- Volume 29 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
How Empowerment and Social Support Affect Occupational Stress of Firefighters
임파워먼트와 사회적지지가 소방공무원의 직무스트레스에 미치는 영향
- Shin, Hyojin (Dept. of Social Work, Kyungil Univ.)
- 신효진 (경일대학교 사회복지학과)
- Received : 2015.10.06
- Accepted : 2015.12.09
- Published : 2015.12.31
This study surveyed 230 firefighters working in Dae Gu City and Kyung Sang Buk Do in order to analyze the influence of social support and empowerment on occupational stress and its sub-categories. The study results show that occupational stress is reduced for firefighters when there is more social support and empowerment. For subcategory variables of occupational stress, occupational autonomy stress was influenced only by empowerment. Stress related to lack of compensation and stress from the organization's culture were influenced the most greatly by social support. The weekly fre quency of emergency mobilization and years of working were also found to influence occupational stress and its subcategory variables. The group difference analysis revealed that the fire department had a significantly higher occupational stress than the first-aid department, and 4 to 7 weekly emergency mobilizations corresponded to significantly higher occupational stress than 8 or more weekly emergency mobilizations. Based on the study results, stress management programs focused on increasing social support and empowerment for firefighters are suggested.
- N. C. Nam, H. S. Kim and S. H. Kwon, "Effects of a Stress Management Program Providing Cognitive Behavior Therapy on Problem-focused Coping, Job Stress, and Depression in Firefighters", The Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 12-21 (2013). https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.1.12
- M. S. Choi, D. H. Ji and J. W. Kim, "Job Stress Level and it's Related Factors in Firefighters", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation, Vol. 13, pp. 4917-4926 (2012). https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4917
- J. M. Bae, "The Relationships among Degree of Mobilization Shock Frequency, Social Support, Coping Methods, PTSD and Psychological Well-being of Firefighters", The Korean Association for Public Administration, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 141-163 (2010).
- B. W. Kang, "A Study on the Relationship between Job Stress and Socio-psychological Stress of Firefighter", The Korean Journal of Emergency Medical Services, Vol. 13, pp. 35-48 (2009).
- S. H. Hyun, Y. W. Kim and H. C. Choi, "An Empirical Analysis on the Firefighters' Recognition about Risk Induction Factors", Journal of Korean Institute of Fire Science & Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp.160-169 (2010).
- M. T. Matteson and J. M. Ivancevich, "Controlling Work Stress", Jossey-Bass, San Francisco (1987).
- S. Jex, "Stress and Performance, Sage, Thousand Ods, Calif. (1998).
- R. Cropanzano, D. E. Rupp and Z.S. Byrne, "The Relationship of Emotional Exhaustion to Work Attitudes, Performance, and Organizational Citizenship Behaviors", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 88, pp.160-183 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.1.160
- S. Stordeuur, W. D'hoore and C. Vandenberghe, "Hospital Nursing Staff", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 28, pp, 120-146 (2000).
- B. Hackett and P. Bycio, "An Evaluation of Employee Absenteeism as a Coping Mechanism among Hospital Nurses", Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 69, pp. 327-354 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1996.tb00619.x
- H. J. Oh, "Risk Factors of Job Environment and Social Support that Mediate the Relationship between Job Stress and Psychological Burden Among Special Education Teachers", Special Education, Vol. 13. No. 1, pp. 273-295 (2014).
- Y. N. Koh, "The Effect of Social Support and Job Stress on Job Performance of Mental Health Social Workers", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyungbuk University, Korea (2014).
- H. W. Chung and O. H, Lee, "The Influence of Job Stress, Ego-Resiliency and Social Support on Job Satisfaction among Beginning and experienced Preschool Teachers", Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 31-53 (2011).
- M. S. Yoon and S. H. Kim, "Mediating Effects of Depression and Social Support between the Relationship Job Stress and Quality of Life among Firefighters", Mental Health and Social Work, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 5-34 (2014).
- K. Daniels and A. Guppy, "Occupational Stress, Social Support, Job Control and Psychological Well-being", Human Relations, Vol. 47, pp. 1523-1538 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679404701205
- J. A. Conger and R. N. Kanungo, "The Empowerment Process: Integrating Theory and Practice", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 13, pp. 471-482 (1988). https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1988.4306983
- L. K. Savery and J. A. Luks, "The Relationship between Empowerment, Job Satisfaction and Reported Stress Levels", Leadership and Organizational Development Journal, Vol. 13, pp. 229-238 (2001).
- S. Y. Han, "The Relationship between the Empowerment and the Job Satisfaction of 119 Emergency Medical Technicians", The Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medical Technology, Vol. 114, No. 1, pp. 47-63 (2010).
- J. Y. Park, "Study on Empowerment Level, Job Stress and Nursing Work Performance", Unpublished Masters Thesis, Chungang University, Seoul (2003).
- A. Joiner and B. Bartram, "How Empowerment and Social Support Affect Australian Nurses' Work Stressors", Australian Health Review, pp. 56-64 (2004).
- D. S. Weiss, C. R. Marmar, T. J. Metzier and H. M. Ronfeldt, "Predicting Symptomatic Stress in Emergency Services Personnel", Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Vol. 63, No. 3, pp. 361-368 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.63.3.361
- D. Wagner, M. Heinrichs and U. Ehlert, "Prevalence of Symptoms of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in German Professional Firefighters", The American Journal of Psychiatry, Vol. 155, No. 12, pp. 1727-1732 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.155.12.1727
- E. S. Choi, "Structural Equation Model on Firefighters' Mobilization Shock of Firefighters", Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Chungnam University, Korea (2000).
- Y. M. Choi, "The Effectiveness of Group Work Practice on Empowerment of the Self-Support Program Participants. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Sunggynkwan University, Seoul, Korea (2008).
- S. M. Yang, "The Development and Effectiveness of Group Work Practice on Empowerment of the Mentally Retarded Adults' Parents", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Seoul University, Seoul, Korea (2000).
- S. Folkman and R. S. Lazarus, "Analysis of Coping in a Middle Aged Community Sample", Journal of Health and Social Behaviors, Vol. 21, pp. 219-239 (1980). https://doi.org/10.2307/2136617
- J. H. Kim, "How Perceived Cognition and Coping Way Affect Depression", Unpublished Masters Dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea (1987).
- S. K. Jin, "A Study on the Effects of Social Skills Program for the Rehabilitation of Schizophrenia", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Soongsil University, Seoul, Korea (1994).
- J. W. Park, "A Research on Development of Social Support Instrument", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea (1985).
- M. Schroeder and L. E. Worrall-Carter, 2002. "Perioperative Managers: Role Stress and Strategies for Coping", Contemporary Nurse, Vol. 13. pp. 229-238 (2002).