- Volume 28 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Performance Study of Satellite Image Processing on Graphics Processors Unit Using CUDA
- Jeong, In-Kyu (Department of Applied Information Technology, Graduate School, Kookmin University) ;
- Hong, Min-Gee (Department of Applied Information Technology, Graduate School, Kookmin University) ;
- Hahn, Kwang-Soo (Department of Computer Science, Kookmin University) ;
- Choi, Joonsoo (Department of Computer Science, Kookmin University) ;
- Kim, Choen (College of Forest Science, Kookmin University)
- Received : 2012.10.23
- Accepted : 2012.11.19
- Published : 2012.12.31
High resolution satellite images are now widely used for a variety of mapping applications including photogrammetry, GIS data acquisition and visualization. As the spectral and spatial data size of satellite images increases, a greater processing power is needed to process the images. The solution of these problems is parallel systems. Parallel processing techniques have been developed for improving the performance of image processing along with the development of the computational power. However, conventional CPU-based parallel computing is often not good enough for the demand for computational speed to process the images. The GPU is a good candidate to achieve this goal. Recently GPUs are used in the field of highly complex processing including many loop operations such as mathematical transforms, ray tracing. In this study we proposed a technique for parallel processing of high resolution satellite images using GPU. We implemented a spectral radiometric processing algorithm on Landsat-7 ETM+ imagery using CUDA, a parallel computing architecture developed by NVIDIA for GPU. Also performance of the algorithm on GPU and CPU is compared.
- Asanovíc, K., R. Bodik, B. Catanzaro, J. Gebis, P. Husbands, K. Keutzer, D. Patterson, W. Plishker, J. Shalf, S. Williams, and K. Yelick, 2006. The landscape of parallel computing research: A view From Berkeley, Tech. Rep. No. UCB/EECS-2006-183, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, Dec. 18, 2006, p. 54.
- Chander, G., B.L. Markham, and D.L. Helder, 2009. Summary of current radiometric calibration coefficients for Landsat MSS, TM, ETM+, and EO-1 ALI sensors, Remote Sensing of Environment, 113: 893-903. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2009.01.007
- Che, S., M. Boyer, J. Meng, D. Tarjan, J.W. Sheaffer, and K. Skadron, 2008. A performance study of general-purpose applications on graphics processors using CUDA, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 68: 1370-1380. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpdc.2008.05.014
- Christophe, E. and J. Inglada, 2009. Open source remote sensing: Increasing the usability of cutting-edge algorithms, IEEE Geoscience Remote Sensing Newsletter, 9-15.
- Christophe, E., J. Michel, and J. Inglada, 2011. Remote sensing processing: From multicore to GPU, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 4(3): 643-652. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSTARS.2010.2102340
- Han, T.D. and T.S. Abdelrahman, 2011. hiCUDA: High-level GPGPU programming, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 22(1): 78-90. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPDS.2010.62
- Kessenich, J., D. Baldwin, and R. Rost, 2012. The OpenGL shading language, http://www. opengl.org/documentation/glsl.
- Lindholm, E., J. Nickolls, S. Oberman, and J. Montrym, 2008. NVIDIA Tesla: A unified graphics and computing architecture, IEEE Micro, 28(2): 39-55. https://doi.org/10.1109/MM.2008.31
- Markham, B.L., K. Thome, J. Barsi, E. Kaita, D. Helder, J. Barker, and P. Scaramuzza, 2004. Landsat-7 ETM+ On-orbit reflective-band radiometric stability and absolute calibration, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 43: 2810-2820.
- NVIDIA, 2011. The CUDA Compiler Driver NVCC V4.1, http://developer.download.nvidia.com/ compute/DevZone/docs/html/C/doc/nvcc.pdf.
- NVIDIA, 2012. NVIDIA CUDA C Programming Guide v4.2, http://developer.download.nvidia. com /compute/DevZone/docs/html/C/doc/ CUDA_C_Programming_Guide.pdf.
- NVIDIA, 2012a. CUDA Occupancy Calculator, http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda/nvidia-gpucomputing- documentation.
- Owens, J.D., D. Luebke, N. Govindaraju, M. Harris, J. Kruger, A.E. Lefohn, and T.J. Purcell, 2005. A Survey of General-Purpose Computation on Graphics Hardware, Eurographics 2005, State of the Art Reports, 21-51.
- Song, C., Y. Li, and B. Huang, 2011. A GPUaccelerated wavelet decompression system with SPIHT and Reed-Solomon decoding for satellite images, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 4(3): 683-690. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSTARS.2011.2159962
- Zhao, J. and H. Jhou, 2011. Design and optimization of remote sensing image fusion parallel algorithms based on CPU-GPU heterogeneous platforms, IEEE International Congress on Image and Signal Processing, Shanghai, China, Oct. 2011, 1623-1627.