- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Relationship among the Types of Causes and Expressions of Anger, Social Competence and Emotional Intelligence in Children
초등학교 저학년 아동의 분노원인, 분노표현 유형과 사회적 유능감 및 정서지능 간의 관계 연구
- Jang, Hye-Ju (School of Child Studies, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Lim, Ji-Young (School of Child Studies, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2012.02.08
- Accepted : 2012.05.31
- Published : 2012.06.30
The purposes of this study were to verify the frequency of and causes and expression types of anger in children, which had been identified by means of a Q-tool and to investigate the relationship among the types of causes and expressions of anger, emotional intelligence, and social competence. The subjects of this study were 1,018 children aged between 8 to 10 years of age. MANCOVA and Logistic regression analysis were utilized. The major findings of this study were as follows : (1) a Q-Tool was developed through the selection of statements representing the feature of each type of anger, in terms of both-cause and expression. (2) Social competence revealed significant differences according to children's gender and emotional intelligence revealed significant differences according to children's gender and the types of anger causes, and (3) Emotional regulation out of subordinate variables of emotional intelligence, and interpersonal adjustment out of subordinate variables of social competence affected the types of expressions of anger in children.
- Brody, G. H., Stoneman, A., & McCoy, K. (1994). Forecasting sibling relationships in early adolescence from child temperaments and family processes in middle childhood. Child Development, 65, 771-784. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131417
- Carter, L., & Minirth, F. (1993). The Anger-workbook. Nashville：Thomas Nelson.
- Choi, B. R. (2010). Relations between emotional intelligence and subjective well-being of male and female children. Unpublished master thesis, Gyeongin National University of Education, Incheon, Korea.
- Doh, H. S. (1994). Social competence of kindergartners and sixth graders：its relationships to parental attention, parental protectiveness, the children's sex, and their birth category. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation. Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Han, D. H. (2009). The influence of the anxiety, depression, self-esteem on the anger expression type in adolescents. Unpublished master thesis, Seoul Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Harter, S. (1998). Developmental Prespect in the Constuction of the Self. In T. D. Yawkey & J. E. Johnson (Eds.), Integrative processes and socialization：Early to middle childhood (pp. 23-78). Hillsdale, NJ：Erlhaum.
- Hubbard, J. A., Coie, J. D., & Dodge, K. A. (1994). The social behavior of popular and average staus boys in a group of unfamiliar peers. Unpublished manuscript. durham, Nc： Duke University.
- Jang, H. J., Kim, H. K., & Lim, J. Y. (2010). A study on child's anger attribution. Korean Society for the Scientific Study of Subjectivity, 20, 205-225.
- Jang, H. J., & Lim, J. Y. (2011). A study of children's anger-expression styles：A QMethodological approach. Journal of the Korea Home Economics Association, 49(4), 11-23. https://doi.org/10.6115/khea.2011.49.4.011
- Jang, M. S. (2005). Ecological variables on children's emotional intelligence. Unpublished master thesis, Catholic University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kang, H. Y. (2010). The relationship between young children's intellectual ability and social competence. Unpublished master thesis, Korea National University of Education, Chung-Buk, Korea.
- Kang, S. D. (1997). Development of education program for anger control and it's validation. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul University, Seoul, Korea.
- Katz, L. G., & MaClellan, D. E. (1997). Fostering children's social competence：The teacher's role. NAEYC Research into Practice Series.
- Kim, J. A. (2008). The effects of cognitive, behavioral and emotional anger control training program on the anger control and dysfunctional attitude for elementary school children. Unpublished master thesis, Seoul National University of Education, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, S. H. (2009). Development and validation of inventory of the anger-inducing automatic thoughts for elementary school children. Unpublished master thesis, Chinju National University of Education, Chinju, Korea.
- Kim, H. K. (2008). Q Methodology：Philosophy, Theories, Analysis, and Application. Seoul： Commbooks Press.
- LaFreniere, P. J., Masatak, N., Butovskaya, M., Chen, Q., Pessen, M. A., & Atwanger, K. (2002). Cross-cultural analysis of social competence and behavior problems in preschoolers. Early Education and Development. 13(2), 201-219. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15566935eed1302_6
- Lemierise, E. A., & Dodge, K. A. (1993). The Development of Anger and hostile interactions. In M. Lewis, & J. M. Haviland (Eds), Handbook of emotions. New York： Guliford Press.
