- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Maximal Tongue and Lip Strength and Tongue Endurance Scores According to Age and Gender in Healthy Korean Adults
세대 및 성별에 따른 한국인의 최대 혀 및 입술 강도와 혀 지구력 측정치 특성
- 송윤경 (동명대학교)
- Received : 2014.05.20
- Accepted : 2014.06.09
- Published : 2014.06.30
The purpose of this study was to (1) establish a Korean adult normative data for Iowa Oral Performance Instrument, (2) investigate the characteristics of maximal tongue and lip strength and tongue endurance scores according to age and gender, and (3) examine the correlation of those scores. The results showed that there were no significant differences of gender in maximal tongue strength and tongue endurance scores. But there were significant differences of age in maximal tongue and lip strength and tongue endurance scores. The data will provide an important database for speech language pathology with the purpose of diagnosis and treatment of tongue and lip dysfunction.
- Lass, N. J. (1996). Principals of experimental phonetics St. Louis: Mosby-Year Book.
- Sim, H. S. (2001). Speech motor control approaches to speech disorders: A critique of the literature. Korean Journal of Special Education, 35(4), 121-141. (심현섭 (2001). 말장애 연구의 동향에 관한 고찰: 말 운동 제모델을 중심으로. 특수교육학연구, 35(4), 121-141.)
- Choe, J.Y., Han, J. S. (1998). Diadochokinetic rate of normal childresn and adults: A preliminary study. Korean Journal of Communication Disorders, 3, 183-193. (최정윤, 한진순 (1998). 정상아동과 성인의 교대운동 속도에 관한 연구. 언어청각장애연구, 3, 183-193.)
- Song, Y. K., Sim, H. S. (2008). Compensation ability in speech motor control in children with and without articulation disorders. Speech Sciences, Vol. 15, No. 3, 183-201. (송윤경, 심현섭 (2008). 조음장애아동과 비장애아동의 말운동통제 보상능력 비교. 음성과학, 15(3), 183-201.)
- Kim, J. O. (2014). Korean adult normative data for the KayPENTAX Phonatory Aerodynamic System Model 6600. Journal of the Korean Society of Speech Sciences, 6(1), 105-117. (김재옥 (2014). KayPENTAX Phonatory Aerodynamic System Model 6600을 이용한 한국 성인의 공기역학적 변수들의 정상치. 말소리와 음성과학, 6(1), 105-117.) https://doi.org/10.13064/KSSS.2014.6.1.105
- Vitorino, J. (2010). Effect of age on tongue strength and endurance scores of healthy Portuguese speakers. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, Vol. 12, No. 3, 237-243. https://doi.org/10.3109/17549501003746160
- Clark, H. M., Solomon, N. P. (2012). Age and Sex Differences in Orofacial Strength. Dysphagia, Vol. 27, No. 1, 2-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-011-9328-2
- Vanderwegen, J., Guns, C., Van Nuffelen, G., Elen, R., De Bodt, M. (2013). The influence of age, sex, bulb position, visual feedback, and the order of testing on maximum anterior and posterior tongue strength and endurance in healthy Belgian adults. Dysphagia, Vol. 28, No. 2, 159-166. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-012-9425-x
- Robin, D. A., Goel, A, Somodi, L. B., Luschei, E. S. (1992). Tongue strength and endurance: Relation to highly skilled movements. Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, Vol. 35, No. 6, 1239-1245. https://doi.org/10.1044/jshr.3506.1239
- Choi, Y. J., Sim, H. S. (2013). Relationship between the maximal tongue and lip strength and percentage of correct consonants and speech intelligibility in dysarthric adults with cerebral palsy. Journal of the Korean Society of Speech Sciences, 5(2), 11-22. (최여진, 심현섭 (2013). 뇌성마비로 인한 마비말장애 성인의 최대 혀 및 입술 강도와 자음정확도 및 말명료도의 관계. 말소리와 음성과학, 5(2), 11-22.) https://doi.org/10.13064/KSSS.2013.5.2.011
- Lee, K. H., Sim, H. S., Kim, H. H. (2005). Tongue strength, range of motion, and speech intelligibility in dysarthric speakers. Speech Sciences, Vol. 12, No. 2, 89-99. (이경하, 심현섭, 김향희 (2005). 마비말장애 환자의 혀의 강도, 운동범위와 말명료도에 관한 연구. 음성과학, 12(2), 89-99.)
- Dworkin, J. P. (1978). Influence of lingual muscular strength on articulatory proficiency. Clinical Otolaryngology, Vol. 4, 413-420.
