- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Investigation of a Thermal Analysis Method for IPMSM in Railway Vehicles
철도차량용 영구자석 동기전동기의 열해석 기법 연구
- Park, Chan-Bae (Advanced Traction and Noncontact System Research Team, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Hyung-Woo (Department of Railway Vehicle System Engineering, Korea National University of Transportation) ;
- Lee, Byung-Song (Advanced Traction and Noncontact System Research Team, Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- Received : 2012.11.13
- Accepted : 2013.03.04
- Published : 2013.04.28
In this paper, research on the thermal analysis method is reported for the characterization of heat generation while operating an Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor (IPMSM) for railway vehicles. Efficient cooling of the heat generated in the IPMSM is important because the excessive heat generated from the winding, core and permanent magnets increases the difficulty of continuously operating an IPMSM over long time periods. Therefore, in this study, in order to analyze the heat generation characteristics of the IPMSM for advanced research in the application of IPMSMs to cooling devices, the heat transfer coefficients for each component of the IPMSM were derived and the thermal equivalent circuit was configured to perform thermal analyses. Finally, the validation of the suggested thermal analysis method was performed through comparison with the heat experimental data of an IPMSM prototype.
- C.B Park, H.W. Lee, B. S. Lee (2012) A study on the reduction of the stator iron loss on Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor for light railway transit propulsion system, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 15(4), pp. 376-380. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2012.15.4.376
- J.W. Lim, J.H. Seo, S.Y. Lee, H.K. Jung (2006) Thermal Network Analysis of Interior Permanent Magnet Machine, 2009 Spring Conference of the Korean Society for Railway, Gyeongju, pp. 527-532.
- S.M. Jang, J.C. Seo, H.W. Cho, Y.H. Jeong (2004) Analysis of thermal distribution for permanent magnet high speed motor, KIEE Summer Conference 2004, pp. 1073-1075.
- J.H. Seo (2010) Thermal analysis and optimal design of Interior Permanent Magnet Motor for Vehicle Application, PhD Thesis, Seoul University.
- Y.S. Lee, S.Y. H (1998) Thermal analysis technology of electric motors : Part 1, Proceedings of KIEE, 48(9), pp. 12-17.
- C, Gazley, JR. (1958) Heat-transfer characteristics of the rotational and axial flow between concentric cylinders, Transaction of the ASME, pp. 79-90.
- K.C. Jang, D.J. Bang, D.H. Kang (1998) Thermal analysis technology of electric motors : Part 2, Proceedings of KIEE, 48(9), pp. 25-31.
- Y.S. Lee (1998) Thermal analysis of Induction Motor with Axial Cooling Channels in Stator and Rotor, PhD Thesis, Seoul National University.
- A Study on the Water-cooling Jacket Design of IPMSM for Railway Vehicles vol.62, pp.10, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2013.62.10.1475
- Thermal Characteristic Analysis of IPMSM for Traction Considering a Driving Pattern of Urban Railway Vehicles vol.63, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2014.63.3.431
- A Study on the Thermal Characteristics of 110kW-class IPMSM for Light Railway Transit using the 3-Dimensional Thermal Equivalent Network considering Heat Source by Iron Loss Density Distributions vol.62, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2013.62.7.1038
- Thermal Analysis of IPMSM with Water Cooling Jacket for Railway Vehicles vol.9, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.3.882
- A Study on the Thermal Characteristics of the 210 kW-class IPMSM for Urban Railway Vehicles with the Water-Cooling Jacket Shape vol.14, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42835-018-00067-9