- Volume 40 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Validity Assessment of Self-reported Smoking Status: Results from the Korean National Environmental Health Survey (KoNEHS) 2009-2011
흡연상태에 관한 자가보고 설문의 타당도 평가: 제1기(2009-2011) 국민환경보건기초조사 자료 분석
- Choi, Wookhee (National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Park, Kyung Hwa (National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Kim, Hyun Jeong (National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Ryu, Jungmin (Saemangeum Regional Environmental Office) ;
- Yu, Seung Do (National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Choi, Kyunghee (National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Kim, Suejin (National Institute of Environmental Research)
- 최욱희 (국립환경과학원) ;
- 박경화 (국립환경과학원) ;
- 김현정 (국립환경과학원) ;
- 류정민 (새만금지방환경청) ;
- 유승도 (국립환경과학원) ;
- 최경희 (국립환경과학원) ;
- 김수진 (국립환경과학원)
- Received : 2014.12.04
- Accepted : 2014.10.28
- Published : 2014.12.31
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to assess the validity of self-reported cigarette smoking status and investigate factors associated with the accuracy self-reported and measured urinary cotinine in Korean adults. Methods: We used data from the
- Park CH, Yu SD. Status and Perspects of the Korean National Environmental Health Survey (KoNEHS). J Environ Health Sci. 2014; 40(1): 1-9. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.3407
- Caraballo RS1, Giovino GA, Pechacek TF, Mowery PD. Factors associated with discrepancies between self-reports on cigarette smoking and measured serum cotinine levels among persons aged 17 years or older: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994. Am J Epidemiol. 2001; 153(8): 807-14. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/153.8.807
- Wong SL1, Shields M, Leatherdale S, Malaison E, Hammond D. Assessment of validity of self-reported smoking status. Health Rep. 2012; 23(1): 47-53.
- Connor Gorber SL, Schofield-Hurwitz S, Hardt J, Levasseur G, Tremblay M. The accuracy of selfreported smoking: a systematic review of the relationship between self-reported and cotinine-assessed smoking status. Nicotine Tob Res. 2009; 11(1): 12-24. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntn010
- National Institute of Environmental Research. Press release: Most people, exposure to various chemicals widely. Available: http://www.nier.go.kr/NIER/EgovMovePage.do?linkPage=/kor/nf/nier-nf-03 [accessed 12 October 2014]
- Environmental Information Library. Integrated analysis of survey data for the 1st he Korean National Environmental Health Survey and national statistics calculation methods. Available: http://library.nier.go.kr/search/DetailView.ax?sid=1&cid=5557320 [accessed 20 October 2014]
- Heinrich-ramm R, Jakubowski M, Heinzow B, Molin Christensen J, Olsen E, Hertel O. Biological monitoring for exposure to volatile organic compounds (VOCs) (IUPAC Recommendations 2000). Pure Appl. Chem. 2000; 72(3): 385-436.
- St.Helen G, Goniewicz ML, Dempsey D, Wilson M, Jacob P, Benowitz NL. Exposure and Kinetics of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) in Cigarette Smokers. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 2012; 25(4): 952-964. https://doi.org/10.1021/tx300043k
- Kang YH, Lee YJ, Kim HK, Yun YH, Jeong SY, Lee JS, et al. Usefulness of urinary cotinine test to distinguish smokers from nonsmokers. Kor J Lab Med. 2003; 23: 92-97.
- Agaku IT, King BA. Validation of self-reported smokeless tobacco use by measurement of serum cotinine concentration among US adults. Am J Epidemiol. 2014; 180(7): 749-54. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwu182
- Lee SR, Lee CK, Im H, Yang W, Urm SH, Yu SD, et al. Secondhand smoke exposure and urine cotinine concentrations by occupation among Korean workers: results from the 2008 Korea National Survey for Environmental Pollutants in the Human Body. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2014; 11(5): 314-325. https://doi.org/10.1080/15459624.2013.863130
- Vartiainen E1, Seppala T, Lillsunde P, Puska P. Validation of self reported smoking by serum cotinine measurement in a community-based study. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2002; 56(3): 167-170. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.56.3.167
- Stragierowicz J, Miko ajewska K, Zawadzka-Stolarz M, Pola?ska K, Ligocka D. Estimation of cutoff values of cotinine in urine and saliva for pregnant women in Poland. Biomed Res Int. 2013; 2013: 386784.
- Patrick DL, Cheadle A, Thompson DC, Diehr P, Koepsell T, Kinne S. The validity of self-reported smoking: a review and meta-analysis. Am J Public Health. 1994; 84(7): 1086-1093. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.84.7.1086
- Statistics Korea. Standard Classification of Occupations (KSCO). Available: http://kssc.kostat.go.kr/ksscNew_web/index.jspKorean [accessed 15 September 2014]
- Yu SD, Park KH, Kim HJ, Lee YM. Mannual for Laboratory Procedures on The First Stage Korean National Environmental Health Survey (Organic compounds). 2012. p.18-29.
- SRNT Subcommittee on Biochemical Verification. Biochemical verification of tobacco use and cessation. Nicotine Tob Res. 2002; 4(2): 149-159. https://doi.org/10.1080/14622200210123581
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Prevalence of adult cigarette smoking. Available: http://www.nosmokeguide.or.kr/mbs/nosmokeguide/subview.jsp?id=nosmokeguide_010101000000 [accessed 10 November 2014]
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Reliability and validity of the Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey questionnaire. Osong: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Press; 2009.
- National Cancer Center. Press release: Increased incidence of non-smoking female lung cancer Available: http://ncc.re.kr/pr/notice_view.jsp?hPageNumber=2&hSelSearch=all&selSearch=all&txtKeyword=¤t_page=2&nws_id=1988 [accessed 12 November 2014]