- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quantitative Analysis of Feline Calicivirus Inactivation using Real-time RT-PCR
Real-time RT-PCR을 이용한 Feline Calicivirus 불활성화의 정량적 분석
- Jeong, Hye Mi (Dept. of Food Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Kwang Yup (Dept. of Food Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2013.09.03
- Accepted : 2014.02.25
- Published : 2014.03.30
Norovirus causes acute gastroenteritis in all age groups and its food poisoning outbreaks are rapidly increasing in Korea. Reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) is most widely used for the rapid detection of foodborne viruses due to high sensitivity. However, the false positive results of RT-PCR obtained against already inactivated viruses could be a serious drawbacks in food safety area. In this study, we investigated a method to yield true positive RT-PCR results only with alive viruses. To decompose the RNA genes from dead viruses, the enzymatic treatments composed of proteinse K and Ribonuclease A were applied to the sanitized and inactivated virus particles. Another aim of this study was to quantify the efficiencies of several major sanitizing treatments using real-time RT-PCR. Feline calicivirus (FCV) that belongs to the same Caliciviridae family with norovirus was used as a surrogate model for norovirus. The initial level of virus in control suspension was approximately
본 연구에서는 FCV 현탁액에 물리, 화학적 위생처리 후 복합효소처리라는 전처리과정을 적용한 뒤 real-time RT-PCR법을 이용하여 살균효능을 분석하였다. RT-PCR 이전에
Supported by : 충북대학교
- Dean O Cliver and Hans P Riemann: Foodborne Deseases. 2nd Ed. Academin press. San Diego. Califronia. USA. pp. 161-175 (2002).
- Woo, G.J., Hwang, I.G., Kwak, H.S., Kim, M.G., Park, J.S., Lee, G.Y. and Koh, Y.H.: Apply of detection method and evaluation for foodborne virus. The Annual Report of KFDA, 8-1, 569-575 (2004).
- Jung, W.Y., Eom, J.H., Kim, B.J., Yun, M.H., Ju, I.S., Kim, C.S., Kim, M.R., Byun, J.A., Park, Y.G., Son, S.H., Lee, E.M., Jung, R.S., Na, M.A., Yuk, D.Y., Gang, J.Y. and H대, O.S.: Investigation of norovirus occurrence and influence of environmental factors in food service institiutions of chungcheong area. J. Fd Hyg. Safety, 25, 153-161 (2010).
- Sarbelio M, Espinosa M, Farkas T, Jiang X.: Human caliciviruses and pediatric gastoenteritis. Semin. Pediatr. Infect. Dis, 15, 237-245 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1053/j.spid.2004.07.004
- Koopmans M, Durzer E.: Foodborne viruses: An emerging problem. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 90, 23-41 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(03)00169-7
- Blackburn, B. G., G. F. Craun, J. S. Yoder, V. Hill, R. L. Calderon, N. Chen, S. H. Lee, D. A. Levy, and M. J. Beach.: Surveillance for waterborne-disease outbreaks associated with drinking water-United States. MMWR Surveillance Summaries, 53, 23-45 (2004).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Present Condition of Foodborne. Available at: http://www.mfds.go.kr
- Lee, S.Y., Jang, K.I., Woo, G.J., Kwak, H.S. and Kim, K.Y.: Development of protocol for the effective detection of feline calicivirus as norovirus surrogate in oyster and lettuce. KOREAN J. FOOD SCI. TECHNOL, 39, 71-76 (2007).
- Cho, M.G., Jeong, H.M., Ahn, J.B. and Kim, K.Y.: Detection of feline calicivirus as norovirus surrogate in food and water sources using filtration and real-time RT-PCR. Food Sci. Biotechnol, 20, 1475-1480 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-011-0204-5
- Nuanualsuwan S., Mariam T., Himathongkham S., and Cliver D. O.:. Ultraviolet inactivation of feline calicivirus, human enteric viruses and coliphages. Photochemistry and phtobiology, 76, 406-410 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1562/0031-8655(2002)0760406UIOFCH2.0.CO2
- Hewitt J., Rivera-Aban M., and Greening G. E.: Evalution of murine norovirus as a surrogate human norovirus and hepatitis A virus in heat inactivation studies. Journal of Applied microbiology. 107, 65-71 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2009.04179.x
- Shin, G.A. and Mark D. Sobsey.: Inactivation of norovirus by chlorine disinfection of water. water research 42, 4562-4568 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2008.08.001
- Malik, Maherchandani, and Goyal.: Comparative efficacy of ethanol and isopropanol against feline calicivirus, a norovirus surrogate. Association for professionals in infection control and epidemiology. 34, 31-35 (2006).
