pp 60-113.
- Bigatti SM, Hernandez AM, Cronan TA, Rand KL. Sleep disturbances in fibromyalgia syndrome: relationship to pain and depression. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 59: 961-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.23828
- American Psychiatric Association. Insomnia: Both Symptom and Syndrome. Psychiatr News 2005; 40: 30.
- Sharp TJ. The prevalence of post-traumatic stress disorder in chronic pain patients. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2004; 8: 111-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11916-004-0024-x
- Breckler SJ. Applications of covariance structure modeling in psychology: cause for concern. Psychol Bull 1990; 107: 260-73. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.107.2.260
- Chronic Pain and Its Determinants: A Population-based Study in Southern Iran vol.25, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3344/kjp.2012.25.4.245
- Pain and somatic symptoms are sequelae of sexual assault: Results of a prospective longitudinal study vol.18, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1532-2149.2013.00395.x
- Relieving Pain with Acupuncture after Inguinal Surgeries vol.26, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3344/kjp.2013.26.3.312
- An examination of the structural link between post-traumatic stress symptoms and chronic pain in the framework of fear-avoidance models vol.18, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1532-2149.2014.00459.x
- Etifoxine for Pain Patients with Anxiety vol.28, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3344/kjp.2015.28.1.4
- Examining the Latent Structure of Acute Stress Disorder Symptoms in Filipino-Victims of a Flashflood Disaster vol.51, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-015-9826-z
- Post-traumatic stress symptoms in children and adolescents with chronic pain: A topical review of the literature and a proposed framework for future research vol.20, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/ejp.879
- Assessing the Factor Structure of Acute Stress Disorder Symptoms Among Filipino Adolescent Survivors of a Deadly Flash Flood Disaster vol.9, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12187-015-9340-4
- Social support, social undermining, and acute clinical pain in women: Mediational pathways of negative cognitive appraisal and emotion pp.1461-7277, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105318796189
- Reciprocal associations of pain and post-traumatic stress symptoms after whiplash injury: A longitudinal, cross-lagged study vol.22, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/ejp.1178