- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Lavandula angustifolia Aroma on Electroencephalograms in Female Adults with Sleep Disorders
라벤더향이 수면장애가 있는 여자 성인의 뇌파에 미치는 영향
- Jung, Han-Na (Department of Smart Foods and Drugs, Inje University) ;
- Choi, Hyun-Ju (Department of Biomedical Laboratory Science and Elderly Life Redesign Institute, Inje University)
- Received : 2011.12.03
- Accepted : 2012.01.25
- Published : 2012.02.28
This study investigated the effects of Lavandula angustifolia (L. angustifolia) aroma on the brain electrical activity evaluated by electroencephalogram (EEG) in female adults with sleep disorders. The subjects were 28 healthy female adults and their sleep disorders were classified by the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index. EEG electrodes were attached at the frontal (F3, F4), temporal (T3, T4), occipital (O1, O2), parietal (P3, P4), reference, and ground regions according to the International 10-20 system. Subjects were exposed to the L. angustifolia aroma for 3 min. Results showed that L. angustifolia aroma decreased the occipital and parietal alpha powers, and increased the frontal theta power and occipital beta power in subjects with good sleep quality. On the other hand, L. angustifolia aroma increased the theta power in the all cranial regions after aroma treatment in subjects with poor sleep quality. In conclusion, L. angustifolia aroma diminishes a state of wakefulness in the brain and helps individuals to fall asleep. Therefore, L. angustifolia aroma may have beneficial effect for female adults with sleep disorders.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Buckle, J. 2007. Literature review: should nursing take aromatherapy more seriously? Br. J. Nurs. 16, 116-120. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2007.16.2.22772
- Buysse, D. J., C. F. Reynolds, T. H. Monk, S. R. Berman, and D. J. Kupfer. 1989. The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res. 28, 193-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1781(89)90047-4
- Cha, J. H., M. J. Kim, H. S. Kim, and Y. I. Kim. 2010. Effects of aromatherapy in blending oil of basil, lavender, rosemary, and rose on headache, anxiety and serum cortisol level in the middle-aged women. J. Korean Biol. Nurs. Sci. 12, 133-139.
- Chein, L. W., S. L. Cheng, and C. F. Liu. 2011. The effect on lavender aromatherapy on autonomic nervous system in midlife women with insomnia. Evid. Based Complement. Alternat. Med. 2011, 1. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/740813
- Choi, I. R. 2006. Effects of aromatherapy massage on pain, physical function, sleep disturbance and depression in elderly women with osteoarthritis. Korea. J. Women Health Nurs. 12, 168-176.
- Diego, M. A., N. A. Jones, T. Field, M. Hernandez-Reif, S. Schanberg, C. Kuhn, V. McAdam, R. Galamaga, and M. Galamaga. 1998. Aromatherapy positively affects mood, EEG patterns of alertness and math computations. Intern. J. Neurosci. 96, 217-224. https://doi.org/10.3109/00207459808986469
- Edge, J. 2003. A pilot study addressing the effect of aromatherapy massage on mood, anxiety and relaxation in adult mental health. Complement. Ther. Nurs. Midwifery 9, 90-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1353-6117(02)00104-X
- Fayazi, S., M. Babashahi, and M. Rezaei. 2011. The effect of inhalation aromatherapy on anxiety level of the patients in preoperative period. Original Article. 16, 1-6.
- Han, S. H. 2008. Effects of aromatherapy on headache, stress and immune response of students with tension-type headache. J. Korean Acad. Soc. Nurs. Edu. 14, 273-281. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2008.14.2.273
- Hartman, D. and J. Coetzee. Two US practitioner's experiences of using essential oils for wound care. J. Wound Care 2002. 11, 317-320. https://doi.org/10.12968/jowc.2002.11.8.26432
- Hongratanaworakit, T. 2004. Physiological effects in aromatherapy. Songklanalarin J. Sci. Technol. 26, 117-125.
- Itai, T., H. Amayasu, M. Kuribayashi, N. Kawamura, M. Okada, A. Momose, T. Tateyama, K. Narumi, W. Uematsu, and S. Kaneko. 2000. Psychological effects of aromatherapy on chronic hemodialysis patients. Psychiatry Clin. Neurosci. 54, 393-397. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1819.2000.00727.x
- Ju, K. Y. 2007. The effect of aromatherapy psychological stress and stress hormones in blood after maximal exercise. Korean Soc.Beauty Industry. 2, 147-164.
- Kim, D. S., B. W. Kim, Y. H. Kim, J. K. Kim, B. H. Min, H. J. Bae, S. O. Song, J. S. Yoon, O. K. Lee, S. H. Jung, S. C. Choi, W. S. Choi, and H. J. Choi. 2006. Clinical Physiology. Koreambp. 327-330.
