- Volume 28 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Hydrophilic Polymer on the Growth of Plants in the Extensive Green Roofs
저관리형 옥상녹화 식물생육을 위한 Hydrophilic polymer의 효용성
- Yang, Ji (Dept. of Green Technology Convergence, Konkuk University) ;
- Yoon, Yong-Han (Dept. of Forest Science, Graduate School, Konkuk University) ;
- Ju, Jin-Hee (Dept. of Forest Science, Graduate School, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2013.11.20
- Accepted : 2014.05.23
- Published : 2014.06.30
This study aimed to determine effects of the use of water-retention additive, hydrophilic polymer, for extensive green roofs on growth of Juniperus chinensis var. sargentii and Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald and Gold' for woody plants, and Carex kobomugi and Carex pumila for herbaceous plants. Five different contents of hydrophilic polymer including 0% (Control), 1.0%, 2.5%, 5.0%, and 10% (polymer: medium (w/w), dry weight basis) were added to each of the container filed with a 100 kg of growth medium. Ten of plants were transplanted in each of square container (
- Ahn, S.Y., B.S. An, S.J. Park, S.H. Kim and S.W. Lee(2011) Effect of cutting condition on rooting and early growth of a rare endemic Juniperus chinensis var. sargentii HENRY. Journal of Agreiculture & Lige Science, 45(4):73-80.
- Ali, L.K.M(2011) Significance of applied cellulose polymer and organic manure for ameliorating hydro-physico-chemical properties of sandy soil and maize yield. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Science, 5:23-35.
- Bang, K.J(2009) Groundcover Plants, JoeuGyeong, Paju.
- Blom, T.J. and B.D. Piott(1992) Preplant moisture content and compaction of peatwool using two irrigation techniques on potted chrysanthemums. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci., 117:220-223.
- Bousselot, J.M., J. Klett, and R. Koski(2011) Moisture content of extensive green roof substrate and growth response of 15 temperate plant species during dry down. HortScience, 46:518-522.
- Choi, J.M. and K.R. Min(2001) Effect of carriers on residue of wetting agent containing polyoxyethylene octylphenyl ether, initial wetting and water movement in container media. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol., 19:30. (in Korean with English abstract)( Abstr.)
- Choi, J.M., H.J. Wang, and J.S. Lee(2005) Effect of incorporation level of polyacrylic acid sodium salt on changes in physical properties of root media. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol., 23(4):481-487. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Choi, J.M. and B.W. Moon(2011) Impact of application rate of non-ionic surfactant mixture on initial wetting and water movement in root media and growth of hot pepper plug seedlings. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol., 29(1);16-22.
- Cottingham, K.L., B.L. Brown, and J.T. Lennon(2001) Biodiversity may regulate the temporal variability of ecological systems. Ecology Letters, 4:72-85. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1461-0248.2001.00189.x
- Dunnett, N.P. and N. Kingsbury(2004) Plating Green Roofs and Living Walls, Timber Press, Portland.
- Emilsson, T. and K. Rolf(2005) Comparison of establishment method for extensive green roofs in southern Sweden. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 3:103-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2004.07.001
- Erica, O., L. Jeremy, B. Brad, R.C. Reid, D. Hitesh, D. Nigel, G. Stuart, K. Manfred, K.Y.L. Karen and R. Bradley(2007) Green roofs as urban ecosystem: Ecological structures, functions, and services. Bioscience, 57:823-833. https://doi.org/10.1641/B571005
- Farrell, C., X.O. Ang and J.P. Rayner(2013) Water-retention additives increase plant available water in green roof substrates. Ecological Engineering, 52:112-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2012.12.098
- James, W.H(2008) 101 Shade-loving Plants, BBC Books, London.
