- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Image Blurring Estimation and Calibration with a Joint Transform Correlator
- Jeong, Man Ho (Department of Laser & Optical Information Engineering, Cheongju University)
- Received : 2014.06.30
- Accepted : 2014.08.18
- Published : 2014.10.25
The Joint Transform Correlator (JTC) has been the most suitable technique for real time optical pattern recognition and target tracking applications. This paper proposes a new application of the JTC system for an analysis of the blurring effect of the optical images caused by a defocused lens. We present the relation between the correlation peak, optical transfer function (OTF), and the amount of blurring caused by focusing error. Moreover, we show a possibility of calibrating the blurred image by simply measuring the correlation peak.
- M. Banham and A. Katsaggelos, "Digital image restoration," IEEE Signal Process. Mag. 14, 24-41 (1997).
- M. A. Kutay and H. M. Ozaktas, "Optimal image restoration with the fractional fourier transform," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 15, 825-833 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSAA.15.000825
- H.-Y. Lin and X.-H. Chou, "Defocus blur parameters identification by histogram matching," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 29, 1964-1706 (2012).
- S. Wu, W. Lin, S. Xie, Z. Lu, E. P. Ong, and S. Yao, "Blind blur assessment for vision-based applications," J. Vis. Commun. Image Represent. 20, 231-241 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvcir.2009.03.002
- I. van Zyl Marais and W. H. Steyn, "Robust defocus blur identification in the context of blind image quality assessment," Signal Process. Image Commun. 22, 833-844 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.image.2007.06.003
- D. Rajan, S. Chaudhuri, and M. Joshi, "Multi-objective super resolution: Concepts and examples," IEEE Signal Process. Mag. 20, 49-61 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1109/MSP.2003.1203209
- J. Yang and D. Schonfeld, "Virtual focus and depth estimation from defocused video sequences," IEEE Trans. Image Process. 19, 668-679 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2009.2036708
- C. Swain and T. Chen, "Defocus-based image segmentation," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 4, 2403-2406 (1995).
- Z. Liu, W. Li, L. Shen, Z. Han, and Z. Zhang, "Automatic segmentation of focused objects from images with low depth of field," Pattern Recogn. Lett. 31, 572-581 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2009.11.016
- K. Pradeep and A. Rajagopalan, "Improving shape from focus using defocus cue," IEEE Trans. Image Process. 16, 1920-1925 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2007.899188
- S. Chaudhuri and A. Rajagopalan, Depth from Defocus: A Real Aperture Imaging Approach (Springer-Verlag, 1998).
- J. Lin, C. Zhang, and Q. Shi, "Estimating the amount of defocus through a wavelet transform approach," Pattern Recogn. Lett. 25, 407-411 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2003.11.003
- C. J. Weaver and J. W. Goodman, "A technique for optically convolving two functions," Appl. Opt. 5, 1248-1249 (1966). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.5.001248
- P. D. Gianino and J. L. Horner, "Phase-only matched filtering," Appl. Opt. 23, 812-816 (1984). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.23.000812
- G. G. Mu, X. M. Wang, and Z. Q. Wang, "Amplitude-compensated matched filtering," Appl. Opt. 27, 3461-3463 (1988). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.27.003461
- M. S. Alam, J. Khan, and A. Bai, "Heteroassociative multiple-target tracking by fringe-adjusted joint transform correlation," Appl. Opt. 43, 358-365 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.43.000358
- M. H. Jeong, "Coded single input channel for color pattern recognition in joint transform correlator," J. Opt. Soc. Korea 15, 335-339 (2011). https://doi.org/10.3807/JOSK.2011.15.4.335
- J. W. Goodman, Introduction to Fourier Optics, 2nd ed. (McGraw-Hill, 1996).
- Adaptive Detection of a Moving Target Undergoing Illumination Changes against a Dynamic Background vol.20, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3807/JOSK.2016.20.6.745