- Kim, D. S., B. W. Kim, Y. H. Kim, J. K. Kim, B. H. Min, H. J. Bae, S. O. Song, J. S. Yoon, O. K. Lee, S. H. Jung, S. C. Choi, W. S. Choi, and H. J. Choi. 2006. Clinical Physiology Koreambp. 396-406.
- Kim, H. K., H. G. Kim, Y. S. Cheong, E. W. Park, and S. M. Yoo. 2001. The effect of aromatherapy on dysmenorrhea from high school girls. J. Korean Acad. Fam. Med 22, 922-929.
- Knutson, K. L., P. J. Rathouz, L. L. Yan, K. Liu, and D. S. Lauderdale. 2006. Stability of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index and the Epworth Sleepiness Questionnaires over 1 year in early middle-aged adults: The CARDIA study. Sleep. 29, 1503-1506.
- Lee, D. and J. Lee. 2003. A study on the physiological change of EEG by olfactory stimulation. Korean J. Sci. Emot. Sens. 6, 29-35.
- Lee, H. S. 2008. The effects of aroma inhalation on nursing students' stress response and anxiety before their first clinical practice. J. Korean Acad. Comm. Health Nurs. 19, 112-119.
- Lee, K. H., K. M. Park, and M. K. Ryu. 2002. The effect of aromatherapy with lavender essential oil on sleep disturbance and depression on middle-aged women. J. Korean Soc. Matern. Child Health 6, 23-37.
- Lee, S. H. 2001. Effects of back massage with lavender essence oil on the stress response of the ICU nurses. J. Korean Acad. Nurs. 31, 770-780.
- Lee, W. J., and H. J. Choi. 2011. Sleep behavior and sleep disorder characteristics in college students. Inje NonChong. 26, 289-306.
- Lee, Y. H. 2008. The effectiveness of back massage using aromatherapy in reducing physical and psychological stress. The Korea Acad. Indus. Coop. Soc. 9, 246-256. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2008.9.1.246
- Lindsay, R., J. Tohme, and B. Kanders. 1986. The effect of oral contraceptive use on vertebral bone mass in pre-and post-menopausal women. Contraception 34, 333-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-7824(86)90086-7
- Lis-Balchin, M. and S. Hart. 1999. Studies on the mode of action of the essential oil of lavender (Lavandula angustifolia P. Miller). Phytother. Res. 13, 540-542. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1573(199909)13:6<540::AID-PTR523>3.0.CO;2-I
- Lund, H. G., B. D. Reider, A. B. Whiting, and J. R. Prichard. 2010. Sleep patterns and predictors of disturbed sleep in a large population of college students. J. Adolesc. Health. 46, 124-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2009.06.016
- Oh, J. N., H. J. Kim, and J. H. Park. 2008. Effect of aroma therapy on the anxiety, blood pressure and pulse of uterine leiomyoma patients before surgery. Korean J. Women Health Nurs. 14, 28-35.
- Oh, Y. H. 2006. The effects of inhalation method using essential oils on the preoperative anxiety of hysterectomy patients. Korean Soc. Nurs. Sci. 36, 1123-1134.
- Robins, J. L. W. 1999. The science and art of aromatherapy. J. Holist. Nurs. 17, 5-17. https://doi.org/10.1177/089801019901700102
- Seo, H. K. and K. S. Park. 2003. A study on the effects of aroma inhalation method using clarysage essential oil on stress in middle-aged women. Korean Soc. Women Health Nurs. 9, 70-79.
- Son, K. C., J. E. Song, S. J. Um, K. Y. Paek, H. K. Oh, J. S. Lee, and J. H. Kim. 2001. Effect of absorption of essential oils on the changes of arousal and antistress. J. Korean Soc. Horticul. Sci. 42, 614-620.
- Statistics Korea. http://www.kostat.go.kr.
- Attenuation Effects of Herbal Mixture Extract on Stress and Sleep Disturbance in Rats vol.45, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.3.313
- The Effects of Aroma Hand Massage on Fatigue and Sleeping among Hospice Patients vol.06, pp.07, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4236/ojn.2016.67054
- Domestic Trends of Research and Patent for Sleep Disorder vol.13, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.06.309
- Effects of Origanum Majorana Essential Oil Aroma on the Electroencephalograms of Female Young Adults with Sleep Disorders vol.22, pp.8, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.8.1077
- Effects of Eucalyptus Aroma Therapy on the Allergic Rhinitis of University Students vol.16, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2014.16.4.300
- Influence of Fragrances on Human Psychophysiological Activity: With Special Reference to Human Electroencephalographic Response vol.84, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/scipharm84040724