- Volume 27 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Numerical Analysis of the Complex Permittivity of MWNT added Epoxy Depending on Agglomeration Size
에폭시 내부의 MWNT 응집 크기에 따른 복소유전율 변화의 해석적 관찰
- Shin, Jae-Hwan (Department of Aerospace Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Jang, Hong-Kyu (Composites Research Center, Korea Institute of Materials Science (KIMS)) ;
- Choi, Won-Ho (Department of Aerospace Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Song, Tae-Hoon (Department of Aerospace Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Kim, Chun-Gon (Department of Aerospace Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Lee, Woo-Yong (Agency for Defense Development (ADD))
- Received : 2014.08.14
- Accepted : 2014.10.29
- Published : 2014.10.31
This paper predicts the complex permittivity of MWNT added epoxy depending on agglomeration by numerical analysis. 1wt% MWNT added epoxy specimen is prepared using 3-roll-mill method and its complex permittivity is measured in X-band (8.2~12.4 GHz) using freespace measurement system. The analytic model is comprised of cube epoxy and perfect sphere agglomeration. The complex permittivity of the agglomeration model is predicted by complex permittivity mixing rule using the measured complex permittivity of epoxy and 1 wt% MWNT added epoxy. Commercial electromagnetic analysis software, CST, is used to obtain S-parameter of the analytic model and MATLAB code is used to calculate complex permittivity from the S-parameter. It is confirmed that the complex permittivity increases when the agglomeration size decreases.
Supported by : 국방과학연구소
Park, J.Y., and Kim, J.Y., "The Role of Nano-particles on the Material Properties of Epoxy/
$Fe_2O_3$Nano-composites," Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, Vol. 30, No. 5, 2002, pp. 88-93. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2002.30.5.088
- Lee, S.E., Lee, W.J., and Kim, C.G., "A Study on Tensile Properties of Multi-Welled Carbon Nanotube/Epoxy Composites," Journal of the Korean Society for Composite Materials, Vol. 17, No. 6, 2004, pp. 1-7
- Kong, J.W., Chung, S.S., and Kim, T.W., "A Study on Mechanical Properties of Carbon Nanofiber/Epoxy Composites with Dispersion Methods," Proceeding of the Spring Conference of the Korean Society for Composite Materials, Pohang, Korea, Apr. 2004, pp. 151-154.
- Sandler, J., Shaffer, M.S.P., Prasse, T., Bauhofer, W., Schulte, K., and Windle, A.H., "Development of a Dispersion Process for Carbon Nanotubes in an Epoxy Matrix and the Resulting Electrical Properties," Polymer, Vol. 40, 1999, pp. 5967-5971. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-3861(99)00166-4
- Kim, H.C., Lee, S.E., Kim, C.G., and Lee, J.J., "A Study on the Dispersion of Multi-walled Nanotube of MWNT/PMMA Nanocomposites," Proceeding of the Fall Conference of the Korean Society for Composite Materials, Daejeon, Korea, Oct. 2003, pp. 29-32.
- Li, C.C., Lin, J.L., Huang, S.J., Lee, J.T., and Chen, C.H., "A New and Acid-exclusive Method for Dispersing Carbon Multiwalled Nanotubes in Aqueous Suspensions," Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering. Aspects, Vol. 297, No. 1, 2007, pp. 275-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2006.10.022
- Ausman, K.D., Piner, R., Lourie, O., Ruoff, R.S., and Korobov, M., "Organic Solvent Dispersions of Single-walled Carbon Nanotubes: Toward Solutions of Pristine Nanotubes," The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, Condensed Matter, Materials, Surfaces, Interfaces & Biophysical, Vol. 103, No. 38, 2000, pp. 8911-8915.
- Patole, A.S., Patole, S.P., Kang, H., Yoo, J.B., Kim, T.H., and Ahn, J.H., "A Facile Approach to the Fabrication of Graphene/ polystyrene Nanocomposite by in situ Microemulsion Polymerization," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 350, No. 2, 2010, pp. 530-537. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2010.01.035
- Pang, H., Chen, T., Zhang, G., Zeng, B., and Li, Z.M., "An Electrically Conducting Polymer/graphene Composite with a very Low Percolation Threshold," Materials Letters, Vol. 64, No. 20, 2010, pp. 2226-2229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2010.07.001
- Shen, J., Li, N., Shi, M., Hu, Y., and Ye, M., "Covalent Synthesis of Organophilic Chemically Functionalized Graphene Sheets," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 348, 2010, pp. 377-383 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2010.04.055
- Rosca, I.D., and Hoa, S.V., "Highly Conductive Multiwall Carbon Nanotube and Epoxy Composites Produced by Three-roll Milling," Carbon, Vol. 47, No. 8, 2009, pp. 1958-1968. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2009.03.039
- Lee, S.E., Park, K.Y., Kim, C.G., and Han, J.H., "A Study on Permittivity of Multi-walled Carbon Nanotube/Epoxy Composites," Journal of the Korean Society for Composite Materials, Vol. 17, No. 3, 2004, pp. 38-44.
- Nicolson, A.M., and Ross, G.F., "Measurement of the Intrinsic Properties of Materials by Time-Domain Techniques," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measuerment, Vol. 19, No. 4, 1970, pp. 377-382. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.1970.4313932