- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Application of Competitive ELISA Method for Estimation of Urinary Aflatoxin M1 Level
ELISA 방법을 이용한 요중 아플라톡신 M1 측정
- Kim, Yong-Dae (Department of Preventive Medicine and Medical Research Institute, College of Medicine, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Heon (Department of Preventive Medicine and Medical Research Institute, College of Medicine, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2013.01.02
- Accepted : 2013.02.05
- Published : 2013.02.28
We compared the efficacy of the competitive ELISA method for measuring the level of urinary aflatoxin M1 (AFM1) with that of the HPLC-fluorescence detector (HPLC-FLD) method. The recovery rate of AFM1 with the ELISA method was 105% (73-124%), and the coefficient of variation of the analysis was 6.85%. The ELISA method showed a 0.20 pg/ml and 0.62 pg/ml limit of detection and limit of quantitation, respectively. In correlation analysis, the two methods showed a very strong and statistically significant correlation (R=0.96, p<0.01). However, in spite of the strong correlation, the ELISA method tended to overestimate the urinary AFM1 concentration compared to the HPLC-FLD method. These results suggest that the competitive ELISA method may be a useful technique for measuring the AFM1 level in high-throughput urine samples, but it needs to be corrected with a regression equation from regression analysis with the HPLC-FLD method.
Supported by : 식품의약청
- Applebaum, R. S., Brackett, R. E., Wiseman, D. W. and Marth, E. H. 1982. Aflatoxin: oxicity to dairy cattle and occurrence in milk and milk products. A Review J Food Prot 45, 752-777.
- Cheng, Z., Root, M., Ran, W., Chen, J. and Campbell, T. C. 1997. Use of an improved method for analysis of urinary aflatoxin M1 in a survey of Mainland China and Taiwan. Cancer Epidem Biomarker Prev 6, 523-529.
- Everley, R. A., Ciner, F. L., Zhan, D., Scholl, P. F., Groopman, J. D. and Croley, T. R. 2007. Measurement of aflatoxin and aflatoxin metabolites in urine by liquid chromatographytandem mass spectrometry. J Anal Toxicol 31, 150-156. https://doi.org/10.1093/jat/31.3.150
- Hu, W. G., Tien, C. C., Wang, Y. H., Ting, T. Y., Fong, Y. C., Loung, Y. T. and Huang, S. S. 1983. Urinary excretion of aflatoxin M1 in inhabitants of region with high liver cancer incidence in Guangxi. Hygiene Invest 27, 152-154.
- Jonsyn-Ellis, F. E. 2001. Seasonal variation in exposure frequency and concentration levels of aflatoxins and ochratoxins in urine samples of boys and girls. Mycopathologia 152, 35-40. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011950512675
- Kim, E. K., Shon, D. H., Ryu, D., Park, J. W., Hwang, H. J. and Kim, Y. B. 2000. Occurrenceofaflatoxin M1 in Korean dairy products determined by ELISA and HPLC. Food Addit Contam 17, 59-64. https://doi.org/10.1080/026520300283595
- Kim, H. J., Kwak, B. Y. and Shon, D. H. 2009. Detection of Aflatoxin M1 in Human and Porcine Urine and Its Risk Assessment. Korean J Food Sci Technol 41, 215-221.
- Leong, Y. H., Latiff, A. A., Ahmad, N. I. and Rosma, A. 2012. Exposure measurement of aflatoxins and aflatoxin metabolites in human body fluids. A short review. Mycotoxin Res 28, 79-87. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12550-012-0129-8
- Neal, G. E., Eaton, D. L., Judah, D. J. and Verma, A. 1998. Metabolism and toxicity of aflatoxins M1 and B1 in human- derived in vitro systems. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 151, 152-158. https://doi.org/10.1006/taap.1998.8440
- Park, J. W., Kim, E. K. and Kim, Y. B. 2004. Estimation of the daily exposure of Koreans to flatoxin B1 through food consumption. Food Addit Contam 21, 70-75. https://doi.org/10.1080/02652030310001622782
- Wogan, G. N., Kensler, T. W. and Groopman, J. D. 2012. Present and future directions of translational research on aflatoxin and hepatocellular carcinoma. A review Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 29, 249-257. https://doi.org/10.1080/19440049.2011.563370
- Zarba, A., Wild, C. P., Hall, A. J., Montesano, R., Hudson, G. J. and Groopman, J. D. 1992. Aflatoxin M1 in human breast milk from The Gambia, west Africa, quantified by combined monoclonal antibody immunoaffinity chromatography and HPLC. Carcinogenesis 13, 891-894. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/13.5.891
- Current Immunoassay Methods for the Rapid Detection of Aflatoxin in Milk and Dairy Products vol.16, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12287