- Volume 37 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Small-Sized Variable Stiffness Actuator Module Based on Adjustable Moment Arm
가변 모멘트 암 기반의 소형 가변 강성 액추에이터 모듈
- Yu, Hong-Seon (Dept. of Mechatronics, Korea Univ.) ;
- Song, Jae-Bok (School of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.)
- Received : 2012.12.28
- Accepted : 2013.08.21
- Published : 2013.10.01
In recent years, variable stiffness actuation has attracted much attention because interaction between a robot and the environment is increasingly required for various robot tasks. Several variable stiffness actuators (VSAs) have been developed; however, they find limited applications owing to their size and weight. For realizing their widespread use, we developed a compact and lightweight mini-VSA. The mini-VSA consists of a control module based on an adjustable moment arm mechanism and a drive module with two motors. By controlling the relative motion of cams in the control module, the position and stiffness can be simultaneously controlled. Experimental results are presented to show its ability to change stiffness.
Supported by : 산업통상자원부
- Tonietti, G., Schiavi, R. and Bicchi, A., 2006, "Optimal Mechanical/Control Design for Safe and Fast Robotics," Experimental Robotics IX: The 9th International Symposium on Experimental Robotics, volume 21, pp. 311-320.
- Wolf, S. and Hirzinger, G., 2008, "A New Variable Stiffness Design: Matching Requirements of the Next Robot Generation," IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp.1741-1746.
- Pratt, G. A. and Williamson, M. M., 1995, "Series Elastic Actuators," IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 399-406.
- Zinn, M., Khatib, O., Roth, B. and Salisbury, J. K., 2004, "Playing It Safe - A New Actuation Concept for Human-Friendly Robot Design," IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Vol. 11, pp. 12-21.
- Hogan, N. and Buerger, S. P., 2005, "Impedance and Interaction Control," Robotics and Automation Handbook, New York, NY: CRC Press.
- Vanderborght, B., Tsagarakis, N., Semini, C., van Ham, R. and Caldwell, D., 2009, "MACCEPA 2.0: Adjustable Compliant Actuator with Stiffening Characteristic for Energy Efficient Hopping," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp.544-549.
- Schiavi, R., Grioli, G., Sen, S. and Bicchi, A., 2008 , "VSA-II: A Novel Prototype of Variable Stiffness Actuator for Safe and Performing Robots Interacting with Humans," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp.2171-2176.
- Choi, J., Hong, S., Lee, W., Kang, S. and Kim, M., 2011, "A Robot Joint with Variable Stiffness Using Leaf Springs," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 229-238. https://doi.org/10.1109/TRO.2010.2100450
- Kim, B. S. and Song, J. B., 2012, "Design and Control of a Variable Stiffness Actuator Based on Adjustable Moment Arm," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol. 99, pp. 1-7.
- Jafari, A., Tsagarakis, N., Vanderborght, B. and Caldwell, D., 2010, "A Novel Actuator with Adjustable Stiffness (AwAS)," in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp.4201-4206.
- Jafari, A., Tsagarakis, N., Vanderborght, B. and Caldwell, D., 2011, "AwAS-II: A New Actuator with Adjustable Stiffness Based on the Novel Principle of Adaptable Pivot Point and Variable Lever Ratio," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp.4638-4643.
- Groothuis, S. S., Rusticelli, G., Zucchelli, A., Stramigioli, S. and Carloni, R., 2012, "The vsaUT-II: a Novel Rotational Variable Stiffness Actuator," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp.3355-3360.