- James B.K. and W.T. Louise(2011) Effects of disturbance and age of invasion on the impact of the invasive sand sedge, Carex kobomugi, on native dune plant populations in New Jersey's coastal dunes. Journal of Coastal Research, 27(1):182-193. https://doi.org/10.2112/JCOASTRES-D-10-00108.1
- Jang, J., Y.H. Kim and C.H. Oh(2010) 2010, Selecting suitable flora for extensive green roof system. Pro. Kor. Soc. Env. Eco. Con., 20(2):89-92. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Ju, J.H., J. Yang and Y.H. Yoon(2012) Utility of hydrophilic polymer for green technology development in green roofs using rainwater. J. Environ. Sci., 21(12):1469-1476. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Kim, E.G(2013) Halophytes of Korea. Econature, Seoul.
- Kim, H.J., S.L. Kang, S.B. Lee, I.K. Hong, and S.C. Kim(1998) A Study on swelling of high absorptive resin-polymer blends. Applied Chemistry, 2(2):596-599. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Kim, J.H. and S.R. Shim(2009) A vegetation characteristics of a cut-slope affected by seeding periods of the winter season. J. Korean Env. Res. Tech., 12:29-39.
- Kim, K.N. and S.H. Park(2011) Effect of high water-swelling polymer rate on seeding survival of major turfgrasses grown on soil organic amendment mixtures. J. Korean Env. Res. Tech., 14(2):21-32. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Ko, A.L. and E.H. Lee(2010) The change of flora and fauna on extensive rooftop green area. Kor. J. Env. Eco., 24(3):334-342. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Lake, J.C. and J.R. Leishman(2004) Invasion success of exotic plants in natural ecosystems: the role of disturbance, plant attributes, and freedom from berbivores. Biological Conservation, 117(2):215-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3207(03)00294-5
- Nagase, A., and N. Dunnett(2010) Drought tolerance in different vegetation types for extensive green roofs: effects of watering and diversity. Landscape and Urban Planning, 97(4):318-327. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2010.07.005
- No, Y.P., Y.T. Jung, G.S. Chung and Y.H. Kim(1987) Studies on the agricultural use of the water-swelling polymer. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert., 20(3):209-216. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Saiz, S., C. Kennedy, B. Bass and K. Bressnail(2006) Comparative life cycle assessment of standard and green roofs. Environ. Sci. Technol., 40:4312-4316. https://doi.org/10.1021/es0517522
- Shim, M.S., Y.J. Kim, D.S. Lee, Y.H. Kwon, S.S. Kim, and U.C. Kang(2011) Growth characteristics of several Carex L. plants planted on a green wall and roof. Journal of Bio-Environment Control, 20(2):162-168. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Silberbush, M., E. Adar and Y.D. Malach(1993) Use of a hydrophilic polymeron to improve water storage and availability to crops grown in sand dunes II. Cabbage irrigated by sprinkling with different salinities. Agric. Water Manage., 23(4): 315-327. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-3774(93)90043-A
- Taban, M., and N.S. Movahedi(2006) Effect of aquasorb and organic compost amendments on soil water retention and evaporation with different evaporation potentials and soil texture. Communication in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 37:13-14. https://doi.org/10.1080/00103620500403119
- Tilman D., C.L. Lehman, and K.T. Thomson(1997) Plant diversity and ecosystem productive: Theoretical considerations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, 94:185-186. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.94.1.185
- Wallace. A. and A.M. Abouzamzam(1986) Interactions of soil conditioner with other limitation factors to achieve high crop yields. Soil Sci., 141:343-345. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-198605000-00008
- Wang, Y.T. and L.T. Gregg(1990) Hydrophilic polymerons-their response to soil amendments and effect on properties of a soilless potting mix. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci., 115:943-948.
- Yoo, S.H, S.K. Kwun and H.M. Ro(1990) Effect of highly water absorbing polymer(K-sorb) on soil water retention. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert., 23:173-179. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Zeineldin, F. I., Aldakheel, Y. Y.(2006) Hydrogel polymer effects on available water capacity and percolation of sandy soil at Al-Hassa, Annual Conference, Edmonton, Canada.