- Volume 24 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Recent Reports in Treatment for REM Sleep Behavior Disorder in Traditional Chinese Medicine and Kampo in Japan
REM 수면 행동 장애의 치료에 대한 중의학 및 Kampo의 연구 경향
- Choi, Yoon-Hee (Department of Oriental Neuropsychiatry, Dong-Eui Oriental Medical Hospital in Dong-Eui University) ;
- Jung, Jin-Hyeong (Department of Oriental Neuropsychiatry, Dong-Eui Oriental Medical Hospital in Dong-Eui University) ;
- Kim, Bo-Kyung (Department of Oriental Neuropsychiatry, Dong-Eui Oriental Medical Hospital in Dong-Eui University)
- Received : 2013.10.07
- Accepted : 2013.11.22
- Published : 2013.12.30
Objectives: This study was performed to review the research trends in treatment for REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD) in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and Kampo in Japan. Methods: We searched articles in CNKI (China National Knowledge Infrastructure) under the key words, "RBD", and Chinese words related with it in Traditional Chinese Medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicinal Herbs and Combination of Traditional Chinese Medicine With Western Medicine' field, and also in CiNii (Citation Information by NII); we also searched articles in Kampo Square in Japan under the key words, "RBD" and Japanese words related with it. We found 10 papers, and then selected 6 of them except the non-clinical and unrelated studies. We then analyzed their way of diagnosis, treatments, study type and etc.. Results: 6 studies were divided into 4 case reports, one control study, and one literature review study. All of the studies reported that Herbal medicine for RBD was effective as much as Western medicine like clonazepam and paroxetine. However, the quality and the quantity of these clinical studies were not enough. Conclusions: It seems that the researches for RBD have gradually been performed in TCM and Kampo. We hope that our study can activate/push forward clinical research for this disorder in Korean traditional medicine.
- Yoon IY. REM Sleep Behavior Disorder and Nightmares. Sleep Medicine and Psychophysiology. 1995;2(1):3-12.
- Lam SP, Li SXI, Zhang JH, Wing YK. Development of Scales for Assessment of REM Sleep Behavior Disorder (RBD). Sleep Medicine. 2012;14(8):1-5.
- Schenck CH, Bundlie SR, Ettinger MG, Mahowald MW. Chronic Behavioral Disorders of Human REM Sleep: A New Category of Parasomnia. Sleep. 1986;9:293-308.
- Aurora RN, Zak RS, Maganti RK, et al. Best Practice Guide for the Treatment of REM Sleep Behavior Disorder (RBD). Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. 2010;6(1):85-95.
- Lee YJ, Cho SJ. The Diagnosis and Management for REM Sleep Behavior Disorder. Journal of Korean Geriatric Psychiatry. 2010;14:81-5.
- Choe YM, Yoon IY, Kim KW, Lee SD, Ju GW, Park JH. Prevalence and Clinical Features of Probable REM Sleep Behavior Disorder-An Epidemiological Study in Osan City. Sleep Medicine and Psychophysiology. 2011;18(1):23-8.
- Yun CH, Ji KH, Ha CK. Melatonin Therapy for REM Sleep Behavior Disorder with Co-existing Moderate-to-Severe Sleep Apnea. Journal of the Korean Neurological Association. 2007;25(2):187-93.
- Imada G. One Case of REM Sleep Behavior Disorder Which was Effective by Using Yigan-san with Kamikihi-To. Kampo Practice Journal. 2010;1(1):52.
- Ariyoshi Y. The Experience of Use Yigan-san for REM Sleep Behavior Disorder. Science of Kampo Medicine. 2010;34(2):142-3.
- Zheng P. A Case of Rapid Eye Movement Sleep Behavior Disorder Treated by Jieyuanshen Granule. CJGMCM. 2011;26(4):805-6.
- Kosaka H, Ishitobi M, Asano M, et al. A Successful Case of REM Sleep Behavior Disorder Treated by Keishikaryukotsuborei-to. Kampo Practice Journal. 2013;4(1):38.
- Sasanabe R. The Effectiveness of Yigan-san for REM Sleep Behavior Disorder Compared with That of Clonazepam. Science of Kampo Medicine. 2013;37(1):22-5.
- Liu YJ. Searching for Chinese Treatment of Rapid Eye Movement Sleep Behavior Disorder. Chinese Medicine Modern Distance Education of China. 2012;10(15):86-8.
- Tsumura Co., Ltd.. Tsumura Yigan-san Extract Granule; 2013.
- Tsumura Co., Ltd.. Tsumura Keishikaryukotsuborei-To Extract Granule; 2013.
- Tsumura Co., Ltd.. Tsumura Kamikihi-To Extract Granule; 2013.