- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Quality and characteristics of ginseng seed oil treated using different extraction methods
- Lee, Myung-Hee (Processing Technology Research Group, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Sung-Soo (Processing Technology Research Group, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Cho, Chang-Won (Processing Technology Research Group, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Choi, Sang-Yoon (Processing Technology Research Group, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- In, Gyo (Korea Ginseng Corporation Research Institute, Korea Ginseng Corporation) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Tack (Processing Technology Research Group, Korea Food Research Institute)
- Received : 2013.03.08
- Accepted : 2013.06.04
- Published : 2013.10.15
Ginseng seed oil was prepared using compressed, solvent, and supercritical fluid extraction methods of ginseng seeds, and the extraction yield, color, phenolic compounds, fatty acid contents, and phytosterol contents of the ginseng seed oil were analyzed. Yields were different depending on the roasting pretreatment and extraction method. Among the extraction methods, the yield of ginseng seed oil from supercritical fluid extraction under the conditions of 500 bar and
- Jeon JM, Choi SK, Kim YJ, Jang SJ, Cheon JW, Lee HS. Antioxidant and antiaging effect of ginseng berry extract fermented by lactic acid bacteria. J Soc Cosmet Sci Korea 2011;37:75-81.
- Choi JE, Li X, Han YH, Lee KT. Changes of saponin contents of leaves, stems and flower-buds of Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer by harvesting days. Korean J Med Crop Sci 2009;17:251-256.
- Shin JY, Lee JM, Shin HS, Park SY, Yang JE, Cho SK, Yi TH. Anti-cancer effect of ginsenoside F2 against glioblastoma multiforme in xenograft model in SD rats. J Ginseng Res 2012;36:86-92. https://doi.org/10.5142/jgr.2012.36.1.86
- Jeon HK, Kim SG, Jung NP. Effects of ginseng saponin fraction and cyclophosphamide on the tumoricidal activity of mouse macrophage and the antitumor effect. Korean J Ginseng Sci 1991;15:99-105.
- Kim MJ, Jung NP. The effect of ginseng saponin on the mouse immune system. Korean J Ginseng Sci 1987; 11:130-135.
- Yuan HD, Quan HY, Jung MS, Kim SJ, Huang B, Kim do Y, Chung SH. Anti-diabetic effect of pectinase-processed ginseng radix (GINST) in high fat diet-fed ICR mice. J Ginseng Res 2011;35:308-314. https://doi.org/10.5142/jgr.2011.35.3.308
- Ko CN, Park SU, Chang GT, Jung WS, Moon SK, Park JM, Cho KH. Antihyperlipidemic and antioxidant effects of the mixture of ginseng radix and crataegi fructus: experimental study and preliminary clinical results. J Ginseng Res 2011;35:162-169. https://doi.org/10.5142/jgr.2011.35.2.162
- Lim SI, Cho CW, Choi UK, Kim YC. Antioxidant activity and ginsenoside pattern of fermented white ginseng. J Ginseng Res 2010;34:168-174. https://doi.org/10.5142/jgr.2010.34.3.168
- Kim JK, Kim BS, Park CW, Seo DB, Yoo HR, Lee SJ. Effect of ginseng-berry extract on the improvement of blood microcirculation and skin brightness. Korean J Orient Physiol Pathol 2010;24:85-90.
- Yeom MH, Lee JY, Kim JS, Park CW, Kim DH, Kim HK. The anti-aging effects of Korean ginseng berry in the skin. Korean J Pharmacogn 2010;41:26-30.
- Ko SK, Bae HM, Cho OS, Im BO, Chung SH, Lee BY. Analysis of ginsenoside composition of ginseng berry and seed. Food Sci Biotechnol 2008;17:1379-1382.
- Hu JN, Lee JH, Shin JA, Choi JE, Lee KT. Determination of ginsenosides content in Korean ginseng seeds and roots by high performance liquid chromatography. Food Sci Biotechnol 2008;17:430-433.