- Lee, E. J. (2008). Study on relationship between young children's social competence and acceptance attitude toward children with developmental delays. Unpublished master thesis, Dankook Universtiy, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, K. H. (2010). Obsessional personality characteristics experiences of stress, and anger expression. Unpublished master thesis, Catholic University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, J. E. (2008). The effects of emotional intelligence and creative personality on childrens stress and stress coping behaviors. Unpulished master thesis, Myongji University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, J. S. (2006). The influence of emotional intelligence, speech anxiety and mental health upon school-related adjustment. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kwandong University, Gangneung, Korea.
- Lee, M. G. (2006). Development of a cognitivebehavioral anger control program and it's effects on elementary school children under the anger-inducing situation. Unpublished master thesis, Chinju National University of Education, Chinju, Korea.
- Martin, R. C., & Dahlen, E. R. (2005). Cognitive emotion regulation in the prediction of depression, anxiety, stress, and anger. Personality and Individual Differences, 39, 1249-1260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2005.06.004
- Mischel, W., Shoda, Y., & Rodriguez, M. L. (1989). Delay of gratification in children. Science, 244, 933-938. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.2658056
- Myer, J. D., & Salovey, P. (1997). What is Emotional Intelligence? In P. Salovey & D. J. Sluyter (Eds.), Emotional development and emotional intelligence：Educational implications (pp. 3-31). New York：Basic Books.
- No, J. Y. (2007). The intervention effects of schilling's emotional intelligence program on emotional intelligence and social competence of elementary school students. Unpublished master thesis, Daegu Nation University of Education. Daegu, Korea.
- Novaco, R. W. (1976). The functions and regulation of the arousal of anger. African Journal of Psychiatry, 133, 1124-1127.
- Oh, S. K. (2010). The difference of emotional regulation and social competence. Unpublished master thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- O'Malley, J. M. (1977). Research perspective on social competence. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 23, 29-44.
- Park, J. Y. (2010). Understanding peer victimization in boys and girls：its relationships with stress, anger, and coping. Unpulished master thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Rapper, R. M., Spence, S. H., Cobham, V., & H. Wignall. (2000). Helping your anxious children： A-step-by-step guide for parents. New Harbinger Publication, Inc. 이정윤․박중국 역(2002). 불안하고 걱정 많은 아이 어떻게 도와줄까? 아동기 불안의 인지행동치료 지침서, 서울：시그마프레스.
- Rasit, A., & Sonay, G. (2010). An investigation of violent and nonviolent adolescents's family functioning, problems concerning family members, anger and anger expression. Educational Sciences：Theory & Practice, 10(1), 66-76.
- Rubin, K. H., Coplan, R. J., Fox, M. A., & Calkins, S. D. (1995). Emotionality, emotion regulation, and preschooler a social adaptation. Development and Psychopathology, 7, 49-62. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954579400006337
- Salovey, P., & Mayer, J. D. (1997). What is Emotional Intelligence? In P. Salovey & D. Sluyter (Eds). Emotional development and emotional intelligence：Implications for educators( pp. 3-31). New York：Basic Books. Mazel, New York.
- Seo, M. H. (2002). The effects of anger control program for children. Unpublished master thesis, Busan Nation University of Education, Busan, Korea.
- Seo, M. S. (2006). Effects of emotional intelligence education program on elementary low graders' emotional intelligence and peer relation. Unpublished master thesis, Korea National University of Education, Chung-Buk, Korea.
- Shim, J. S. (2006). The effects of stress coping program on the stress and school-life adjustment of elementary school children. Unpublished master thesis, Korea National University of Education, Chung-Buk, Korea.
- Song, M. J. (2008). Developmental psychology. Seoul：Hakjisa.
- Spielberger, C. D., Reheiser, E. C., & Sydeman, S. J. (1995). Measuring the experience, expression, and control of anger. In H. Kassinove (Ed.), Anger disorders：Definition, diagnosis, and treatment (pp. 48-67), London： Taylor & Francis.
- Stifter, S., Spinrad, T., & Braungart-Rieker, J. (1999). Toward a developmental model of child compliance：the role of emotion regulation in infancy. Child Development, 70, 21-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8624.00003
- Yang, S. H. (2003). The effects of experiencing humor actitivities on the creativity, humor appreciation and expression of young children at different levels of emotional intelligence. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Duksung Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Yu, K. S. (2010). The influnce of group counselling program to improve emotional intelligence on emotional intelligence and anger expression. Unpublished master thesis, Hannam University, Daejeon, Korea.
- Yun, M. J. (2010). Path analysis of variables related to professional socialization of nurses. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Gyeongsang National University, Chinju, Korea.
- Underwood, M. K. (1997). Peer social status and children's understanding of the expression and control of positive and negative emotions, Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 43, 610-634.
- Perceptions, attitudes, and behaviors toward sustainable fashion: Application of Q and Q-R methodologies vol.41, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcs.12335