- Volume 15 Issue 2
Achilles Tendon Rupture Associated with Ipsilateral Bimalleolar Fracture (A Case Report)
아킬레스건 파열과 동반된 동측 족관절 양과 골절(1예 보고)
- Chung, Hyung-Jin (Foot & Ankle Center, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Sanggye Paik Hospital, Inje University College of Medicine) ;
- Bae, Su-Young (Foot & Ankle Center, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Sanggye Paik Hospital, Inje University College of Medicine) ;
- Min, Byoung-Kwon (Foot & Ankle Center, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Sanggye Paik Hospital, Inje University College of Medicine) ;
- Song, Min-Cheol (Foot & Ankle Center, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Sanggye Paik Hospital, Inje University College of Medicine)
- 정형진 (인제대학교 의과대학 상계백병원 정형외과) ;
- 배서영 (인제대학교 의과대학 상계백병원 정형외과) ;
- 민병권 (인제대학교 의과대학 상계백병원 정형외과) ;
- 송민철 (인제대학교 의과대학 상계백병원 정형외과)
- Received : 2011.04.18
- Accepted : 2011.05.11
- Published : 2011.06.15
We report here on a case of Achilles tendon rupture associated with ipsilateral bimalleolar fracture that was caused by ski injury. The association of an ankle fracture with rupture of the Achilles tendon is even more infrequent, although both injuries alone are extremely common. We treated as a operation of Achilles tendon repair with Krackow method and open reduction with Tension-band wiring technique for bimalleolar fracture.
- Martin JW, Thompson GH. Achilles tendon rupture. Occurrence with a closed ankle fracture. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1986;210:216-8.
- Barron JL, Yocum LA. Unrecognized Achilles tendon rupture associated with ipsilateral medial malleolar fracture. Am J Sports Med. 1993;21:629-31. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659302100426
- Pieper HG, Radas CB, Quack G, Krahl H. Mediomalleolar fracture combined with Achilles tendon rupture--a rare simultaneous injury of the ankle. Int J Sports Med. 1998;19: 68-70. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-971883
- Lubin JW, Miller RA, Robinson BJ, Blevins FT. Achilles tendon rupture associated with ankle fracture. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2000;29:707-8.
- Assal M, Stern R, Peter R. Fracture of the ankle associated with rupture of the Achilles tendon: case report and review of the literature. J Orthop Trauma. 2002;16:358-61. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005131-200205000-00013
- Maffulli N, Richards PJ. Subcutaneous rupture of the Achilles tendon and ipsilateral fracture of the medial malleolus. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2006;7:59. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-7-59
- Mattos e Dinato MC, de Farias Freitas M, D'Elia CO, Bitar AC, Rodrigues Gonçalves FM. Acute calcaneus tendon rupture associated with ipsilateral malleolar fracture: case report and literature review. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2010;49: 565.e1-4. https://doi.org/10.1053/S1067-2516(10)00453-9
- Cetti R, Andersen I. Roentgenographic diagnoses of ruptured Achilles tendons. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1993;286: 215-21.
- Chiodo CP, Glazebrook M, Bluman EM, et al. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons clinical practice guideline on treatment of Achilles tendon rupture. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010;92:2466-8.
- Funk JR, Crandall JR, Tourret LJ, et al. The axial injury tolerance of the human foot/ankle complex and the effect of Achilles tension. J Biomech Eng. 2002;124:750-7. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1514675
- Lugger LJ, Margreiter R, Glotzer W. Rupture of the Achilles tendon and eversion fracture of the inner malleolus - a typically combined injury in alpin skiing (author's transl). Zentralbl Chir. 1977;102:1320-3.