- Volume 29 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Theoretical Analyses on Actuator Stiffness and Structural Stiffness of Non-redundant and Redundant Symmetric 5R Parallel Mechanisms
비과구동, 과구동 대칭형 5R 병렬기구의 구동 및 구조 강성의 이론적 해석
- Jin, Sang-Rok (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National Univ.) ;
- Kim, Jong-Won (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National Univ.) ;
- Seo, Tae-Won (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yeungnam Univ.)
- Received : 2011.09.28
- Accepted : 2012.02.21
- Published : 2012.09.01
Redundant actuated parallel kinematic machines (PKMs) have been widely researched to increase stiffness of PKMs. This paper presents theoretical analyses on the stiffness of non-redundant and redundant actuated PKM. Stiffness of each mechanism is defined by summation of actuator and structural stiffness; the actuator stiffness is determined from displacements of actuators, and the structural stiffness is determined from deformations of links by external forces. Calculated actuator and structural stiffness of non-redundant PKM show same distribution in entire workspace. On the contrary, the actuator and the structural stiffness of a redundant PKM has very different distribution in the workspace; so, we conclude the structural stiffness of redundant PKM should be considered to design the redundant PKM. The results can be used to design and analyze non-redundant and redundant PKMs.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Merlet, J. P., "Parallel Robots, 2nd ed.," Springer, 2006.
- Lee, S. H., Lee, J. H., Kim, W. K., and Yi, B. J., "Analysis on Kinematic Characteristics for Spatial 3- DOF Parallel Mechanisms Employing Stewart Platform Structure," J. of the KSPE, Vol. 22, No. 8, pp. 118-127, 2005.
- Kim, H. S. and Choi, Y. J., "The Forward/Inverse Force Transmission Analyses of the Stewart Platform," J. of the KSPE, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 200- 208, 1999.
- Kim, S. H., Jeon, D., Shin, H. P., In, W., and Kim, J., "Design and Analysis of Decoupled Parallel Mechanism with Redundant Actuator," Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 93-99, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-009-0076-2
- Kang, D. S., Seo, T., Kim, J., Liu, X.-J., Ahn, C. S., and Kang, Y. J., "A Parallel Mechanism Micro- Positioning Platform with a 100-degree Tilting Capability," Asian Symposium for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, 2005.
- Seo, T., In, W., and Kim, J., "A New Planar 3-DOF Parallel Mechanism with Continuous 360-degree Rotational Capability," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 23, No. 11, pp. 3088-3094, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-009-0818-1
- Zhang, D., "On Stiffness Improvement of the Tricept Machine Tool," Robotica, Vol. 23, pp. 377-386, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0263574704000992
- Wu, J., Wang, J., Li, T., and Wang, L., "Dynamic analysis of the 2-DOF planar parallel manipulator of heavy duty hybrid machine tool," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 34, No. 3-4, pp. 413-420, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-006-0605-4
- Yi, B. J. and Freeman, R. A., "Simultaneous stiffness generation and internal load distribution in redundantly actuated mechanisms," International Conference on Advanced Robotics, Vol. 1, pp. 802-807, 1991.
- Chakarov, D., "Study of the Antagonistic Stiffness of Parallel Manipulators with Actuation Redundancy," Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 39, pp. 583-601, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2003.12.001
- Lee, S. H., Lee, J. H., Yi, B. J., Kim, S. H., and Kwak, Y. K., "Optimization and Experimental Verification for the Antagonistic Stiffness in Redundantly Actuated Mechanisms: A Five-Bar Example," Mechatronics, Vol. 15, pp. 213-238, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechatronics.2004.07.008
- Lee, S., Kim, S., In, W., Kim, M., Jeong, J. I., and Kim, J., "Experimental Verification of Antagonistic Stiffness Planning for a Planar Parallel Mechanism with 2-DOF Force Redundancy," Robotica, Vol. 29, pp. 547-554, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0263574710000445
- Goncalves, R. S., Carvalho, J. C. M., Carbone, G., and Ceccarelli, M., "Indices for Stiffness and Singularity Evaluation for Designing 5R Parallel Manipulator," The Open Mechanical Engineering Journal, Vol. 4, pp. 61-68, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874123101004010061
- Liu, X.-J., Wang, J., and Pritschow, G., "Kinematics, Singularity and Workspace of Planar 5R Symmetrical Parallel Mechanisms," Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 41, pp. 145-169, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2005.05.004
- Stiffness optimization of 5-axis machine tool for improving surface roughness of 3D printed products vol.31, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-017-0625-z