- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Effect of the Beauty salon worker's emotional labor, job stress, job burnout and social support on turnover intention
미용실 종사자의 감정노동, 직무스트레스, 직무소진 및 사회적 지지가 이직의도에 미치는 영향
- Yoo, Eun-Ju (Dept. of Cosmetology, Kyungnam College of Information & Tecjnology) ;
- Shim, Sun-Nyu (Dept. of Beautyart, KyungBok University) ;
- Kim, Soon-Ku (Division of Design, Dongseo University)
- Received : 2014.10.06
- Accepted : 2014.11.20
- Published : 2014.12.28
This study analyzed the effects of job stress, job burnout, and social support on turnover intention for beauty salon workers in Busan. First, the younger, the higher levels of emotional labor; the younger, the lower education levels, the shorter career, and the lower position, the higher job stress and the higher job burnout; and the younger, the lower education levels, and the fewer days off, the higher turnover intention. Second, directors, designers and the staff had emotional labor, job stress, job burnout, and social support associated with turnover intention. Third, owners and designers had their turnover intention in general affected by emotional control, role stress, supervisor support, and colleague support and had their workplace-related turnover intention affected by emotional control, role stress, colleague support, and depersonalization, while the staff had their turnover intention in general and workplace-related turnover intention affected by supervisor support, colleague support, and depersonalization and had their job-related turnover intention affected by supervisor support.
- Hochschild, A. R., The managed heart: Commercialization of Human Feeling, Berkeley. University of California press. 1983.
- Hye-Yeon Joo, A study of the effects of cosmetologist job burnout on turnover behavior. Master's dissertation, International University of Korea. 2012.
- Hyo-Jin Park, A study on the Influence of the Emotional on the Employee Burnout in the Hotel Industry. Master's dissertation, Kyonggi University. 2002.
- Jun-Hee Myung, The Relation of the Social Support for Child Care Center Teacher with Job Stress and Perception on Professionalism. Master's dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University. 2006.
- Morris, J. A. & Feldman, D. C., The dimensions, Antecedents, and Consequences of Emotional Labor. Academy of Management Review, 21, pp. 986-1010, 1996.
- Hye-Young Lee, The Assssment of Beauty Artists' Work Positions and the Influence of Their Emotional Labor, Job and Socio-psychological Stress, and Fatigue on Their Musculoskeletal Disorders. Ph.D. dissertation, SeoKyeong University. 2011.
- Parker, D. E. & Decotiis, T. A., Organizational Determinant of Job Stress, Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 32, pp. 160-177, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(83)90145-9
- Currivan, D. B., The causal order of job satisfaction and organizational commitment in models of employee turnover. Human Resource Management Review, 2000.
- Babakus, E. & Yavas, U. & Ashill, N. J., The role of customer orientation as a moderator of the job demand-burnout-performance relationship: A surface-level trait perspective. Journal of Retailing, 2009.
- Shi-Gak Choo, A Study on the effects of Emotional Labor on Job Stress, Job Burnout and Turnover Intentions: A Study based on Call Center employees. Ph.D. dissertation, Hanyang University. 2013.
- Demerouti, E., Bakker, A., Machreiner, F. & Schaufeli, W, B., The job demands-resources model of burnout. Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 86, No. 3, 2001.
- Maslach, C., Schaufeli, W. B. & Leiter, M. P., Job burnout. Annual Review of Psychology, 52, pp. 397-422, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.52.1.397
- Singh J., Goolsby, R. & Rhoad, G. K., Behavioral and psychological consequences of boundary spanning burnout for customer service representatives. Journal of Marketing Research, pp. 558-569, 1994.
- Poong-Rim Yook, Influence of Emotional Labor, Intrinsic Nature, and Social Support on Exhaustion, Customer Orientation and Orientation Effectiveness: With Focus on Casino Employees. Ph.D. dissertation, Dongguk University. 2012.
- House, J. S., Work stress and social support, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley, Publishing co, 1981.
- Jin-Wook Lee, The Effects of Job Demand on Emotional Burnout and Job Non-Involvement: Focusing on the Moderating Effects of Personal Resources and Job Resources. Master's dissertation, Korea University. 2003.