- Lee J. H.: Real-time PCR in the viral hepatitis. Korean Society of Gastroenterolohy. 2, 198-206 (2003).
- Yang C, Jinag Y, Huang K, Zhu C, Yin Y.: Application of real-time PCR for quantitative detection of Campylobacter jejuni in poultry, milk, and environmental water. FEMS Immunol Med Mic. 38, 265-271(2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0928-8244(03)00168-8
- Manish M. Patel, Aron J. Halla, Jan Vinje, and Umesh D.: Parashara. Noroviruses: A comprehensive review. Journal of Clinical Virology 44, 1-8 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcv.2008.10.009
- Suphachai Nuanualsuwan and Dean O. Cliver.: Pretreatment to avoid positive RT-PCR result with inactivatied viruses. Journal of Virological Methods. 104, 217-225 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-0934(02)00089-7
- Kim, K.R., Kim, Y.M., Lee, E.W., Lee, D.S., Lee, M.S.: Screening of antiviral activity from natural plants against feline calicivirus. Journal of Life Science, 19, 928-933 (2009). https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.7.928
- Duizer, E., K. J. Schwab, F. H. Neill, R. L. Atmar, M. P. G. Koopman, and M. K. Estes.: Laboratory efforts to cultivate noroviruses. J. Gen. Virol. 85, 79-87 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1099/vir.0.19478-0
- Clarke I. N., Lambden P. R., and Caul E. O.: Human enteric RNA viruses: caliciviruses and astroviruses. In: Mahy BWJ, Collier L, eds. Topley and Wilson's microbiology and microbial infections. London: Arnold, 511-535 (1998).
- Koopmans M. and Durzer E.: Foodborne viruses: an emerging problem. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 90, 23-41 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(03)00169-7
- Park, K.J., Ha, H.C., Kim, H.S., Chiba, K., Yeo, I.H. and Lee, S.Y.: The neuroprotective and neurotrophic effects of korean gardenia(Gardenia jasminoides ellis) in PC12h cells. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 15, 735-738 (2006).
- Chi, H.Y., Lee, C.H., Kim, K.H., Kim, S.I. and Chung, I.M.: Induction of apoptotic cell death by red pericarp rice(Jakwangchalbyeo) extracts. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 15, 534-542 (2006).
- Kang, J.O.: Quantitation of virus. Korean J Clin Microbiol, 4, 1-4 (2001).
- Bidawid, S., Malika, N., Adegbunrinb, O., Sattarb, S.A. and Farber, J.M.: A feline kidney cell line-based plaque assay for feline calicivirus, a surrogate for norwalk virus. J Virol. Method. 107, 163-167 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-0934(02)00214-8
- Wutzler P. and Sauerbrei A.: Virucidal efficacy of a combination of 0.2% peracetic acid and 80% (v/v) ethanol (PAAethanol) as a potential hand disinfectant. Journal of Hospital infection. 46, 304-308 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1053/jhin.2000.0850
- Guerreiro-Tanomaru J. M., Morqental R. D., Faria-Junior N. B., Berbert F. L., and Tanomaru-Filho M.: Antibacterial effectiveness of peracetic acid and conventional endodontic irrigants. Braz Dent J. 22, 285-287 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-64402011000400004
- Suphachai Nuanualsuwan and Dean O. Cliver.: Capsid Functions of Inactivated Human Picornaviruses and Feline Calicivirus. Applied and environmental micobiology. 69, 350-357 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.69.1.350-357.2003
- Bidavid S., Farber J.M., Sattar S.A.: Rapid concentration and detection of hepatitis A virus from lettuce and strawberry. J. Virol. Methods. 88, 175-185 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-0934(00)00186-5
- Sykes J.E., Allen J.L., Studdert P., and Browning G.F.: Detection of feline calicivirus, feline herpesvirus I and Chlamydia psittaci mucosal swabs by multiplex RT-PCR/PCR. Vet. Microbiol. 81, 95-108 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1135(01)00340-6
- Abd-Eldaim M. M., Wilkes R. P., Thomas K. V., and Kennedy M. A.: Development and validation of a Taqman real-time reverse transcription-PCR for rapid eetection of feline calicivirus. Arch. Virol. 154, 555-560 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-009-0337-5
- Kim, H.I., Jeon, D.H., Yoon, H.J., Choi, H.C., Eom, M.O., Sung, J.H., Park, N.Y., Won, S.A., Lim, N.Y. and Lee, Y.J.: Evaluation of the efficacy of sanitizers on food contact surface using a surface test method. J Fd Hyg Safety. 23, 291-296 (2008).