- Volume 33 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Cost Performance for Delivery Methods on Public Construction Projects
공공 건설공사 발주방식에 따른 비용성과 비교연구
- Lee, Yoo Sub (Korea Institute of Construction Technology) ;
- Kang, Tai Kyung (Korea Institute of Construction Technology) ;
- Shin, Eun Young (Korea Institute of Construction Technology) ;
- Park, Wonyoung (Korea Institute of Construction Technology)
- Received : 2013.10.04
- Accepted : 2013.10.08
- Published : 2013.11.30
In the delivery systems for public construction works, design-build methods such as turn-key and alternative have contributed to improving the quality of structures and developing the construction technology. However, it is pointed out that construction based on a design-build method is likely to waste a budget due to its higher contract price than construction based on a design-bid-build method. Other issues such as contract monopoly, bid rigging and deliberation irregularity in design-build. Since there are not much works have been accomplished to comparatively analyze the actual performance and effect based on delivery methods, discussing and judging the performance and effect of each deliver method with limited information could lead to an error. Thus, this study by extensively investigates the actual project cost data, ranging from contract price to the construction cost of the public construction works and comparatively analyzed the characteristics of each delivery method about cost structure and fluctuation trend. This work is expected to assist stake-holders in properly understanding delivery systems for public construction works and promoting their efficient management.
Grant : BIM/GIS 플랫폼 기반 건설 프로젝트 관리 기술 개발, 건설공사 발주방식별 효과분석 및 기술제안입찰 활성화 연구
Supported by : 한국건설기술연구원
- ADOT (2011). A+B bidding guide, Arizona Department of Transportation.
- Carmichael, D. G. (2000). Contracts and international project management, A. A. BALKEMA, Univ. of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, pp. 7-11.
- CII. (2002). Measuring the impacts of the delivery system on project performance: Design-build and design-bid-build, NIST, U.S., Austin, TX.
- El Wardani, M. A., Messner, J. I. and Horman, M. J. (2006). "Comparing procurement methods for design build projects." J. Construc, Eng. Manage, Vol. 132, No. 3, pp. 230-238. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2006)132:3(230)
- James David Fernane. (2011). Comparison of design-build and design-bid-build performance of public university projects, Univ. of Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Koo, B. S. and Jang, H. S. (2009). "Evaluation on the impact of lowest bid contracts on site operations in times of sever economic downturn." Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Managemen, KICEM, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 146-153.
- Lee, B. N. and Lee, J. S. (2009). "Advanced ordering system construction plan." Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Managemen, KICEM, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 27-30.
- Lee, Y. S. (2005). "Turnkey system, alternatives, outcomes and tasks." Jounal of the Korean Society of civil Engineers, KSCE, Vol. 53, No. 10, pp. 77-91.
- Lee, Y. S. (2012). Construction delivery method enabled by effective analysis and research skills offered bids, KICT, MLTM (in Korean).
- Lee, Y. S., etc. (2012). Development of construction project management technology based on BIM/GIS platform, KICT (in Korean).
- Lee, Y. S. and Hwang, B. G. (2007). "Impacts of contract on construction project performance-cost reimbursable and lump sum." Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Managemen, KICEM, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 155-163 (in Korean).
- SAIC. (2006). Performance contracting framework fostered by highways for LIFE, U.S Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
- Seoul Metropolitan Government. (2000). Bidding for construction of large-scale impact of the research methods, Construction Engineering and Management (in Korean).
- William Quatman, G. (2007). Use of bridging consultants in designbuild, American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry.
- Yoo, J. H. and Choi, J. H. (2006). "The river water in emergency repair work utilizing KPI evaluation CM approach." Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Managemen, KICEM, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 18-22 (in Korean).
- Cost Performance Comparison of Project Delivery Methods in Public Sector - Focusing on Mediator Effect of Biddropping on Change Orders - vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2015.16.5.086