- Babakus, E. & Yavas, U. & Ashill, N. J., Antecedents and consequences of salesperson burnout. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 2001.
- Yun-Jung Song, A Study on the effects of Emotional Hardship on Job Satisfaction and Turnover of Nurses. Master's dissertation, Catholic University of Korea. 2011.
- Young-Mi Oh, A Study on the Emotional Labor and Organizational Effectiveness of Nurses. Master's dissertation, Hanyang University. 2010.
- Yu-Jung Park, Analysis of Structure Model of Job Stress, Job Satisfaction, Emotional Labor and Turnover Intention of Employees in Beauty Industry. Master's dissertation, Youngsan University. 2013.
- S. H. Jung, S. N. Shim, E. J. Yoo, Emotional Labor and Psychosocial Stress Difference of Hairdressers in Beauty Shops Depending Vairables related to Third Jobs. The Society of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 357-354, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.2.347
- Myeong-Soo Jung, Effects of Sport and Leisure Leaders' satisfaction with their jobs and Organizationas on Turnover. Ph.D. dissertation, Keimyung University. 1999.
- Pan-Soo Kim, An Empirical Study on Nurse's Job Stress Upon Job Satisfaction and Leave Intend. Master's dissertation, Kunsan National University. 2003.
- J. Y. Lee, Y. C. Kim, A Study on the Relation of Job Stress and Turnover Interntion about the Employee of F&B. korea Academic Society of Tourism Management, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 217-241, 2002.
- I. S. Han, S. R. Yi, H. J. Gim, Y. E. Gwon, A Study of Teacher's Burnout of Day Care Center. The Korea Association of Child Care and Education, 10, pp. 97-130, 1997.
- Kyung-Sook Ko, A Study on Job Stress and Turnover Interntion of Employees in Beauty Salons. Ph.D. dissertation, Daegu Haany University. 2008.
- Pines, A. M., Aronson, E., and Kafry, D., Burnout From Tediumto Personal Growth. New York: A Division of macmillian Publishing Co, 1981.
- Seon-Soon Seo, The relations among the sense of teacher-efficacy, the social support, and the burnout in elementary school teachers. Master's dissertation, Kyung Hee University. 2007.
- Min-Joo Kim, Effects of the Hotel Employee's Emotional Labor upon the Job-related Attitudes. Korea Tourism Research Association, Vol 21, No. 2, pp. 129-141, 1998.
- In-Soon Kim, The Role of Self-Efficacy and Social Support in the Relationship between Emotional Labor and Burn out, Turn over Intention among Hospital Nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 515-526, 2009.
- Sung-Hee Kim, A Study on Organization Commitment and Turnover of Social Workers: Focus on the Community Welfare Centers. Master's dissertation, Ewha Womans University. 2000.
- Mu-Jin Yi, A Study on the Determinants of Stress Hairdresser. Master's dissertation, Kyung Hee University. 2001.
- Caren, B. F., B. Elizabeth, B. D. Dena, and S. Joseph, Sources of Social Support and Burnout, Job satisfaction and Productivity Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 7, No. 1, pp. 84-93, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-89188.8.131.52
- J. W. Ko, Y. H. Yeom, The Role of Social Support in the Relationsip between Job Stress and Job Satisfaction/Organizational. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 265-274, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.2.265
- Mi-Ra Kim, Early Childhood Teachers' Personal Behaviors and their Susceptabillty to Burnout form Institutional Characterictics; And Effect on Teacher Turnover. Master's dissertation, Kokkuk University. 2004.
- P. S. Yi, H. B. Lim, A Study on the Infuences of Stressful Events and Coping Behavior on Mental Health. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 57-64, 1980.
- Choe Gyu, Effects of Organizational Commitment on the Turnover of the Hairdressers. Master's dissertation, Wonkwang University. 2002.
- Young-Jin So, A Study of Beautician Stress by work condition in Chou Ju Area Beauty shop. The Korean Society of Cosmetology, Vol. 4, No. 1, p. 9, 1998.
- Mi-Youn Kwon, A Study on the Turnover of Hairdressers an Korea. Master's dissertation, Kyung Hee University. 2002.