- Volume 19 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of Work Stress, Compassion Fatigue, and Compassion Satisfaction on Burnout in Clinical Nurses
간호사의 직무 스트레스, 공감피로 및 공감만족이 소진에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Jung-Min (Graduate School, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Yom, Young-Hee (Red Cross College of Nursing, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2013.11.11
- Accepted : 2013.12.01
- Published : 2013.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify the effects of work stress, compassion fatigue and compassion satisfaction on burnout in clinical nurses. Methods: The sample consisted of 268 nurses from two general hospitals located in Seoul and Gyunggi province. Data were analyzed using frequencies, percentages, means and standard deviations, t-test, ANOVA, Scheff
- Abendroth, M., & Flannery, J. (2006). Predicting the risk of compassion fatigue: A study of hospice nurses. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing, 8, 346-356. https://doi.org/10.1097/00129191-200611000-00007
- Choe, M. O. (2009). The effects of the exposure on traumatic events, occupational qualities, and psychosocial resources on the compassion fatigue and burnout. Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 28, 262-262.
- Collins, S., & Long, A. (2003). Working with psychological effects of trauma: Consequences for mental health-care workers-A literature review. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 10, 417-424. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2850. 2003.00620.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2850.2003.00620.x
- Crystal, H. (2010). Compassion satisfaction, burnout, and compassion fatigue among emergency nurses compared with nurses in other selected inpatient specialties. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 36, 420-427. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jen.2009.11.027
- Figley, C. R. (1995). Compassion fatigue. coping with secondary traumatic stress disorder in those who treat the traumatized. New York, NY: Brunner/Mazel.
- Figley, C. R. (2002). Treating compassion fatigue. New York, NY: Brunner-Routledge.
- Gray-Toft, P., & Anderson, J. P. (1981). Stress among hospital nursing staff: Its cause and effects. Social Science & Medicine, 15, 639-647.
- Gu, M. O., & Kim, M. J. (1984). The development of the stress measurement tool for staff nurses working in the hospital. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 14, 28-37.
- Hong, G. P. (1984). An analytic study on burnout in relation with personal and job related characteristics and social support . Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, E. H. (1996). The study of job related stress among hospital nurse. Research Institute of Nursing Science, Ewha Womans University, 8 (2), 151-168.
- Kim, H. J. (2011). Emergency nurses' professional quality of life: Compassion satisfaction, burnout, and secondary traumatic stress. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 18, 320-328. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.320
- Kim, H. J. (2013). The structural equation model of the burnout in clinical nurses based on CS-CF model. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Ko, J. W., & Yom, Y. H. (2003). The role of social support in the relationship between job stress and job satisfaction/organizational commitment among hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 33, 265-274.
- Leihter, M. P. (1993). Burnout as a developmental process: Considerations of models. In W. B. Schaufeli, C. Maslash & T. Marek (Eds.), Professional burnout: Recent developments in theory and research (pp. 237-250). Washington, DC: Taylor & Francis.
- Maslach, C. (1998). A multidimensional theory of burnout. In C. L. Cooper(Ed.), Theories of organizational stress (pp. 24-37). Oxford, New York: Oxford University Press.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. (1999, January). Stress at work(Issue No. 99-101). Cincinnati, OH: Author.
- O'Connor, M. F. (2001). On the etiology and effective management of professional distress and impairment among psychologists. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 32, 345-350. https://doi.org/10.1037/0735-7028.32.4.345
- Park, H. J. (2009). Emotional labour, emotional expression and burnout of clinical nurses. The Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 15 , 225-232.
- Robertson, S., & Gow, K. M. (2011). How burned out employees perceive work stress and organizational burnout. In K. M. Gow & C. J. Marek (Eds.), Way finding through life's challenges: Coping and survival (pp. 385-402). New York, NY: Nova Science Publishers.
- Slocum-Gori, S. (2011) Understanding compassion satisfaction, compassion fatigue and burnout: A survey of the hospice palliative care workforce. Palliative Medicine, 27 (4), 172- 178. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0269216311431311
- Stamm, B. H. (2002) Measuring compassion satisfaction as well as fatigue: Developmental history of the compassion satisfaction and fatigue test. Psychosocial stress series. New York, NY: Brunner-Routledge.
- Stamm, B. H. (2009). The concise ProQOL manual (2nd ed.). Pocatello, ID: ProQOL.org.
- Stebnicki, M. A. (2000). Stress and grief reactions among rehabilitation professionals: Dealing effectively with empathy fatigue. Journal of Rehabilitation, 66, 23-29.
- Valent, P. (1995). Survival strategies: A frame work for under standing secondary traumatic stress and coping in helpers. In Figley, C. R. (Ed.), Compassion fatigue: Secondary traumatic stress disorder in helper. New York, NY: Brunner- Mazel.
- Yoder, E. A. (2010). Compassion fatigue in nurse. Nursing Research, 23 (4), 191-197. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2008. 09.003
- Yoon, G. S., & Kim, S. Y. (2010). Influences of job stress and burnout on turnover intention of nurse. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16 , 507-516. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.507
- A Study of the Relationship between Compassion Fatigue, Somatization and Silencing Response among Hospital Nurses: Focusing on the Mediating Effects of Silencing Response vol.26, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.3.362
- Effects of emotional labor, job stress and burnout on somatization in nurses : In convergence era vol.13, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.10.415
- Work experiences of ethnic minority nurses: a qualitative study vol.5, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13584-016-0076-5
- A Study of the Relationships between Compassion Fatigue, Compassion Satisfaction, Depression, Anxiety, and Sleep Disorders among Oncology Nurses vol.17, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2017.17.2.116
- Relationship between Job Stress and Compassion Satisfaction, Compassion Fatigue, Burnout for Nurses in Children’s Hospital vol.23, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2017.23.4.459
- Effects of Nursing Practice Environment, Compassion Fatigue and Compassion Satisfaction on Burnout in Clinical Nurses vol.21, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.193
- Influencing Effects of Role Conflict, Resilience on Burnout in Physician Assistants vol.29, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2017.29.5.1424