- Volume 23 Issue 3
Many different semi-supervised learning algorithms have been proposed for use wit unlabeled data. However, most of them focus on classification problems. In this paper we propose a semi-supervised regression algorithm called the semi-supervised local constant estimator (SSLCE), based on the local constant estimator (LCE), and reveal the asymptotic properties of SSLCE. We also show that the SSLCE has a faster convergence rate than that of the LCE when a well chosen weighting factor is employed. Our experiment with synthetic data shows that the SSLCE can improve performance with unlabeled data, and we recommend its use with the proper size of unlabeled data.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Belkin, M., Sindhwani, V. and Niyogi, P. (2006). Manifold regularization; A geometric framework for learning from examples. Journal of Machine Learning Research, 7, 2329-2434.
- Chapelle, O., Zien, A. and Scholkopf, B. (2006). Semi-supervised learning, MIT press, Boston.
- Cortes, C. and Mohri, M. (2007). On transductive regression. Advances in Neural Information Processing System, 19, 305-312.
- Fan, J. and Gijbels, I. (1996). Local polynomial modelling and its applications, Chapman & Hall/CRC, London.
- Hady, M. F. A. (2011). Semi-supervised learning with committees, Sudwestdeutscher Verlag, fur Hochschuischriften, Deutschland.
- Laerty, J. and Wasserman, L. (2008). Statistical analysis of semi-supervised regression. In Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, 20, 801-808.
- Niyogi, P. (2008). Manifold regularization and semi-supervised learning: Some theoretical analyses, Technical Report TR-2008-01, CS Dept, U. of Chicago.
- Nadaraya, E. A. (1964). On estimating regression. Theory of Probability and its Applications, 9, 141-142. https://doi.org/10.1137/1109020
- Sindhwani, V., Niyogi, P. and Belkin, M. (2005). Beyond the point cloud: from transductive to semisupervised learning. In ICML05, 22nd International Conference on Machine Learning, 824 - 831.
- Singh, A., Nowak, R. and Zhu, X. (2008). Unlabeled data: Now it helps, now it doesn't. In Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, 21, 1513-1520.
- Vapnik, V. (1998). The nature of statistical learning theory, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Watson, G. S. (1964). Smooth regression analysis. Sankhya, 26, 359-372.
- Wang, M., Hua, X., Song, Y., Dai, L. and Zhang, H. (2006). Semi-supervised kernel regression. In Proceeding of the Sixth IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, 1130-1135.
- Xu, S., An. X., Qiao, X., Zhu, L. and Li, L. (2011) Semisupervised least squares support vector regression machines. Journal of Information & Computational Science, 8, 885-892.
- Xu, Z., King, I. and Lyu, M. R. (2010). More than semi-supervised learning, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, London.
- Zhou, Z. H. and Li, M. (2005). Semi-supervised regression with co-training. In Proceeding of the 19th International Joint Conference in Articial Intelligence, 908-913.
- Zhu, X. (2005). Semi-supervised learning literature survey, Technical Report 1530, Department of Computer Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison.
- Zhu, X. and Goldberg, A. (2009). Introduction to semi-supervised learning, Morgan & Claypool, London.
- Smoothing parameter selection in semi-supervised learning vol.27, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.4.993
- A study on semi-supervised kernel ridge regression estimation vol.24, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2013.24.2.341
- Semisupervised support vector quantile regression vol.26, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2015.26.2.517
- A transductive least squares support vector machine with the difference convex algorithm vol.25, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2014.25.2.455
- Semi-supervised regression based on support vector machine vol.25, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2014.25.2.447