- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Sporulation of Lysinibacillus sphaericus WJ-8 Isolated from Concrete Pavement and Response to Environmental Stresses
콘크리트 포장에서 분리한 Lysinibacillus sphaericus WJ-8의 포자 형성과 환경 스트레스 반응
- Han, Sang-Hyun (Department of Biological Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Kang, Chang-Ho (Department of Biological Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Shin, Yu Jin (Department of Biological Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Yeom, Woo Sung (Department of Civil Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Jeong, Jin Hoon (Department of Civil Engineering, Inha University) ;
- So, Jae-Seong (Department of Biological Engineering, Inha University)
- 한상현 (인하대학교 생물공학과) ;
- 강창호 (인하대학교 생물공학과) ;
- 신유진 (인하대학교 생물공학과) ;
- 염우성 (인하대학교 토목공학과) ;
- 정진훈 (인하대학교 토목공학과) ;
- 소재성 (인하대학교 생물공학과)
- Received : 2013.05.20
- Accepted : 2013.12.17
- Published : 2014.06.30
Calcite forming bacteria (CFB) have been received increasing attention as a novel and environmental friendly strategy for the healing of concrete crack. Among the CFB, spore forming bacteria were proposed to overcome concrete condition (high pH, hydration heat, deicer). In this study, Lysinibaclillus sphaericus WJ-8 (WJ-8) isolated from concrete pavement was characterized. The WJ-8 was able to precipitate calcite at 10 mg/mL. When observed by scanning electron microscopy, WJ-8 showed spore formation and maximum spore yield was approximately 97.9%. Also response of spores against various environment stresses was examined. Approximately 83~97% of spores maintained their survivability at each three conditions (
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Cho, Y. J. (2009) Concrete Technology at an the Era of Green Growth. Kor. Concr. Inst. 21: 22-27.
- Jonkers, H. M. (2007) Self healing concrete: a biological approach. In Self healing materials - An alternative approach to 20 centuries of materials science (ed. S. van der Zwaaag), pp. 195-204. Springer, the Netherlands.
- Van Tittelboom K., N. De Belie, W. De Muynck, and W. Verstraete. (2010) Use of bacteria to repair cracks in concrete. Cem. Conc. Res. 40: 157-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2009.08.025
- De Muynck, W., D. Debrouwer, N. De Belie, and W. Verstraete (2008) Bacterial carbonate precipitation improves the durability of cementitious materials. Cem. Concr. Res. 38: 1005-1014.
- Dick, J., W. De Windt, B. De Graef, H. Saveyn, P. Van der Meeren, N. De Belie, W. Verstraete (2006) Bio-deposition of a calcium carbonate layer on degraded limestone by Bacillus species. Biodegradation 17: 357-367. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10532-005-9006-x
- De Muynck, W., N. De Belie, and W. Verstraete (2010) Microbial carbonate precipitation in construction materials: A review. Ecol. Eng. 36: 118-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2009.02.006
- Nicholson, W. L., N. Munakata, G. Horneck, H. F. Melosh, and P. Setlow (2000) Resistance of Bacillus Endospores to Extreme Terrestrial and Extraterrestrial Environments. Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 64: 548-572. https://doi.org/10.1128/MMBR.64.3.548-572.2000
- Madigan, M. T., J. M. Martinko, and J. Parker (2003) Brock biology of microorganisms. 10th ed., pp. 95. Pearson Education, Inc.: Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA.
- Abel-Santos, E (editor) (2012) Bacterial Spores: Current Research and Applications. pp. 6. Caister Academic Press. Norfolk, UK.
- Chunxiang, Q., W. Jianyun, W. Ruixing, and C. Liang (2009) Corrosion protection of cement-based building materials by surface deposition of CaCO3 by Bacillus pasteurii. Mater. Sci. Eng. C. 29: 1273-1280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2008.10.025
Stocks-Fisher, S., J. K. Galinat, and S. S. Bang (1999) Microbiologica precipitation of
$CaCO_3$. Soil Biol. Biochem. 31: 1563-1571. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0038-0717(99)00082-6
- Sasaki, K., S. Jiaviriyaboonya, and P. L. Rogers (1998) Enhancement of sporulation and crystal toxin production by cornsteep liquor feeding during intermittent fed-batch culture of Bacillus sphaericus 2362. Biotechnol. Lett. 20: 165-168. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005332609136
- Gorospe, C. M., S. H. Han, S. G. Kim, J. Y. Park, C. H. Kang, J. H. Jeong, and J. S. So (2013) Effects of different calcium salts on calcium carbonate crystal formation by Sporosarcina pasteurii KCTC 3558. Biotechnol. Bioproc. Eng. 18: 903-908. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12257-013-0030-0
- Kim, S. J., J. H Jung, H. M. Tahk, S. Y Baek, and S. Y. Lee (2009) Effect of factors on the sporulation of Bacillus cereus and their thermal resistance. J. Food Hyg. Safety 24: 256-261.
Hopkins, G. R., S. S. French, and E. D. Brodie Jr (2013) Increased frequency and severity of developmental deformities in roughskinned newt (Taricha granulosa) embryos exposed to road deicing salts (NaCl &
$MgCl_2$). Environ. Poll. 173: 264-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2012.10.002
- Han, S. H., S. K. Kim, C. H. Kang, J. Y. Park, J. H. Jeong, and J. S. So (2012) Environmental Stress Response of Calcite Forming Bacteria Isolated from Concrete Pavement. Korean J. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 27: 268-272. https://doi.org/10.7841/ksbbj.2012.27.4.268
- Isolation of Calcite Forming Bacteria and Soil Bio-consolidation with Various Calcium Salts vol.32, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7841/ksbbj.2017.32.3.206