- Volume 29 Issue 4
Analysis of Pupil Size Variability for Effectiveness Verification of Activation Level of Autonomic Nerve System by Electromagnetic Acupuncture System
자화침 시스템의 자율신경계 활성화 효과 검증을 위한 동공크기변이 분석
- Liu, Wenxue (Medical Computer System Lab., Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, College of Health Science, Yonsei University) ;
- Lee, Na-Ra (The Eastern & Western Bio-Medical System Lab., Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, College of Health Science, Yonsei University) ;
- Choi, Woo-Hyuk (Medical Computer System Lab., Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, College of Health Science, Yonsei University) ;
- Kim, Soo-Byeong (The Eastern & Western Bio-Medical System Lab., Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, College of Health Science, Yonsei University) ;
- Lee, Young-Heum (The Eastern & Western Bio-Medical System Lab., Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, College of Health Science, Yonsei University) ;
- Shin, Tae-Min (Medical Computer System Lab., Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, College of Health Science, Yonsei University)
- 류문학 (연세대학교 보건과학대학 의공학과 의용컴퓨터시스템 연구실) ;
- 이나라 (연세대학교 보건과학대학 의공학과 동서의료시스템 연구실) ;
- 최우혁 (연세대학교 보건과학대학 의공학과 의용컴퓨터시스템 연구실) ;
- 김수병 (연세대학교 보건과학대학 의공학과 동서의료시스템 연구실) ;
- 이용흠 (연세대학교 보건과학대학 의공학과 동서의료시스템 연구실) ;
- 신태민 (연세대학교 보건과학대학 의공학과 의용컴퓨터시스템 연구실)
- Received : 2012.12.04
- Accepted : 2012.12.18
- Published : 2012.12.27
Objectives : The purpose of this research is to verify the effects of the Electromagnetic acupuncture(EMA) on BL15 by Pupil size variability(PSV) which is directly related to the activation of the Autonomic Nervous System. Methods : Thirty male subjects participated in this study and were divided into three groups(non-stimulated, manual acupuncture and EMA group). The size of pupil was measured in the cube place of
Supported by : Ministry of Health & Welfare
- Beinfield H, Korngold E. Between heaven and earth: a guide to chinese medicine. 1st ed. New York : Ballantine Books. 1992.
- Ulett GA, Han J, Han S. Traditional and evidence-based acupuncture: history, mechanism, and present status. South Med J. 1998 ; 91(12) : 1115-20. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007611-199812000-00004
- Research Group of Acupuncture anesthesia, The role of some neurotransmitter of brain in finger-acupuncture analgesia. Scientia Sinica. 1974 ; 17 : 112-30.
- Foster JM, Sweeney BP. The mechanisms of acupuncture analgesia. Br J Hosp Med. 1987 ; 38(4) : 308-12.
- Qian XZ. Progress in scientific research on acupuncture, moxibustion and acupuncture anesthesia by integrating traditional Chinese and Western medicine. In: Zhang XT, Research on Acupuncture, Moxibustion, and Acupuncture anesthsia. Beijing : Science Press. 1986 : 1-18.
- Takeshige C. Mechanism of acupuncture analgesia based on animal experiments. In: Pomeranz B, Stux G. Scientific bases of acupuncture. Berlin, Heidelberg : Springer-Verlag. 1989 : 53-78.
- Choi SH, Lee BR, Yang GY, Kim JK, Seo YS, Yim YK. Effects of herbal-acupuncture with evodiae fructus at KI10 on osteoporosis in ovariectomized mice. Korean Journal of Acupuncture. 2010 ; 27(2) : 217-42.
- Lee SH, Lee HA. Study on the effect of herbal-acupuncture with schizandrae fructus solution on hyperlipidemia in rats induced by high fat diet. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2011 ; 28(2) : 143-53.
- Kim JL, Yoo HS, Lee NH, Yoon DH, Cho JH, Lee YW, et al. An overview of acupuncture for cancer related pain. Journal of Oriental Medicine, Daejeon University. 2006 ; 15(1) : 41-5.
- Ogata A, Sugenoya J, Nishimura N, Matsumoto T. Low and high frequency acupuncture stimulation inhibits mental stress-induced sweating in humans via different mechanisms. Auton Neurosci. 2005 ; 118(1-2) : 93-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2004.11.008
- Nordenstrom BE. An electrophysiological view of acupuncture: role of capacitive and closed circuit currents and their ckinical effects in the treatment of cancer and chronic pain. Am J Acupuncture. 1989 ; 17 : 105-17.
