- Volume 33 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Asynchronous 2-Phase Protocol Based on Ternary Encoding for On-Chip Interconnect
- Oh, Myeong-Hoon (Software Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Kim, Seong-Woon (Software Research Laboratory, ETRI)
- Received : 2011.02.15
- Accepted : 2011.03.19
- Published : 2011.10.31
Level-encoded dual-rail (LEDR) has been widely used in onchip asynchronous interconnects supporting a 2-phase handshake protocol. However, it inevitably requires 2N wires for N-bit data transfers. Encoder and decoder circuits that perform an asynchronous 2-phase handshake protocol with only N wires for N-bit data transfers are presented for on-chip global interconnects. Their fundamentals are based on a ternary encoding scheme using current-mode multiple valued logics. Using 0.25
- D. Sylverster and K. Keutzer, "A Global Wiring Paradigm for Deep Submicron Design," IEEE Trans. CAD Integr. Circuits Syst., vol. 19, no. 2, Feb. 2000, pp. 242-252. https://doi.org/10.1109/43.828553
- International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors, Semiconductor Industry Association, 2009.
- J. Sparso and S.B. Furber, Principles of Asynchronous Circuit Design: A System Perspective, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001.
- W.F. McLaughlin, A. Mitra, and S.M. Nowick, "Asynchronous Protocol Converters for Two-Phase Delay-Insensitive Global Communication," IEEE Trans. VLSI Syst., vol. 17, no. 7, July 2009, pp. 923-928. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVLSI.2009.2017909
- M.E. Dean, T.E. Williams, and D.L. Dill, "Efficient Self-Timing with Level-Encoded 2-Phase Dual-Rail (LEDR)," Adv. Research VLSI, UC Santa Cruz, 1991, pp. 55-70.
- J.S. Lee, "On-Chip Bus Serialization Method for Low-Power Communications," ETRI J., vol. 32, no. 4, Aug. 2010, pp. 540-547. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.10.0109.0447
- M.H. Oh and D.S. Har, "Low Delay-Power Product Current- Mode Multiple Valued Logic for Delay-Insensitive Data Transfer Mechanism," IEICE Trans. Fundamentals, vol. E88-A, no. 5, May 2005, pp. 1379-1383. https://doi.org/10.1093/ietfec/e88-a.5.1379