- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Relationships among the Pain Belief, Pain Coping, and Pain Disability of Patients with Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
근골격계 만성통증 환자의 통증신념과 통증정도, 대처양상 및 통증생활방해정도와의 관계
- Choi, Sung-Nam (College of Nursing Science, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Kim, Jeong-Hwa (College of Nursing Science, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2012.05.01
- Accepted : 2012.06.09
- Published : 2012.06.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to understand the degree of pain belief in musculoskeletal patients, and to identify the correlation with chronic pain, pain coping and pain disability. Methods: A total of 203 inpatients or outpatients with chronic pain in orthopedics agreed voluntarily to participate in this study and answer a questionnaire. Data were analyzed using SPSS/WIN 17.0 program with descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Scheffe test, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and simple linear regression. Results: The degree of pain belief in this study showed statistically significant differences depending on their age, education, job, health status, and pain duration. Among the variables correlating with pain belief in this study, there were positive correlations between pain and pain disability, pain and passive coping, pain belief and passive coping, pain belief and pain, pain belief and pain disability. The strongest correlation was passive coping and pain disability. Conclusion: From the results of this study, we concluded that it is necessary to develop the nursing intervention which can help reducing negative pain belief in patients with chronic musculoskeletal pain. Also we need to enhance the ways of coping to active or chronic pains for controlling them effectively.
- Bishop, A., Foster, N., Thomas, E., & Hay, E. M. (2008). How does the self-reported clinical management of patients with low back pain relate to the attitudes and beliefs of health care practitioners? A survey of UK general practitioners and physiotherapists. Pain, 135 (1-2), 187-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2007.11.010
- Brown, G. K., & Nicassio, P. M. (1987). Development of a questionnaire for the assessment of active and passive coping strategies in chronic pain patients. Pain, 31 (6), 53-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(87)90006-6
- Chang, H. K. (2009). A study on chronic pain, pain coping, and depression according to attributions of somatic symptoms among elderly people. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 16 (4), 402-411.
- Cohen, E., Botti, M., Hanna, B., Leach, S., Boyd, S., & Robbins, J. (2008). Pain beliefs and pain management of oncology patients. Cancer Nursing, 31 (2), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NCC.0000305676.90963.2e
- Ham, Y. L., Seo, B. N., & Ahn, Y. H. (2007). Pain patterns and factors affecting of low back pain in middle-aged women. Journal of Muscle & Joint Health, 14 (1), 33-41.
- Hong, M. S. (2010). A study on types of pain belief, and related factors of pain among chronic shoulder pain patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul.
- Jensen, M. P., Turner, J. A., & Romano, J. M. (2007). Changes after multidisciplinary pain treatment in patient pain beliefs and coping are associated with concurrent changes in patient functioning. Pain, 131 (1-2), 38-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2006.12.007
- Jin, K. O. (2008). A study on the pain, depression, life satisfaction of the chronic low back pain patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Kim, B. R., Kim, Y. H., Kim, J. S., Jeong, I. S., & Kim, J. S. (2003). A study to the coping patterns of cancer patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 33 (3), 321-330. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.3.321
- Kim, G. M., Chang, S. O., & Lee, Y. M. (2008). Factors influencing coping strategies of elders according to types of pain belief. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 15 (3), 360- 370.
- Kim, I. J., & Lee, E. O. (1995). Coping patterns in chronic low back pain: Releationship with locus of control and self-efficacy. The Journal of Rheumatology Health, 2 (1), 1-15.
- Kim, K. H. (1996). A study on the influencing factors to the quality of life of the hemodialysis patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyunghee University, Seoul.
- Lee, E. O., Lee, S. O., Lim, N. Y., Choi, S. H., Kim, D. S., Kim, S. J., et al. (1992). Sensitivity and validity test of pain rating scale using pain behavior of adult patients with chronic pain. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 22 (1), 5-16.
- Lee, E. O., Seo, M. J., Kim, I. J., Kang, H. S., Kim, M. S., Kim, M. J., et al. (1996). The relationship among self-efficacy, pain, depression, and ADL in chronic arthritis. The Journal of Rheumatology Health, 3 (2), 194-208.
- Lim, N. Y., Lee, E. Y., Yang, Y. S., Chung, S. A., Cha, G. O., & Lee, Y. J. (2000). The study on fatigue, pain, and efficacy on pain of chronic arthritis and lupus. The Journal of Rheumatology Health, 7 (1), 53-62.
- Lim, S. W. (2003). A study on health-related quality of life among patients with chronic pain. Unpublished master's thesis, Inje University, Busan.
- Ministry of Labor. (2007). Present condition analysis of industrial disasters, 1998-2006. Seoul, Korea: Author.
- Oh, H. J. (1998). The relationship between pain level and perceived family support and quality of life in musculoskeletal patients with chronic pain. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, 1 (1), 93-109.
- Park, C. J. (1995). A study on knowledge, self-efficacy and coping strategies in chronic low back pain patients. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 7 (1), 106-117.
- Park, G., & Choi, S. H. (1998). The relationship among the degrees of pain coping strategies, pain and depression of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. The Journal of Rheumatology Health, 5 (2), 254-264.
- Pollard, C. A. (1984). Preliminary validity study of the pain disability index. Perceptual & Motor Skills, 59 (3), 974. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.19220.127.116.114
- Scott, J., & Huskisson, E. C. (1976). Graphic representation of pain. Pain, 2, 175-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(76)90113-5
- Son, J. T., & Seo, S. R. (2002). Factors influencing on quality of life in aged women with chronic pain. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 32 (5), 735-742. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.5.735
- Williams, D. A., & Thorn, B. E. (1989). An empirical assessment of pain beliefs. Pain, 36 (3), 351-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(89)90095-X
- Yang, H. J., & Park, J. S. (2002). The study of pain, depression and quality of life according to the coping strategy in chronic arthritis patients. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 14 (2), 213-221.