- Volume 70 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Association of Body Composition with the Development of Airway Hyper-Responsiveness
메타콜린을 이용한 기도 과민반응과 체성분과의 관계
- Jin, Hyun-Jung (Department of Internal Medicine, Yeungnam University College of Medicine) ;
- Shin, Kyeong-Cheol (Department of Internal Medicine, Yeungnam University College of Medicine) ;
- Chung, Jin-Hong (Department of Internal Medicine, Yeungnam University College of Medicine) ;
- Lee, Kwan-Ho (Department of Internal Medicine, Yeungnam University College of Medicine)
- Received : 2011.01.27
- Accepted : 2011.03.04
- Published : 2011.03.30
Background: The rising prevalence of asthma may be associated with the rising prevalence of obesity in developed nations. There are several studies showing that obesity increases the risk of asthma in adults. We investigated the association of each body composition scale and bronchial hyper-responsiveness. Methods: This study involved a retrospective review of the existing records for 279 subjects with respiratory symptoms, who underwent a pulmonary function test, a methacholine challenge test and a body composition test between May 2007 and June 2009. Results: Of the 279 subjects, 179 (64%) were female. There was a statistically significant difference in fat free mass and in fat free mass index between the normal bronchial responsiveness group and bronchial hyper-responsiveness group (p=0.036; p=0.000). There was no significant differences in body mass index, in fat mass and fat free mass index in the normal bronchial responsiveness group and bronchial hyper-responsiveness group in males. However in females, body mass index and fat free mass index were increased in the bronchial hyper-responsiveness group (p=0.044; p=0.000). Total body water (kg), fat free mass (kg) and soft lean mass (kg) were significantly different between the normal bronchial responsiveness group and bronchial hyper-responsiveness group (p=0.002; p=0.000; p=0.000). Conclusion: This study showed significant differences in fat free mass and in fat free mass index between the normal bronchial responsiveness group and the bronchial hyper-responsiveness group. In females, BMI, soft lean mass, and total body water showed significant differences between the normal bronchial responsiveness group and the bronchial hyper-responsiveness group. We concluded that bronchial hyper-responsiveness was associated with not only body mass index but also fat free mass index in female bronchial asthma.
Supported by : Yeungnam University
- Mokdad AH, Ford ES, Bowman BA, Dietz WH, Vinicor F, Bales VS, et al. Prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and obesity-related health risk factors, 2001. JAMA 2003;289:76-9. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.289.1.76
- BergstrOm A, Pisani P, Tenet V, Wolk A, Adami HO. Overweight as an avoidable cause of cancer in Europe. Int J Cancer 2001;91:421-30. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0215(200002)9999:9999<::AID-IJC1053>3.0.CO;2-T
- Bianchini F, Kaaks R, Vainio H. Overweight, obesity, and cancer risk. Lancet Oncol 2002;3:565-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(02)00849-5
- Bergstrom A, Hsieh CC, Lindblad P, Lu CM, Cook NR, Wolk A. Obesity and renal cell cancer--a quantitative review. Br J Cancer 2001;85:984-90. https://doi.org/10.1054/bjoc.2001.2040
- Chang KJ, Koo HS, Lee HS, Jo YA. Association between asthma and obesity in national health and nutrition survey. Korean J Asthma Allergy Clin Immunol 2005;25:262-8.
- Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention. National health & nutrition examination survey (KNHANES 4), Nutrition survey. Seoul: Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs; 2007.
- Crater SE, Platts-Mills TA. Searching for the cause of the increase in asthma. Curr Opin Pediatr 1998;10:594-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008480-199810060-00010
- van Veen IH, Ten Brinke A, Sterk PJ, Rabe KF, Bel EH. Airway inflammation in obese and nonobese patients with difficult-to-treat asthma. Allergy 2008;63:570-4. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2007.01597.x
- Mishra V. Effect of obesity on asthma among adult Indian women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2004;28:1048-58. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802700
- Lorentzen MS, Vestbo J, Lange P. Are obesity and overweight risk factors of asthma? Ugeskr Laeger 2001;163:4999-5003.
