- Volume 51 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Estimation of fishing power and fishing capacity on coastal stow net fishery in the Korean waters
연안개량안강망 어업의 어획성능 및 어획능력 추정
- KIM, Pyungkwan (Fisheries Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research and Development Institute (NFRDI)) ;
- LEE, Kyounghoon (School of Marine Technology, Chonnam National University) ;
- KIM, Dohoon (Department of Marine & Fisheries Business and Economics, Pukyong National University) ;
- LEE, Geonho (Fisheries Resources and Environment Division, West Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI) ;
- AN, Heui-Chun (Fisheries Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research and Development Institute (NFRDI)) ;
- KIM, Seonghun (Fisheries Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research and Development Institute (NFRDI)) ;
- YANG, Yongsu (Fisheries Engineering Division, National Fisheries Research and Development Institute (NFRDI))
- 김병관 (국립수산과학원 수산공학과) ;
- 이경훈 (전남대학교 해양기술학부) ;
- 김도훈 (부경대학교 해양수산경영학과) ;
- 이건호 (국립수산과학원 서해수산연구소 자연환경과) ;
- 안희춘 (국립수산과학원 수산공학과) ;
- 김성훈 (국립수산과학원 수산공학과) ;
- 양용수 (국립수산과학원 수산공학과)
- Received : 2015.10.08
- Accepted : 2015.11.20
- Published : 2015.11.30
The coastal stow net (stow net hereafter) in Korea is one of the major fishing methods for yellow croaker (Larimichthys polyactis), ribbon fish (Trichiurus lepturus), and anchovy (Engraulis japonicus). In terms of energy efficiency, the stow net fishery is more competitive than towing fishing gears such as trawl gears. The fishing vessels in stow net fishery have consumed less fossil fuel and also have had less carbon dioxide emission into the atmosphere. however, the stow net fishery is necessary to be regulated due to its increased output of the fleet. Therefore, it is required for fisheries authorities to manage the fishing capacity or fishing power for the assurance of fishery's sustainability. For fisheries management authorities, it is necessary to quantify data related to fishing capacity and fishing power to deploy fishery policy in a sustainable way. In terms of data for decision-making, Data envelopment analysis (DEA) method was conducted to estimate fishing capacity. Fishing power index (FPI) was also applied to calculate relative fishing power to approach the problem in a quantitative way.
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- An HC, Lee KH, Park SW, Park CD and Shin JK. 2007. Assessment of fishing power of common octopus(Octopus minor) trap fishery. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 43(3), 176-182. (doi:10.3796/ksft.2007.43.3.176) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.3.176
- Charnes A, Cooper W and Rhodes E. 1978. Measuring the efficiency of decision making units. Eur J oper res 2, 429-444. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(78)90138-8
- FAO. 2000. Report of the Technical Consultation on the Measurement of Fishing Capacity. FAO Fisheries Report No. 615, 23-31
- FAO. 2003. Measuring capacity in fisheries. FAO Fisheries technical paper No. 445, 35-43.
- Fare R. 1989. Measuring plant capacity utilization and technical change: a non-parametric approach, International Economic Review vol. 30
- Kirkley JE, Fare R, Grosskopf S, McConnell K, Squires DE and Strand I. 2001. Assessing capacity and capacity utilization in fisheries when data are limited. N Am J Fish Manage 21, 482-497. (doi:10.1577/1548-8675(2001)021<0482:acacui>2.0.co;2) https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8675(2001)021<0482:ACACUI>2.0.CO;2
- Kirkley J, Squires D and Strand I. 1998. Characterizing managerial skill and technical effciency in a fishery. J Prod Anal 9(2), 145-160. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1018308617630
- Kim DH. 2006. Measurement of fishing capacity of offshore fisheries in Korea. J Fish Econ 37, 1-24.
- Kim DH, An HC, Lee KH and Hwang JW. 2007. Fishing capacity assessment of the octopus coastal trap fishery using data envelopment analysis(DEA). J Kor Soc Fish Tech 43(4), 339-346. (doi:10.3796/ksft.2007.43.4.339) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.4.339
- Lee KH, Kim PK, Kim DH, An HC and Lee CW. 2012. Assessment of fishing power and fishing capacity of the snow crab (Chionoecetes opilio) gillnet fishery in the East Sea. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 48(1), 29-39. (doi: 10.3796/ksft.2012.48.1.029) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.1.029
- Mastuda K. 1991. Quantification of fishing gear and method, Seizando Press, Tokyo, pp. 102-123.
- Nelson R. 1989. On the measurement of capacity utilization. J ind econ XXXVII (3), 273-286.
- A Study on the Installation Methods of Automatic Identification Bouy of Fishing Gear on Coastal Stow Net vol.30, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2018.08.30.4.1453