- Volume 25 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Survival analysis of bank loan repayment rate for customers of Hawassa commercial bank of Ethiopaia
- Kitabo, Cheru Atsmegiorgis (Department of Statistics, Daegu University) ;
- Kim, Jong Tae (Department of Statistics, Daegu University)
- Received : 2014.10.23
- Accepted : 2014.11.17
- Published : 2014.11.30
The reviews of the balance sheet of commercial banks showed that loan item constitutes the largest portion of bank's assets. Although the sector has highest rate of profit, it possesses the greatest risk. Identifying factors that can contribute in lifting-up the loan repayment rate of customers of Hawassa district commercial bank is the major goal of this study. A sample of 183 customers who took loan from October, 2005 to April, 2012 was taken from the bank record. Kaplan-Meier estimation method and univariate Cox proportional hazard model were applied to identify factors affecting bank loan repayment rate. The result from Kaplan-Meier survival estimation revealed that the loan repayment rate is significantly related with loan type, and previous loan experience, educational level and mode of repayment. The log-rank test indicates that the survival probability of loan customers is not statistically different in repaying the loan among groups classified by sex. Moreover, the univariate Cox proportional hazard model result portrayed that educational level, having previous loan experience, mode of repayment, collateral type and purpose of loan are significantly related with loan repayment rate of customers commercial bank. Hence, banks should design loan strategies giving special emphasis on the significant factors while they are giving loans to their customers.
- Berger, A. N. and Udell, G. F. (2005). Relationship of lending and lines of credit in small firms finance, Ph.D Thesis, Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
- Cochran, W. G. (1977). Sampling techniques, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Harhofff, D. and Korting, T. (2008). Lending relationship in Germany-empirical evidence from survey data. Journal of Banking and Finance, 22, 1317-1353.
- Nafiu, B. A. (2005). Loan defaults and consequences for bank performance. Journal of Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation, 5, 2-4.
- Nwankwo, B. A. (2001). Determinants of repayment behaviour in the centenary rural development bank in Uganda, Ph.D Thesis, Ohio State University, OH.
- Okorie, J. T. O., Adeyemo, R. and Agbonlahor, M.U. (2007). An Empirical analysis of microcredit repayment in southwestern Nigeria. Journal of Humanity & Social Sciences, 2, 63-74.
- Onyiriuba, A. (2004). Major determinant of agricultural smallholder loan lepayment in developing economy: Empirical evidence from Ondo state Nigeria. Journal of Socio-Economics, 21, 223-234.
- Park, B. J. (2011). Study on time -varying herd behavior in individual stock. Journal of the Korean Data & Informaion Science Society, 22, 423-426.
- Rose, P. S. (2009). Commercial bank managemnet, 4th Ed., Irwin & McGraw-Hill, Boston.