- Akerman MJ, Calacanis CM, Madsen MK. Relationship between asthma severity and obesity. J Asthma 2004;41:521-6. https://doi.org/10.1081/JAS-120037651
- Mosen DM, Schatz M, Magid DJ, Camargo CA Jr. The relationship between obesity and asthma severity and control in adults. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2008;122:507-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2008.06.024
- Pelegrino NR, Faganello MM, Sanchez FF, Padovani CR, Godoy I. Relationship between body mass index and asthma severity in adults. J Bras Pneumol 2007;33:641-6. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-37132007000600006
- Taylor B, Mannino D, Brown C, Crocker D, Twum-Baah N, Holguin F. Body mass index and asthma severity in the National Asthma Survey. Thorax 2008;63:14-20. https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2007.082784
- Varraso R, Siroux V, Maccario J, Pin I, Kauffmann F; Epidemiological Study on the Genetics and Environment of Asthma. Asthma severity is associated with body mass index and early menarche in women. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005;171:334-9. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200405-674OC
- Chen Y, Dales R, Jiang Y. The association between obesity and asthma is stronger in nonallergic than allergic adults. Chest 2006;130:890-5. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.130.3.890
- Celedon JC, Palmer LJ, Litonjua AA, Weiss ST, Wang B, Fang Z, et al. Body mass index and asthma in adults in families of subjects with asthma in Anqing, China. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001;164:1835-40. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.164.10.2105033
- Jaffrin MY. Body composition determination by bioimpedance: an update. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2009;12:482-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/MCO.0b013e32832da22c
- Nakadomo F, Tanaka K, Hazama T, Maeda K. Assessment of body composition by bioelectrical impedance analysis: effects of skin resistance on impedance. Ann Physiol Anthropol 1990;9:109-14. https://doi.org/10.2114/ahs1983.9.109
- Lukaski HC, Bolonchuk WW, Hall CB, Siders WA. Validation of tetrapolar bioelectrical impedance method to assess human body composition. J Appl Physiol 1986;60:1327-32. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.1918.104.22.1687
- Houtkooper LB, Lohman TG, Going SB, Hall MC. Validity of bioelectric impedance for body composition assessment in children. J Appl Physiol 1989;66:814-21. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.1922.214.171.1244
- Kim HS, Park HS. Reliability and validity of bioimpedance body composition analyzer. J Korean Orient Assoc Stud Obes 2002;11:389-97.
- Chatham M, Bleecker ER, Norman P, Smith PL, Mason P. A screening test for airways reactivity. An abbreviated methacholine inhalation challenge. Chest 1982;82:15-8. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.82.1.15
- Chen Y, Dales R, Krewski D, Breithaupt K. Increased effects of smoking and obesity on asthma among female Canadians: the National Population Health Survey, 1994-1995. Am J Epidemiol 1999;150:255-62. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a009996
- Shaheen SO, Sterne JA, Montgomery SM, Azima H. Birth weight, body mass index and asthma in young adults. Thorax 1999;54:396-402. https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.54.5.396
- Luder E, Melnik TA, DiMaio M. Association of being overweight with greater asthma symptoms in inner city black and Hispanic children. J Pediatr 1998;132:699-703. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3476(98)70363-4
- Camargo CA Jr, Weiss ST, Zhang S, Willett WC, Speizer FE. Prospective study of body mass index, weight change, and risk of adult-onset asthma in women. Arch Intern Med 1999;159:2582-8. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.159.21.2582
- Hernandez Garcia IA, Gutierrez Gutiérrez AM, Gallardo Lozano E. Effect of weight reduction on the clinical and hormonal condition of obese anovulatory women. Ginecol Obstet Mex 1999;67:433-7.
- McLachlan CR, Poulton R, Car G, Cowan J, Filsell S, Greene JM, et al. Adiposity, asthma, and airway inflammation. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2007;119:634-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2006.10.029
- Weisberg SP, McCann D, Desai M, Rosenbaum M, Leibel RL, Ferrante AW Jr. Obesity is associated with macrophage accumulation in adipose tissue. J Clin Invest 2003;112:1796-808. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI200319246
- Sood A, Ford ES, Camargo CA Jr. Association between leptin and asthma in adults. Thorax 2006;61:300-5. https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2004.031468
- Shore SA, Schwartzman IN, Mellema MS, Flynt L, Imrich A, Johnston RA. Effect of leptin on allergic airway responses in mice. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2005;115:103-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2004.10.007
- Sood A, Cui X, Qualls C, Beckett WS, Gross MD, Steffes MW, et al. Association between asthma and serum adiponectin concentration in women. Thorax 2008;63:877-82. https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2007.090803
- Shore SA, Terry RD, Flynt L, Xu A, Hug C. Adiponectin attenuates allergen-induced airway inflammation and hyperresponsiveness in mice. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006;118:389-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2006.04.021
- Jang AS, Kim TH, Park JS, Kim KU, Uh ST, Seo KH, et al. Association of serum leptin and adiponectin with obesity in asthmatics. J Asthma 2009;46:59-63. https://doi.org/10.1080/02770900802444203
- Jartti T, Saarikoski L, Jartti L, Lisinen I, Jula A, Huupponen R, et al. Obesity, adipokines and asthma. Allergy 2009;64:770-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2008.01872.x
- Jang AS, Park JS, Park SW, Kim DJ, Uh ST, Seo KH, et al. Obesity in aspirin-tolerant and aspirin-intolerant asthmatics. Respirology 2008;13:1034-8.
- Naimark A, Cherniack RM. Compliance of the respiratory system and its components in health and obesity. J Appl Physiol 1960;15:377-82. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.19126.96.36.1997