- Volume 10 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Reliability of column capacity design in shear
- Thomos, George C. (Laboratory of Reinforced Concrete, National Technical University of Athens) ;
- Trezos, Constantin G. (Laboratory of Reinforced Concrete, National Technical University of Athens)
- Received : 2011.02.08
- Accepted : 2012.05.22
- Published : 2012.11.25
The capacity design of shear forces is one of the special demands of EC8 by which the ductile behavior of structures is implemented. The aim of capacity design is the formation of plastic hinges without shear failure of the elements. This is achieved by deriving the design shear forces from equilibrium conditions, assuming that plastic hinges, with their possible over-strengths, have been formed in the adjacent joints of the elements. In this equilibrium situation, the parameters (dimensions, material properties, axial forces etc) are random variables. Therefore, the capacity design of shear forces is associated with a probability of non-compliance (probability of failure). In the present study the probability of non-compliance of the shear capacity design in columns is calculated by assuming the basic variables as random variables. Parameters affecting this probability are examined and a modification of the capacity design is proposed, in order to achieve uniformity of the safety level.
- Ayyub, B.M. and Lai, K.L. (1989), "Structural reliability assessment using latin hypercube sampling", Proceeding of the 5th international conference on structural safety and reliability, 2, 1177-1184, San Francisco.
- Bentz, E.C., Vecchio, F.J. and Collins, M.P. (2006), "Simplified modified compression field theory for calculating shear strength of reinforced concrete elements", ACI Struct. J., 103(4), 614-624.
- Collins, M.P., Bentz, E.C., Sherwood, E.G. and Xie, L. (2008), "An adequate theory for the shear strength of reinforced concrete structures", Mag. Concrete Res., 60(9), 635-650. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2008.60.9.635
- Ditlevsen, O. and Madsen, H.O. (1996), Structural reliability methods, Chichester, John Wiley & Sons.
- EC 2 (2004), Design of concrete structure, part 1-1: general rules and rules for buildings, European standard EN 1992-1-1, European Committee for Standardization (CEN), Brussels.
- EC 8-1 (2004), Design of structures for earthquake resistance, part 1: general rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings, European standard EN 1998-1. European Committee for Standardization (CEN), Brussels.
- Epaarachchi, D.C. and Stewart, M.G. (2004), "Human error and reliability of multistory reinforced-concrete building construction", J. Perform. Constr. Fac., 18(1), 12-20. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3828(2004)18:1(12)
- Euro-International Committee for Concrete (CEB) (1993), CEB-FIP model code 1990, London, Thomas Telford.
- Gardoni, P., Kiureghian, A.D. and Mosalam, K.M. (2002), "Probabilistic capacity models and fragility estimates for reinforced concrete columns based on experimental observations", J. Eng. Mech.-ASCE, 128(10), 1024-1038. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2002)128:10(1024)
- Ghiassi, B. and Soltani, M. (2010), "Local stress field approach for shear failure assessment of reinforced concrete members", J. Adv. Concrete Tech., 8(2), 223-238. https://doi.org/10.3151/jact.8.223
- Iman, R.L. and Conover, W.J. (1980), "Small sample sensitivity analysis techniques for computer models, with an application to risk assessment", Commun. Stat.-Theor. M., 9(17), 1749-1842. https://doi.org/10.1080/03610928008827996
- Joint Committee on Structural Safety (2001), Probabilistic model code, Internet publication, http://www.jcss.ethz.ch.
- Lu, Y., Gu, X. and Guan, J. (2005), "Probabilistic drift limits and performance evaluation of reinforced concrete columns", J. Struct. Eng., 131(6), 966-978. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:6(966)
- McKay, M.D., Conover, W.J. and Beckman, R.J. (1979), "A comparison of three methods for selecting values of input variables in the analysis of output from a computer code", Technometrics, 42(1), 55-61.
- Melcher, R.E. (1999), Structural reliability analysis and prediction, Chichester, John Wiley & Sons.
- Mwafy, A. and Elnashai, A. (2008), "Importance of shear assessment of concrete structures detailed to different capacity design requirements", Eng. Struct., 30(6), 1590-1604. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.10.015
- NCHRP (2005), "Simplified shear design of structural concrete members", Report 549, Washington (DC), Transportation Research Board.
- Nowak, A.S. and Collins, K.R. (2000), Reliability of structures, McGraw-Hill.
- Tassios, T.P. and Lefas, J. (1984), "Ductility of concrete columns due to confinement", Scientific Papers of the Faculty of Civil Engineering, NTUA, 8(1-4).
- Thomos, G.C. and Trezos, C.G. (2006), "Examination of the probabilistic response of reinforced concrete structures under static non-linear analysis", Eng. Struct., 28(1), 120-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.08.003
- Thomos, G.C. and Trezos, C.G. (2011), "Reliability based calibration of the capacity design rule of reinforced concrete beam-column joints", Comput. Concrete, 8(6), 631-645. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2011.8.6.631
- Trezos, C.G. (1998), "Reliability consideration of the structural response of reinforced concrete structures under seismic conditions", 11th European Conf. on Earthquake Engin., Paris.
- Yoshimura, M. (2008), "Formulation of post-peak behavior of old reinforced concrete columns until collapse", 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.
- Concurrent flexural strength and ductility design of RC beams via strain-gradient-dependent concrete stress-strain curve vol.24, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1203
- Stochastic finite element based reliability analysis of steel fiber reinforced concrete (SFRC) corbels vol.15, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.15.2.279