- Huang YG, Li XG, Cui SY, Yu WB, Kuang YL, Yan JK, Yang JX, Liu RS, Kim HS. Dynamic studies on physiology and biochemistry in American ginseng seed during stratification. Part II. Contents of soluble carbohydrate, crude fat, fatty acid and soluble protein. Korean J Ginseng Sci 1997;21:39-42.
- Kuo YH, Ikegami F, Lambein F. Neuroactive and other free amino acids in seed and young plants of Panax ginseng. Phytochemistry 2003;62:1087-1091. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(02)00658-1
- Zhu XM, Hu JN, Shin JA, Lee JH, Hong ST, Lee KT. Comparison of seed oil characteristics from Korean ginseng, Chinese ginseng (Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer) and American ginseng (Panax quinquefolium L.). J Food Sci Nutr 2010;15:275-281. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2010.15.4.275
- Proctor JT, Louttit D. Low-temperature storage of immature (green) North American ginseng seed for fall planting. J Ginseng Res 2006;30:78-81. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2006.30.2.078
- Beveridge TH, Li TS, Drover JC. Phytosterol content in American ginseng seed oil. J Agric Food Chem 2002;50:744-750. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf010701v
- Kim BK, Lim JH, Cho YS, Park KJ, Kim JC, Jeong JW, Jeong SW. Study on characteristics of cold-pressed sesame oil and virgin sesame oil. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 2008;18:812-821.
- Harman D. Dibenzanthracene-induced cancer: inhibition effect of dietary vitamin E. Clin Res 1969;17:125-129.
- McCay PB, Poyer JL, Pfeifer PM, May HE, Gilliam JM. A function for alpha-tocopherol: stabilization of the microsomal membrane from radical attack during TPNH- dependent oxidations. Lipids 1971;6:297-306. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02531819
- Piironen V, Lindsay DG, Miettinen TA, Toivo J, Lampi AM. Plant sterols: biosynthesis, biological function and their importance to human nutrition. J Sci Food Agric 2000;80:939-966. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(20000515)80:7<939::AID-JSFA644>3.0.CO;2-C
- Barnes P. Non saponificable lipids in cereals. In: Barnes P, ed. Lipids in cereal technology. New York: Academic Press, 1983. p.33-55.
- Gylling H, Miettinen TA. LDL cholesterol lowering by bile acid malabsorption during inhibited synthesis and absorption of cholesterol in hypercholesterolemic coronary subjects. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 2002;12:19-23.
- Mendilaharsu M, De Stefani E, Deneo-Pellegrini H, Carzoglio J, Ronco A. Phytosterols and risk of lung cancer: a case-control study in Uruguay. Lung Cancer 1998;21:37-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5002(98)00044-0
- Kim SL, Park KY, Lee YH, Ryu YH. Biological activities of phytosterols and their variations in crops. Korean J Crop Sci 2003;48:24-30.
- Horwitz W, Latimer GW. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 18th ed. Gaithersburg: AOAC International, 2005.
- Kim YC, Hong HD, Rho J, Cho CW, Rhee YK, Yim JH. Changes of phenolic acid contents and radical scavenging activities of ginseng according to steaming times. J Ginseng Res 2007;31:230-236. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2007.31.4.230
- Sung MH, Lyu HK, Lee SM, Lee KT. Studies on the content of triacylglycerol species, tocopherols, and phytosterols from the selected nuts. Korean J Food Preserv 2010;17:376-383.
- Bioactive Compounds and Stability of Organic and Conventional Vitis labrusca Grape Seed Oils vol.93, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-015-2742-0
- Fatty Acid Composition of Seeds From Wild and Cultivated Ginseng (Panax ginseng Meyer): Occurrence of a High Level of Petroselinic Acid vol.93, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-016-2864-z
- Protective Effects of Red Ginseng Oil against Aβ25–35-Induced Neuronal Apoptosis and Inflammation in PC12 Cells vol.18, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18102218
- Design of Green Processing Chain for Processing of Ginseng Fruit Vinegar vol.933, pp.1662-8985, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.933.988