- Volume 42 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Consumption of Processed Food and Personality of Middle School Students on Nutrition Education
영양교육이 중학생들의 가공식품 섭취 및 인성특성에 미치는 영향 비교
- Lee, Kyung-Ock (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University) ;
- Cho, Eun Ju (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2013.06.05
- Accepted : 2013.08.19
- Published : 2013.10.31
The aim of this study was to investigate effect of nutrition education methodology on consumption of processed food and personality of middle school students aged 14 to 16 years who live in Busan. We categorized questionnaire based on students' consumption of processed food and personality characteristics. Based on the above, we determined serum mineral level to validate the correlation between personal characteristics and quantifiable serum mineral level. Following adoption of a proper nutrient education methodology, we found that consumption of processed foods such as meat and meat products, frozen food, noodles, bread and snacks, and drink was significantly reduced. In addition, there were distinct changes in personality characteristics such as stability, governmentality, sociality, and responsibility that became markedly increased, whereas impulsiveness decreased. We found that these distinct nutrition- education-based changes were statistically significant, when compared before and after providing proper nutrition education. We interpret these results as group with low stability showed a high consumption of meat and meat products, noodles, bread and snacks, and drink, whereas group with high stability showed a high consumption of milk and dairy products. Similarly, we also found that group with low impulsiveness showed a high consumption of canned foods, whereas group with high impulsiveness showed a high consumption of meat and meat products, frozen food, noodles, bread and snacks. Our results indicated that serum Na after nutrition education decreased, whereas other minerals including Ca, Fe, Zn, Mg and K increased, when compared with before nutrition education procedure. This study suggests that nutrition education methodology and establishment of proper dietary educational programs keeping in view balanced dietary habits for middle school students would not only appear to make them get along with healthy dietary habits, but also change their personality characteristics.
부산에 거주하는 중학생 30명을 대상으로 영양교육이 가공식품 섭취빈도 및 인성특성에 미치는 영향을 조사하였다. 영양교육 후 육가공품류, 냉동식품류, 면류, 빵류 및 과자류와 음료류의 가공식품 섭취 빈도가 유의적으로 감소하였다. 또한 인성특성에서는 영양교육 전보다 영양교육 후 안정성, 지배성, 사회성과 책임성은 높아졌고 충동성은 낮아졌다. 특히 안정성이 높은 그룹에서 우유 및 유제품류의 섭취빈도가 높게 나타났으며, 안정성이 낮은 그룹에서는 육가공품류, 면류, 빵류 및 과자류, 음료류의 섭취빈도가 높게 나타났다. 충동성이 높은 그룹에서는 육가공품류, 냉동식품류, 면류, 빵류 및 과자류의 섭취빈도가 높은 것으로 나타났고, 충동성이 낮은 그룹에서는 통조림류의 섭취빈도가 높았다. 인성특성과 혈청 무기질의 상관관계에서는 Ca, Fe, Zn, Mg과 K의 경우 안정성, 지배성, 사회성, 책임성에서 양의 상관관계를 가졌으며, 충동성에서 음의 상관관계를 가지는 것으로 나타났다. 반면 Na은 안정성, 지배성, 사회성과 책임성에서 음의 상관관계를 가진 것으로 나타났고, 충동성에서 양의 상관관계를 가진 것으로 나타났다. 또한 혈청 무기질 농도와 인성특성 간의 관계를 살펴보기 위해 영양교육 전과 후 혈청 무기질 농도의 변화를 비교해 본 결과, Na의 농도는 감소하였고 Ca, Fe, Zn, Mg과 K의 농도는 증가하였다. Fe, Zn는 안정성, 지배성, 사회성, 책임성과 양의 상관관계를 가지며, 영양교육 후 농도는 증가하였다. 반면 Na은 충동성과 양의 상관관계를 가지며, 영양교육 후 농도는 감소하였다. 본 연구로 영양교육은 중학생들의 가공식품 섭취 빈도에 영향을 줄 뿐만 아니라 인성특성에도 긍정적인 변화를 줌을 확인할 수 있었다. 이로써 지속적인 영양교육을 실시하고 올바른 식습관이 유지될 수 있는 교육 프로그램을 개발한다면 청소년들의 건전한 식습관의 형성과 인성특성까지도 긍정적으로 변화시킬 수 있을 것으로 보인다.
- Choi JY, Lee SS. 2009. Relation between dietary habit and nutrition knowledge, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in the middle school students in Seoul. Korean J Nutr 42: 682-690. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.8.682
- Goh EK, Park ES. 2010. Intake of processed food and perceptions of food labeling in middle school students. Korean J Human Ecology 19: 179-189. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2010.19.1.179
- Song HJ, Choi SY. 2013. A study on intake and purchasing behavior of processed food among adolescents. Korean J Culinary Res 19: 230-243.
