- Volume 3 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Future Urban Transportation Technologies for Sustainability with an Emphasis on Growing Mega Cities: A Strategic Proposal on Introducing a New Micro Electric Vehicle Segment
- Honey, Emilio (Graduate School for Green Transportation, Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Hojin (Graduate School for Green Transportation, Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Suh, In-Soo (Graduate School for Green Transportation, Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology)
- Published : 2014.12.30
The current transportation regime is largely based on two alternatives: (1) fixed route public transit, and (2) private ownership of internal combustion engine (ICE) powered vehicles per households. This paper analyzes one possible transportation alternative, Micro Electric Vehicles or MEVs, and compares with the ICE vehicles in terms of social, economic and environmental benefits, especially emphasizing its environmental advantage over ICE vehicles for future sustainability. While some representative models of MEVs exist in a limited market capacity, but global technical standards are generally insufficient and non-homogenous across nations, which restricts the development of the proposed transportation sector. The focus of this paper is to analyze the characteristics and potential benefits of MEVs in economical and environmental perspectives, including development status and technical standards, with a particular focus in the E.U., the U.S., Japan, and Korea. Based on the data of analysis, this paper aims to derive and propose a cooperative and adaptive global policy framework designed to speed up adoption and expansion of the global MEV market, including passenger and utility vehicles. We propose MEV to be a new mobility segment in the global transportation market because of their advantage in environmental impact, sustainability, overall cost of ownership, and safety.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) (2004) Performance Based Codes and Standards. accessed Mar. 04, 2014, https://www.asme.org/shop/standards http://cstools.asme.org/csconnect/pdf/CommitteeFiles/13525.pdf
- Asia Development Bank (ADB) (2010) Sustainable Transport Initiative - Operational Plan.
- Brown, S., Pyke, D., and Steenhof, P. (2010) "Electric Vehicles: The Role and Importance of Standards in an Emerging Market," Energy Policy 38 (7): 3797-3806. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2010.02.059
- Burns, L. D. (2013) "Sustainable Mobility: A Vision of Our Transport Future," Nature 497(7448): 181-182. https://doi.org/10.1038/497181a
- Cahill, E., Taylor, B., and Sperling, D. (2013) "Low-Mass Urban Microcars for Emerging Market Megacities," Transportation Research Board 2394: 30-37. https://doi.org/10.3141/2394-04
- Calthorpe, P. (1993) "The Next American Metropolis: Ecology, Community, and the American Dream," New York, N.Y.: Princeton Architectural Press.
- Creutzig, F., Papson, A., Schipper, L., and Kammen, D. (2009) "Economic and Environmental Evaluation of Compressed- Air Cars," Environmental Research Letters 4(4): 044011(9pp). https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/4/4/044011
- European Parliament and Council (2013) "On the Approval and Market Surveillance of Two- or Three-Wheel Vehicles and Quadricycles," Official Journal of the European Union 56:52-128.
- European Union (2011) "Roadmap to a Single European Transport Area - Towards a Competitive and Resource Efficient Transport System," European Commission Staff.
- Ewing, R. (1999) Pedestrian- and Transit-Friendly Design: A Primer for Smart Growth, Washington D.C., Smart Growth Network.
- Faria, R., Moura, P., Delgado, J., and De Ailmeida, A. (2012) "A Sustainability Assessment of Electric Vehicles as a Personal Mobility System," Energy Conversion and Management 61:19-30 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2012.02.023
- Frei, P., Kaeser, R., Hafner, R., Schmid, M., Dragan, A., Wingeier, L., Muser, M., Niederer, P., and Walz, F. (1997) "Crashworthiness and Compatibility of Low Mass Vehicles in Collisions," SAE Technical Paper 970122. accessed Mar. 15, 2014. doi:10.4271/970122. https://doi.org/10.4271/970122
- General Motors (2014) Chevrolet Spark EV-2014. accessed Mar. 15, 2014. http://media.gm.com/
- Grimsrud, M., and El-Geneidy, A. (2014) "Transit to Eternal Youth: Lifecycle and Generational Trends in Greater Montreal Public Transport Mode Share," Transportation 41(1):1-19. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11116-013-9454-9
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) (2014) Low- and Medium-Speed Vehicles, accessed Mar. 15, 2014. http://www.iihs.org
- Kaeser, R., Walz, F. H., and Brunner, A. (1994) "Collision Safety of a Hard-Shell Low-Mass Vehicle," Accident Analysis and Prevention 26(3):399-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-4575(94)90014-0
- Korean Ministry of Environment (2013) Grants business process guidance for electric vehicles and construction of charging infrastructure.
