- Volume 19D Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Power Consumption for Embedded Software using UML State Machine Diagram
UML 상태 기계를 이용한 임베디드 소프트웨어의 소모 전력 분석
- Received : 2012.02.21
- Accepted : 2012.07.10
- Published : 2012.08.31
A wide variety of smartphone applications is increasing the usage time of smartphone. Due to the increased time, it becomes difficult to providing stable services to users with limited battery capacity. The past works have been performed the power management of mobile device toward long-lasting battery development or low-power electric devices. However as the complexity of software embedded into system are increased, the research interests of the software power analysis is also increased. Among these studies on the software power analysis, model-based analysis technique is one of major interests because it can be able to analyze the power consumption before the development of source codes, then the analysis result can be used in the development of the software system, This paper suggests a model-based power analysis technique using UML state machine diagram. Our proposed technique estimates the power consumption by the simulation of Perti-net which is transformed from the state machine diagram.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- M. Caldari, M. Conti, M. Coppola, P. Crippa, S. Orcioni, L. Pieralisi, C. Turchetti, "System-Level Power Analysis Methodology Applied to the AMBA AHB BUS," Design, Automation and Test in Europe, pp.32-37, 2003.
- Reinaldo A. Bergamaschi, Yunjian W. Jiang, "State-Based Power Analysis for Systems-on-Chip," Design Automation Conference, pp.638-641, 2003.
- Youngjin Cho, Younghyun Kim, Sangyoung Park, Naehyuck Chang, "System-Level Power Estimation using an On-Chip Bus Performance Monitoring Unit," IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer-Aided Design, pp.149-154, 2008.
- V. Tiwari, S. Malik, and A. Wolfe "Power Analysis of Embedded Software: A First Step Towards Software Power Minimization," IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI ) Systems, Vol.2, Issue 4, pp.437-445, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/92.335012
- D. Sarta, D. Trifone, and G. Ascia, "A Data Dependent Approach to Instruction Level Power Estimation," IEEE Alessandro Volta Memorial Workshop on Low Power Design, pp.182-190, 1999.
- Klass, B., et. al., "Modeling Inter-instruction energy effects in a digital signal processor," Proceeding of the Power Driven Microarchitecture Workshop, ISCA'98, 1998.
- E. Senn, J. Laurent, N. Julien, and E. Martin, "Softexplorer: estimating and optimizing the power and energy consumption of a C program for DSP applications," EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Progressing, 2005.
- A. Muttreja, A. Raghunathan, S. Ravi, N. K. Jha, "Hybrid Simulation for Energy Estimation of Embedded Software," IEEE Transaction on Computer-AIDED Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, Vol.26, No.10, pp.1843-1854, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCAD.2007.895760
- T. K. Tan, A. Raghunathan, et al., "Energy Macromodeling of Embedded Operating Systems," ACM Transaction on Embedded Computing Systems, Vol.4, Issue 1, pp.231-254, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1145/1053271.1053281
- X. Yue, Z. Xuehai, L. Xi, G. Yuchang, "OOEM: Object-Oriented Energy Model for Embedded Software Reuse," IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration, pp.551-558, 2003.
- T. K. Tan, A. Raghunathan, et al., "Software Architectural Transformations: A New Approach to Low Energy Embedded Software," Proceeding of Design, Automation & Test in Europe, pp.1046-1051, 2003.
- Kim, D.H., Kim, J.P., and Hong, J.E., "A Power Consumption Analysis Technique Using UML-Based Design Models in Embedded Software Development," LNCS Vol.6543, pp.320-331, 2011.
- H. Jun, L. Xuandong, Z. Guoliang, W. Chenghua, "Modelling and Analysis of Power Consumption for Component-Based Embedded Software," Proc. Embedded Ubiquitous Computing Workshops 2006, pp.795-804, 2006.
- B. Nogueira, P. Maciel, E, Tavares, E. Andrade, R. Massa, G. Callou, R. Ferraz1, "A Formal Model for Performance and Energy Evaluation of Embedded Systems," EURASIP Journal on Embedded Systems, 2011.
- E. Carneiro, P. Maciel, G. Callou, E. Tavares, B. Nogueira, "Mapping SysML State Machine Diagram to Time Petri net for Analysis and Verification of Embedded Real-Time Systems with Energy Constraints," International Conference on Advances in Electronics and Micro-electronics, pp.1-6, 2008.
- E. Kerkouche, A. A. Chaoui, El Bay Bourennane, O. Labbani "A UML and Colored Petri Nets Integrated Modeling and Analysis Approach using Graph Transformation," Journal of Object Technology, Vol.9, No.4, pp.25-43, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5381/jot.2010.9.4.a2
- J. Trowitzsch and A. Zimmermann, "Using UML State Machines and Perti Nets for the Quantitative Investigation of ETCS," ACM Value Tools'06, pp.1-8, 2006.
- H. Jung and S. Joo, "Transformation of an Activity Model into a Colored Petri Net Model," Int'l conf. on Trends in info. sci. and computing, pp.32-27, 2010.
- Kurt Jensen, Coloured Pert Nets, Vol.1 and Vol.2, Spring-Verlag, 1992.
- Bammi, J.R., et al., "Software Performance Estimation Strategies in a System-Level Design Tool," Proceedings of CODES, pp.82-86, 2000.
- Kim, D.H. and Hong, J.E., "Energy Component Library for Power Consumption Analysis of Embedded Software," The KIPS Transactions: Part D, Vol.16-D, pp.871-880, Dec., 2009. https://doi.org/10.3745/KIPSTD.2009.16D.6.871
- OMG, Unified Modeling Language Superstructure, Version 2.3, Doc #: 2010-05-05, May, 2010.
- H.S. Min, Embedded System Programming with UML: Rhapsody in C++ (Ver 7.X), Bogdoo Publisher, 2009.
- Meta Software, Design/CPN Reference Manual: Part 3, CPN ML Reference, 1993.
- Tan, T.K., Raghunathan, A., Jha, N.K., "EMSIM: An Energy Simulation Framework for an Embedded Operating System," International Symposium of Circuits and Systems, pp.464-467, 2002.