- Kang MH, Yoon KS. 2009. Elementary school students' amounts of sugar, sodium, and fats exposure through intake of processed food. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 52-61. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.1.052
- Hiroshi OSW. 2005. Grievances syndrome. Kugil media. Co., Gyeonggi-do, Korea. p 131.
- Park JG, Lee NR. 2012. Diet habit comparison and the effect of it on aggressiveness between delinquent youth and adolescent. J Korea Academic Society Tourism Management 27: 215-238.
- Seo HC. 2012. The relationship between children's eating habits, minerals, heavy metals content and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. J Brain Edu 10: 26-49.
- Yoo JE, You DR, Park GS. 2003. The dietary behavior and food preference according to personality types of high school students in Gyeongju. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 13: 371-378.
- Jung KA, Yoon J. 2012. A study on the relationship between dietary habits and food intake and impulsiveness and aggression in the 6th grade students of the elementary school in Chuncheon area. Korean J Culinary Res 18: 190-204.
- Park SS, Kim NY, Han MJ. 2008. Processed food preferences and food and nutrition labeling perceptions of middle school students. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 2: 164-173.
- Jung SA, Lee KA. 2007. Effects of a nutrition education program using children's books on elementary school students' food preferences and eating behavior. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 1161-1171. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.9.1161
- Yu OK, Rhee YK, Sohn HS, Cha YS. 2010. Effects of nutrition education on overweight and obese children in Chonbuk area－focus on food habit, eating behaviors, dietary attitude, nutrition knowledge and nutrients intake-. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1286-1294. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.9.1286
- Cha YS, Choi OS, Rho JO. 2008. A study on the purchase patterns of processed foods and perception of school dietitians on nutrition labeling in Chonbuk area of Korea. Korean J Food & Nutr 21: 87-96.
- Lee SR, Byun CJ, Jin WG. 1996. Standard personality diagnosis test for middle school students. Jung ang aptitude test publisher Co., Seoul, Korea. p 1-12.
- Lee SH, Kim JS, Kim JB, Cho SH, Lee YS, Cho JS, Kim SR, Lee YJ, Yoo NS, Kim HS. 2011. Technology and household management. Daehan Textbook, Seoul, Korea. Vol 1, p 58-75, Vol 2, p 40-55.
- Sung CJ. 2005. A comparative study of food habits and body satisfaction of middle school students according to clinical symptoms. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 202-208. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.2.202
- Kim SJ, Kim WJ, Jin SM. 2012. The yearly change of body composition for male and female by physical activity questionnaires (IPAQ). Korean J Physical Education 51: 367-376.
- Her ES, Lee KH, Bae EY, Lyu ES. 2008. Interrelations among beverage intake, food behavior and personality in adolescents. Korean J Community Nutr 13: 189-198.
- Kim HK, Kim JH. 2011. Comparison of life style, school achievement and snaking behaviors among underweight and overweight adolescents. Korean J Nutr 44: 131-139. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2011.44.2.131
- Kim HJ, Jung KA. 2010. A study on the development and the effect of dietary life education program about 'processed foods' for elementary school students. J Practical Arts Education 23: 267-294.
- Choi BG. 2011. A case study of art education for the personality therapy. Studies Humanities 30: 301-332.
- Kim YI. 2010. A study on relationship between food preferences and personality of university students. Korean J Community Living Sci 21: 5-12.
- Park SJ, Choi HM, Mo SM, Park MY. 2003. A study on practices of juvenile delinquents in Korea. Korean J Community Nutr 8: 512-525.
- Lyu ES, Chae IS, Lee KH. 2008. Interrelations among fast food, beverage intake and sociality, anger expression of adolescents in the Busan area. Korean J Community Nutr 13: 829-839.
- Lee HS. 2003. A study on the relationship between based on the 6th graders' dietary habits and characters. MS Thesis. Chuncheon National University of Education, Chuncheon, Korea.
- Simontacchi CR. 2007. The Crazy Makers. Jung-ang Books Co., Seoul, Korea. p 229.
- Preference and the Frequency of Processed Food Intake according to the Type of Residence of College Students in Korea vol.20, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2015.20.3.188
- Evaluation of nutrient intake and food variety by age in Korean adolescents: Based on 2010~2012 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey vol.48, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2015.48.3.236
- Recognition and Consumption of Meal Alone and Processed Food according to Major of College Students vol.29, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.6.911