- Volume 26 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Study About Deformation of a Peristaltic Pump using Numerical Simulation
수치해석을 이용한 튜브 연동식 펌프의 변형에 대한 연구
- HUNG, NGUYEN BA (School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Ulsan) ;
- LIM, OCKTAECK (School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Ulsan)
- Received : 2015.09.17
- Accepted : 2015.12.30
- Published : 2015.12.30
The purpose of this study is to investigate the effects of changing dimension of a soft tube in a peristaltic pump on deformation, stress and fluid flow rate of the peristaltic pump. Geometries of the peristaltic pump is created in a Catia drawing software based on specifications of a real peristaltic pump. Afterwards, the geometries of this pump is imported into a commercial Ansys software to calculate deformation, stress, and fluid flow rate of this pump. The simulation results showed that the deformation and stress of the soft tube is increased by increasing soft tube diameter from 2 mm to 4 mm. When the tube diameter is increased to 5 mm and tube thickness is reduced to 0.5 mm, the soft tube is damaged. The highest fluid flow rate could be found at the tube thickness and diameter of 1 mm and 4 mm, respectively.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- N. Elabbasi, J. Bergstrom, and S. Brown, "Fluid- Structure Interaction Analysis of a Peristaltic Pump", Proceeding of the 2011 COMSOL Conference, Boston, USA, 2011.
- S. Takabatake, K. Ayukawa, and A. Mori, "Peristaltic pumping in circular cylindrical tubes: A Numerical Study of Fluid Transport and its efficiency", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 193, 1988, pp. 267-283. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112088002149
- J. Bergstrom and M.C. Boyce, "Constitutive Modeling of the Large Strain Timie-Dependent Behavior of Elastomers", Journal of Mechanics and Physics of Solid, Vol. 46, 1998, pp. 931-954. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5096(97)00075-6
- D. Takagi and N.J Balmforth, "Peristaltic Pumping of Viscous Fluid in an Elastic Tube", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 672, 2011, pp. 196-218. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112010005914
- T.S. Chow, "Peristaltic Transport in a Circular Cylindrical Pipe", Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 37, 1970, pp. 901-905. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3408716