- Krumm, J. (2012) "How People Use Their Vehicles: Statistics from the 2009 National Household Travel Survey," Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 2012 World Congress.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism - Japan (MLIT) (2012) Guidelines for the Introduction of Micro Mobility.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism - Japan (MLIT) (2013) The Micro Mobility and Future Development.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (1998) Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 49 CFR Part 571 Docket No. NHTSA 98-3949, Department of Transportation.
- OECD - IRTAD (2013) Road Safety Annual Report, International Transport Forum.
- OECD (2014) OECD Factbook 2013: Economic, Environmental and Social Statistics, accessed Mar. 15, 2014. http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/factbook-2013-en/
- Owen, W. (1976) Transportation for Cities: The Role of Federal Policy, Washington: Brookings Institution.
- Pasaoglu, G., Fiorello, D., Martino, A., Scarcella, G., Alemanno, A., Zubaryeva, A., and Thiel, C. (2012) "Driving and Parking Patterns of European Car Drivers - a Mobility Survey," JRC Scientific and Policy Reports no. EUR 25627 EN.
- Robertson, L., and Baher, S. (1974) "Motor Vehicle Sizes in 1440 Fatal Crashes," Accid. Anal. & Prev 8:167-175.
- Roos, D., and Alschuler, D. (1975) "Paratransit - Existing Issues and Future Directions," Transportation 4(4):335-350.
- Schrank, D., Eisele, B., and Lomax, T. (2012) 2012 Urban Mobility Report, Texas Transportation Institute.
- Shoup, D. (2005) The High Cost of Free Parking, Chicago, Planners Press, American Planning Association.
- Sparrow, F., and Whitford, R. (1984) "The Coming Mini Micro Car Crisis - Do We Need a New Definition," Transportation Research Part a-Policy and Practice 18(4):289-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/0191-2607(84)90168-7
- Sperling, D. (1994) "Prospects for Neighborhood Electric Vehicles," Transportation Research Record 1444.
- Suh, I., Hwang, K., Lee, M., and Kim, J. (2013) "In-Wheel Motor Application in a 4wd Electric Vehicle with Foldable Body Concept," Electric Machines & Drives Conference (IEMDC), 2013 IEEE International.
- Tesla Motors (2014) Model S - Specs, accessed Mar. 15, 2014. http://www.teslamotors.com/models/specs
- Tutuianu, M., Marotta, A., Steven, H., Ericsson, E., Haniu, T., Ichiwaka, N., and Ishii, H. (2014) "Development of a World-Wide Harmonized Light Duty Driving Test Cycle (WLTC)," No. UN/ECE/WP.29/GRPE/WLTP-IG (GRPE-68-03).
- Unger, N., Bond, T., Wang, J., Koch, D., Menon, S., Shindell, D., and Bauer, S. (2010) "Attribution of Climate Forcing to Economic Sectors," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107(8):3382-3387.
- United Nations Economic and Social Council (UN/ECE) (2013) Consolidated Resolution on the Construction of Vehicles (R.E.3). Revision 2 - Amendment 4, ECE/TRANS/WP.29/78/ Rev.2/Amend.4, United Nations.
- United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division (2011) World Urbanization Prospects: The 2011 Revision. accessed Mar. 14, 2014. http://esa.un.org/unup/
- Wang, R., and Yuan, Q. (2013) "Parking Practices and Policies under Rapid Motorization: The Case of China," Transport Policy 30:109-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tranpol.2013.08.006
- Wood, D. (1997) "Safety and the Car Size Effect: A Fundamental Explanation," Accident Analysis and Prevention 29(2): 139-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-4575(96)00067-X