- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on In-wheel Motor Control to Improve Vehicle Stability Using Human-in-the-Loop Simulation
- Ko, Sung-Yeon (School of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Ko, Ji-Weon (School of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Moon (X-By-Wire Engineering Team, Hyundai Mobis) ;
- Cheon, Jae-Seung (X-By-Wire Engineering Team, Hyundai Mobis) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Soo (School of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2013.01.21
- Published : 2013.07.20
In this study, an integrated motor control algorithm for an in-wheel electric vehicle is suggested. It consists of slip control that controls the in-wheel motor torque using the road friction coefficient and slip ratio; yaw rate control that controls the in-wheel motor torque according to the road friction coefficient and the yaw rate error; and velocity control that controls the vehicle velocity by a weight factor based on the road friction coefficient and the yaw rate error. A co-simulator was developed, which combined the vehicle performance simulator based on MATLAB/Simulink and the vehicle model of CarSim. Based on the co-simulator, a human-in-the-loop simulation environment was constructed, in which a driver can directly control the steering wheel, the accelerator pedal, and the brake pedal in real time. The performance of the integrated motor control algorithm for the in-wheel electric vehicle was evaluated through human-in-the-loop simulations.
- T. Lee and D. Kim, "Technical Trend of In-Wheel System," KSAE Journal of the Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 21-25, 2009.
- S. Kim, J. Jeom, and J. Cheon, "The Future of Brake Systems," KSAE Journal of the Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, Vol. 26 No. 5 (WN.132), pp. 3-10, 2004.
- J. Song, H. Kim, and B. Kim, "Vehicle longitudinal and lateral stability enhancement using a TCS and yaw motion controller," International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 49-57, 2007.
- Y. Hori, "Future vehicle driven by electricity and control-research on four-wheel-motored 'UOT electric march II'," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 51, No. 5, pp. 954-962, Oct. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.834944
- S. Sakai, H. Sado, and Y. Hori "Motion control in an electric vehicle with 4-independently driven in-wheel motors," IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatron., Vol. 4, No.1, pp. 9-16, Mar. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/3516.752079
- Y. Hori, Y. Toyoda, and Y. Tsuruoka, "Traction control of electric vehicle : basic experimental results using the test EV 'UOT Electric March'," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 1131-1138, Sep./Oct. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.720454
- X. Liu, L. Li, and Y. Hori, "Optimal traction control for ev utilizing fast torque response of electric motor," Industrial Electronics Society, 2005. IECON 2005. 31st Annual Conference of IEEE, pp. 2614-2619, 2005.
- M. Kamachi and K. Walters, "A research of Direct Yaw-Moment Control on Slippery road for in-wheel motor vehicle," EVS22, pp. 2122--2133, 2006.
- S. Sakai, H. Sado, and Y. Hori, "Motion control in an electric vehicle with four independently driven in-wheel motors," IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatron., Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 9-16, Mar. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/3516.752079
- D. Kim, S. Hwang, and H. Kim, "Vehicle stability enhancement of four-wheel-drive hybrid electric vehicle using rear motor control," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 57, No. 2, pp. 727-735, Mar. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2007.907016
- F. Tahami, R. Kazemi, and S. Farhanghi, "A novel driver assist stablity system for all-wheel-drive electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 52, No. 3, pp. 682-692, May 2003.
- A. Nasri, A. Hazzab, and I.K Bousserhane, "Fuzzy logic speed control stability improvement of lightweight electric vehicle drive," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 129-139, Jan. 2010. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.1.129
- J. Kim, C. Park, S. Hwang, Y. Hori, and H. Kim, "Control algorithm for an independent motor-drive vehicle," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 59, No. 7, pp. 3213-3222, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2010.2053566
- C. Geng, L. Mostefai, M. Denai, and Y. Hori, "Direct yaw-moment control of an in-wheel_motored electric vehicle based on body slip angle fuzzy observer," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 5, pp. 1411-1419, May 2009.
- Y. Nakao, H. Kawasaki, and D. J.Major, "Estimation of friction levels between tire and road," SAE World Congress Detroit, 2002.
- J. Wang, L. Alexander, and R. Rajamani, "Friction estimation on highway vehicles using longitudinal measurements," Journal of Dynamic, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 126, 2004.
- J. Lee, S. Jung, S. Heo, H. Choi, H. Kim, K. Noh, I. Park, and J. Kim, "Improvement of road friction estimation using full vehicle model," KSAE10-B0128, 2010.
- S. Ko, J. Ko, J. Kim, S. Lee, J. Cheon, and H. Kim, "Development of road friction estimation and TCS control algorithm for in-wheel independent drive vehicle," KSAE11-A0172, 2011.
- N. Mutoh, O. Nishida, and T. Takayanagi, "Driving torque distribution method for front-andrear- wheel-independent-drive-type electric vehicles (FRID EVs) at the time of cornering," EVS-25, 2010.
- A study on the road friction coefficient estimation and motor torque control for an in-wheel electric vehicle vol.229, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954407014547750
- Cooperative control of the motor and the electric booster brake to improve the stability of an in-wheel electric vehicle vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-016-0046-5