- Kent, R., Kent, J., Rosenbek, J. (1987). Maximum performance of speech production. Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders, Vol. 52, 367-387. https://doi.org/10.1044/jshd.5204.367
- Lof, G. L. (2008). Controversies surrounding nonspeech oral motor exercises for childhood speech disorders. Seminars in Speech and Language, Vol. 29, 253-256.
- Kang, B. M., Kwon, H. C., Kim, H., Cho, Y. N. (2013). Effect of orofacial exercise on the swallowing function of stroke patients. The Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, 21(1), 57-69. (강보미, 권혁철, 김환, 조영남 (2013). 구강안면운동이 뇌졸중 환자의 연하기능과 구강안면근력에 미치는 영향. 대한작업치료학회지, 21(1), 57-69.)
- Gingrich, L. L., Stierwalt, J. A. G., Hageman, C. F., LaPointe, L. L. (2012). Lingual propulsive pressures across consistencies generated by the anteromedian and posteromedian tongue by healthy young adults. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, Vol. 55, No. 3, 960-972. https://doi.org/10.1044/1092-4388(2011/10-0357)
- Robbins, J., Gangnon, R. E., Theis, S. M., Kays, S. A., Hewiit, A. L., Hind, J. A. (2005). The effects of lingual exercise on swallowing in older adults. Journal of the Americal Geriatrics Society, Vol. 53, No. 9, 1483-1489. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2005.53467.x
- Yeates, E. M., Molfenter, S. M., Steele, C. M. (2008). Improvements in tongue strength and pressure-generation precision following a tongue pressure training protocol in older individuals with dysphagia: Three case reports. Clinical Interventions in Aging, Vol, 3, No. 4, 735-747. https://doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S3825
- Lazarus, C. L., Logemann, J. A., Pauloski, B. R., Rademaker, A. W., Larson, C. R., Mittal, B. B., Pierce, M. (2000). Swallowing and tongue function following treatment or oral and oropharyngeal cancer. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, Vol. 43, 1011-1023. https://doi.org/10.1044/jslhr.4304.1011
- Yoshikawa, M., Yoshida, M. ,Tsuga, K., Akagawa, Y., Groher, M. E. (2011). Comparison of three types of tongue pressure measurement devices. Dysphagia, Vol. 26, No. 3, 232-237. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-010-9291-3
- Adams, V., Mathisen, B., Baines, S., Lazarus, C., Callister, R. (2013). A systematic review and meta-analysis of measurements of tongue and hand strength and endurance using the Iowa Oral Performance Instrument(IOPI). Dysphagia, Vol. 28, No. 3, 350-369. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-013-9451-3
- Solomon, N. P., Clark, H. M., Makashay, M. J., Newman, L. A. (2008). Assessment of Orofacial Strength in Patients with Dysarthria. Journal of Medical Speech-Language Pathology, Vol. 16, No. 4, 251-258.
- The Korean Gerontological Society. (2002). Understanding of gerontology. Seoul: Daeyoung. (한국노년학회 (2002). 노년학의 이해. 서울: 대영문화사.)
- Solomon, N. P., Robin, D. A., Luschei, E. S. (2000). Strength, endurance, and stability of tongue and hand in Parkinson disease. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, Vol. 43, 256-267. https://doi.org/10.1044/jslhr.4301.256
- Clark, H. M., Henson, P..A., Barber, W..D., Stierwalt, J..A,.Sherrill, M.. (2003). Relationships among subjective and objective measures of tongue strength and oral phase swallowing impairments. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, Vol. 12, No. 1, 40-50. https://doi.org/10.1044/1058-0360(2003/051)
- Youmans, S. R., Stierwalt, J. A. G. (2006). Measures of tongue function related to normal swallowing. Dysphagia, Vol, 21, 102-111. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-006-9013-z
- IOPI Medical LLC (2011). IOPI user manual.
- Clark, H. M., O'Brien, K., Calleja, A.,Corrie, S. N. (2009). Effects of directional exercise on lingual strength. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, Vol. 52, No. 4, 1034-1047. https://doi.org/10.1044/1092-4388(2009/08-0062)
- Potter, N. L., Short, R. (2009). Maximal tongue strength in typically developing children and adolescents. Dysphagia, Vol. 24, No. 4, 391-397. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-009-9215-2
- Searl, J. ,Evitts, P., Davis, W. (2007). Articulatory contact pressure between the tongue and palate during normal speech production. Journal of Medical Speech-Language Pathology, Vol. 15, No. 3, 279-292.
- The Effects of Tongue Strength on Speech Production Skills in Children with Cerebral Palsy vol.23, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12963/csd.18558