- Volume 10 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Change in Gait Parameters Related to the Cop and Velocity Resulting from the Use of Ankle Foot Orthosis in Spastic Diplegia
경직성 양하지마비아의 발목 보조기 착용에 따른 체 중심및 보행속도에 의한 보행인자 변화연구
- Park, Mi-Sook (Department of Physical Therapy, Graduate School, Nambu University) ;
- Kim, Yong-Seong (Department of Physical Therapy, Nambu University) ;
- Hwang, Tae-Yeon (Department of Physical Therapy, Chunnam Techno University) ;
- Kim, Yong-Nam (Department of Physical Therapy, Nambu University)
- Received : 2012.05.23
- Accepted : 2012.05.31
- Published : 2012.06.30
Purpose : The objectives of this study were to examine changes in gait parameters related to the COP and gait velocity resulting from the use of ankle foot orthosis, and to provide information for the prescription of ankle foot orthosis and gait rehabilitation training. Methods : We sampled a control group of 14 normal children of the same age as the spastic diplegia (spastic diplegia used ankle foot orthosis) and measured their COP at barefoot gait and their gait parameters at three gait velocities. Change in the COP according to the use of ankle foot orthosis measured one-way ANOVA and Gait parameters according to gait velocity used repeated measures ANOVA. Results : As a result of analyzing change in the COP it became close to that of normal children, and changes in gait parameters such as step width, stride length and stride time also became close to those of normal children. Conclusion : In conclusion, when spastic diplegia used ankle foot orthosis, their balancing ability was improved as a result of decreased change in the COP, and their changes in gait parameters also became close to those of the control group. These results show that the use of ankle foot orthosis improves spastic diplegia gait functions.
- Beck RJ, Andriacchi TP, Kuo KN et al. Changes in the gait patterns of growing children. J Bone and Joint Surgery. 1981;63(9):1452-9. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-198163090-00012
- Perry J. Gait analysis: Normal and pathological function. Thorofare, NJ, Slack, 1992:352-489.
- Torok T. Amphetamines and locomotor activity. Act Nerv Super. 1972;14(4):302-3.
- Murray MP. Gait as a total pattern of movement. AMJ Phys Med. 1967;46:290-333.
- Hagberg B, Hagberg G, Olow I. The changigng panotama of cerebral palsy in sweden 1954-1970. I. Analysis of the general changes. Acta Paediatr Scand. 1975;64:187-92. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.1975.tb03820.x
- Nelson KB, Ellenberg JH. Epidemiology of cerebral palsy. Adv Neurol. 1978;19:421-35.
- Park ES, Park CI, Kim JY. Foot pressure distribution and path of center of pressure(cop) of foot during ambulation in the children with spastic cerebral palsy. J Korean Acad Rehab Med.2002;26(2):127-32.
- Young CR. The f-scan system of foot pressure analysis. Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 1993;10:455-61.
- Paik NJ, Im MS. The path of center of pressure(cop) of the foot during walking. J Korean Acad Rehab Med. 1997;21(4):762-71.
- Berger W, Altenmueller E, Dietz V. Normal and imparied development of children's gait. Hum Neurobiol. 1984;3:163-70.
- Bleck EE. The sense of balance. Dev Med Child Neurol. 1994;36:377-8.
- Wall JC, Turnbull GI. Gait asymmetries in residual hemiplegia. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1986;67: 550-3.
- Lehmann JF, Condon SM, Price R et al. Gait abnormalities in hemiplegia:Their correction by an ankle-foot orthoses. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1987;68:763-71.
- Kwon BS. Pediatric rehabilitation. Seoul, Koonja, 2006;187-210.
- Powell MM, Silva PD, Grindeland T. Effects of two types of ankle-foot orthoses on the gait of children with spastic diplegia. Dev Med Child Neurol. 1989;31:8-9.
- Thomas SS, Mazur JM, Wright N. Quantitative assessment of ankel-foot orthoses for children with cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 1992;34:547-55.
- Song CH, Lee SW. Effects of foot orthotic on postrual sway. J Kor Soc Phys Ther. 2004;16(2):99-107.
- Shin HK, Ko MS, Kim DH et al. The immediate effects of the toe spreader on the gait of children with spastic diplegic cerebral palsy. Journal of the Korean Academy of University Trained Physical Therapists. 2003;10(4):77-83.
- Lim HY, Ahn YJ, Kim YR et al. A study on effect in hemiplegic patients in the hinged plastic ankle foot orthoses and solid plastic ankle foot orthosis. J Kor Soc Phys Ther. 2004;16(3):161-75.
- Park ES, Park CI, Lee HJ et al. Comparison of gait characteristics with dynamic and solid ankle-foot orthoses in children with spastic cerebral palsy. J Korean Acad Rehab Med. 2000;24(4):663-71.
- Rose SA, Ounpuu S, Duluca PA. Strategies for the assessment of pediatric gait in the clinical setting. Phys Ther. 1991;71:93-112.
- Carlberg EB, Hadders AM. Postural dysfunction in children with cerebral palsy: Some implications for therapeutic guidance. Neural Plast. 2005;12(2-3):221- 8. https://doi.org/10.1155/NP.2005.221
- Guskiewicz KM, Perrin DH. Effect of orthotics on postural sway following inversion ankle sprain. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1996;23:326-31. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.1922.214.171.1246
- Van der Heide JC, Fock JM, Otten B et al. Kinematic characteristics of postural control during reaching in preterm children with cerebral palsy. Pediatr Res. 2005;58(3):586-93. https://doi.org/10.1203/01.pdr.0000176834.47305.26
- Moon JG. The effect of ankle foot orthosis on muscle activity and weight distribution in standing position of children with spastic diplegia. Yongin University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2006.
- Murray MP, Drought AB, Kory RC. Walking patterns of normal man. Bone joint Surg Am. 1964;46:335-60. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-196446020-00009
- Perry J. Kinesiology of lower extremity bracing. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1974;102:18-31. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-197407000-00004
- Sutherlalnd DH, Hagy JL. Measurement of gait movements from motion picture film. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1972;54(4):787-97. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-197254040-00009
- Winter DA, Kuryliak WM. Dynamic stabilization inhuman gait. Biomechanics. 1974;2:280-6.
- Lee KS. Biomechanical analysis of the gait pattern differences between in normal children and children with cerebral palsy. Hallym University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 1998.
- Heo CS, Park BL. Coordination and timing control capabilities in children with cerebral palsy. Korean journal of sport psychology. 1999;10(2):21-44.
- Norlin R, Odenrick P. Development of gait in spastic children with cerebral palsy. J of Pediatric Orthopedics. 1986;6:674-80. https://doi.org/10.1097/01241398-198611000-00006