- Serial No. 36
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Acting Style Between 2D Hand-drawn Animation and 3D Computer Animation : Focused on Expression of Emotion by Using Close-up
2D 핸드 드로운 애니메이션과 3D 컴퓨터 애니메이션에서의 액팅(acting) 스타일 비교 -클로즈-업을 이용한 감정표현을 중심으로-
- Received : 2014.08.10
- Accepted : 2014.09.05
- Published : 2014.09.30
Around the turn of 21st century, there has been a major technological shift in the animation industry. With development of reality-based computer graphics, major American animation studios replaced hand-drawn method with the new 3D computer graphics. Traditional animation was known for its simplified shapes such as circles and triangle that makes characters' movements distinctive from non-animated feature films. Computer-generated animation has largely replaced it, but is under continuous criticism that automated movements and reality-like graphics devaluate the aesthetics of animation. Although hand-drawn animation is still produced, 3D computer graphics have taken commercial lead and there has been many changes to acting of animated characters, which calls for detailed investigation. Firstly, the changes in acting of 3D characters can be traced from looking at human-like rigging method that mimics humanistic moving mechanism. Also, if hair and clothing was part of hand-drawn characters' acting, it has now been hidden inside mathematical simulation of 3D graphics, leaving only the body to be used in acting. Secondly, looking at "Stretch and Squash" method, which represents the distinctive movements of animation, through the lens of media, a paradox arises. Hand-drawn animation are produced frame-by-frame, and a subtle change would make animated frames shiver. This slight shivering acts as an aesthetic distinction of animated feature films, but can also require exaggerated movements to hide the shivering. On the contrary, acting of 3D animation make use of calculated movements that may seem exaggerated compared to human acting, but seem much more moderate and static compared to hand-drawn acting. Moreover, 3D computer graphics add the third dimension that allows more intuitive movements - maybe animators no longer need fine drawing skills; what they now need is directing skills to animate characters in 3D space intuitively. On the assumption that technological advancement and change of artistic expressionism are inseparable, this paper compares acting of 3D animation studio Pixar and classical drawing studio Disney to investigate character acting style and movements.
- 박성수, 디지털 영화의 미학, 문화과학사, 2001.
- 박문호, 뇌 생각의 출현 대칭, 대칭의 붕괴에서 의식까지, 휴머니스트, 2008.
- 유리 로트만, 유리 치비얀, 이현숙 역, 스크린과의 대화, 우물이 있는 집, 2010.
- 자크 오몽, 오정민 역, 이마주, 동문사, 2006.
- 메리 엘렌 오브라이언, 최상식 역, 영화연기, 연극과 인간, 2003.
- 토니 바, 이승구 외 역, 영화연기, 집문당, 2001.
- 제이 데이비드 볼터, 리처드 그루신, 이재현 역, 재매개, 커뮤니케이션북스, 2011.
- 메리 엘렌 오브라이언, 최상식 역, 카메라 연기의 테크닉과 역사, 연극과인간, 2003.
- 김용구, 영화연기에 있어서 세 가지 거리(distances)에 관한 소고, 한국영화교육학회지, 4권(2002).
- James Naremore, Acting in the Cinema, University of California Press, 1990.
- Richard Williams, The Animators's Survival Kit, Faber and Faber, 2002.
- Stephen Prince, Digital Visual Effects in Cinema -The Seduction of Reality-, Rutgers University Press, 2012.
- William Brown, "Beowulf: The Digital Monster Movie", Animation: An Interdisciplinary Journal, Vol. 4, No. 2 (2009).
- Jenna Ng, "Seeing Movement: On Motion Capture and James Cameron's Avatar", Animation: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 49, No.4, Summer 2010.
- Lisa Node, "No Longer Themselves?: Framing Digitally Enabled Posthumous"Performance", Cinema Journal, Vol. 7, No. 3, 2012.
- Pat Power, "Animated Expressions: Expressive Style in 3D Computer Graphic Narrative Animation", Animation, July 21, 2009.
- Teri Silvio, "Animation: The New Performance", Journal of Linguistic Anthropology, Volume 20, Issue 2, 2010. 09.
- Yacov Freedman, "Is it real... or is it motion capture: The battle to redefine animation in the age of digital performance", The Velvet Light Trap, Number 69, Spring 2012.
- <그랜드 부다페스트 호텔> (The Grand Budapest Hotel, 2014)
- <메리다와 마법사의 숲> (Brave, 2012)
- <아이언 자이언트> (The Iron Giant, 1999)
- <알라딘> (Aladdin, 1992)
- <혹성탈출: 진화의 시작> (Rise of the Planet of the Apes, 2011)