- Shupak NM. Therapeytic uses of pulsed magnetic-field exposure: a review. The Radio Science Bulletin. 2003 ; 307 : 9-32.
- Kim SB, Park SW, Ahn SJ, Lee NR, Lee SW, Min SE, et al. Evaluation of muscle fatigue recovery effect and meridian potential change using magnetic acupuncture system. Korean Journal of Acupuncture. 2012 ; 29(1) : 83-92.
- Moffet HH. How might acupuncture work? A systematic review of physiologic rationales from clinical trials. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2006 ; 6(1) : 25. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-6-25
- Censi F, Calcagnini G, Pasquale FD, Lino S, Cerutti S. Baroceptor-sensitive Fluctuations of human pupil diameter. Computers in Cardiology. 1999 ; 26 : 233-6.
- Lee JC, Kim JE, Park KM. Pupil size variability as an index of autonomic activity - from the experiments of posture, sleepiness and cognitive task. J Biomed Eng Res. 2007 ; 28(1) : 55-65.
- Choi WJ, Hu YS, Lee SG, Park KM, Kim JE. A study on the relationship with acupuncture stimulation and stress - using pupil size variability. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2005 ; 16(2) : 113-24.
- Kwak S, Choi WJ, Lee SG, Park KM. The effects of acupuncture stimulation and progressive relaxation therapy on examination stress of students - using heart rate variability and pupil size variability. The Korean Journal of Meridian & Acupoint. 2004 ; 21(2) : 161-76.
- Wilhelm H. Neuro-opthalmology of pupillary function - practical guidelines. Journal of Neurology. 1998 ; 245(9) : 573-83. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004150050248
- Wilhelm H, Ludtke H, Wilhelm B. Pupil-logralhic sleepiness testing in hypersomniacs and normals. Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. 1998 ; 236(10) : 725-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004170050149
- Tassorelli C, Micieli G, Osipova V, Rossi F, Nappi G. Pupillary and cardiovascular responses to the cold-pressor test. Journal of the Autonomic Nervous System. 1995 ; 55(1-2) : 45-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1838(95)00026-T
- Lee JC. Effect of lateralized acupuncture stimulation on binocular pupil size. Master Degree Dissertation, Kyunghee Graduate School. 2006.
- Kim JY, Jun HJ, Lee SR, Lee CH, Jung OB. Central Localization of the Neurons Projecting to the Urinary Bladder Meridian. The Korean Journal of Meridian & Acupoint. 2000 ; 17(1) : 81-100.
- Sung BS, Kwon OS, Jeon IS, Kim JH, Ahn SH, Sohn IC. Survey on setting new standards for estimation of acupoints in the upper limb of normal adults. Journal of Meridian & Acupoint. 2008 ; 25(3) : 1-14.
- Lee NR, Lee SW, Kim YD, Kim SB, Lee KJ, Lee YH. Analysis of body surface temperature by Pulsed Magnetic Fields system for evaluation of therapeutic effect of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. The Korean Institute of Maritime Information and Communication. 2011 ; 15(3) : 645-53. https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2011.15.3.645
- Nordenstrom B. An electro physiological view of acupuncture: role of capacitive and closed circuit currents and their clinical effects in the treatment of cancer and chronic pain. Am J Acupuncture. 1989 ; 17 : 105-17.
- Lee HJ, Lee DG, Hwang JH. The effect of the electro-acupuncture on simsu(BL15) with the heart rate variability as the means of measurement for autonomic nerve system. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2007 ; 24(5) : 1-12.
- Hsu CC, Weng CS, Liu TS, Tsai YS, Chang YH. Effects of electrical acupuncture on acupoint BL15 evaluated in terms of heart rate variability, pulse rate variability and skin conductance response. Am J Chin Med. 2006 ; 34(1) : 23-36. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X06003606
- Wilson DH, Jagadeesh P. Experimental regeneration in peripheral nerves and the spinal cord in laboratory animals exposed to a pulsed electromagnetic field. J Int Med Soc Paraplegia. 1976 ; 14 : 12-20.
- Raji AM. An experimental study of the effects of pulsed electromagnetic field(diapulse) on nerve repair. The Journal of Hand Surgery. 1984 ; 9(2) : 105-12.