- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Impact of Emotional Labor and Job Stress on the Job Burnout in the Digital Era : Focusing on Staff Accountants
디지털시대 세무대리인의 정서노동과 직무스트레스가 직무탈진에 미치는 영향
- Shin, Yong-Jae (Dept. of Business Administration, Hankyong National University) ;
- Lee, Shin-Nam (Dept. of Tax & Accounting, Hyupsung University)
- Received : 2014.12.16
- Accepted : 2015.02.20
- Published : 2015.02.28
This study is to examine the relationships between emotional labor, job stress, and job burnout of staff accountants. The results of the analysis are as follows. First, frequency of emotional display has a negative impact on job stress, but emotional dissonance is not associated with job stress statistically. And all types of emotional labor(emotional display, emotional variety, emotional dissonance) have no significant effects on job burnout. Second, all types of emotional labor have no significant impacts on job burnout. Third, full mediation by job stress is proved in the relations between frequency of emotional display and job burnout and between emotional variety and job burnout. But emotional labor doesn't directly impact on job burnout but it influences job burnout via job stress indirectly. These results provide a meaningful framework and theoretical basis for future research on emotional labor, job stress, and job burnout.
- D. D. Bobek, A. M. Hageman and R. C. Hatfield, The role of client advocacy in the development of tax professionals' advice. Journal of American Taxation Association, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 25-51, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2308/jata.2010.32.1.25
- Y. S. Park, T. S. Shim and J. R. Park, Job satisfaction of staff Accounts in Korea tax Preparation firms. Accounting Journal, Vol. 20, No.1, pp. 265-292, 2011.
- A. A. Grandey, J. H. Kern and M. R. Frone, Verbal abuse from outsiders versus insiders: Comparing frequency, impact on emotional exhaustion and the role of emotional labor. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol. 12, pp. 63-79, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-89188.8.131.52
- A. Karatepe and O. Uludag, Role stress, burnout and their effects on frontline hotel employees' job performance: evidence from northern Cyprus. International Journal of Tourism Research, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 111-126, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/jtr.645
- C. Maslach, and M. P. Leiter, Early predictors of job burnout and engagement. Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 93, No. 3, pp. 498-512, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.93.3.498
- S. Kruml and D. Geddes, Exploring the dimensions of emotional labor: The heart of hochschild's work. Management Communication Quarterly, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 8-49, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/0893318900141002
- C. Brotheridge and A. Grandey, Emotional labor and burnout: Comparing two perspectives of people work. Journal of Vacational Behavior, Vol. 60, pp. 17-39, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1815
- E. Demerouti, A. B. Bakker, F. Nachreiner and W. Schaufeli, The job demands-resources model of burnout. Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 86 No. 3, pp. 499-512, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.86.3.499
- W. L. Gardner, D. Fisher and J. G. Hunt, Emotional labor and leadership: A treat to authenticity. The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 20, pp. 466-482. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2009.03.011
- G. Sand and A. D. Miyazskir, The impact of social support on salesperson burnout and burnout componentst. Annual Review of Psychology, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 13-26, 2000.
- K. D. Hassell, C. A. Archbold and A. J. Stichman, Comparing the workplace experiences of male and female police officers: Examining workplace problems, stress, job satisfaction and consideration of career change. International Journal of Police Science and Management, Vol, 13, No. 1, p. 37, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1350/ijps.2011.13.1.217
- D. R. Rutter and P. J. Fielding, Source of occupational Stress: An examination of british prison offers. Work and Stress, Vol. 2, pp. 291-299, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1080/02678378808257490
- R. Abraham, Emotional intelligence in organizational: A conceptualization. Genetic, Social and General Psychology, Vol. 125, No. 2, pp. 209-224, 1999.
- C. Maslach and S. E. Jackson, The measurement of experienced burnout. Journal of Occupational Behavior, Vol. 2, pp. 99-113, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205
- K. L. Zellars, P. L. Perrewe and W. A. Hochwarter, Burnout in health care: The role of the five factors of personality. Journal of Applier Social Psychology, Vol. 30, No. 8, pp. 1570-1598, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2000.tb02456.x
- C. Maslach, W. B. Schaufeli and M. P. Leiter, Job burnout. Psychology and Marketing, Vol. 52, pp. 397-422, 2001.
- T. Y. Han, The effects of burnout on conflict management. Korean Journal of Organizations and Management, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 75-103, 2013.
- K. A. Morris and D. C. Feldman, The dimensions, antecedents and consequences of emotional labor. Academy of Management Review, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 986-1010, 1996. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1996.9704071861
- J. A. Diefendorff, M. H. Croyle and R. H. Gosserand, The dimensionality and antecedents of emotional labor strategies. Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 66, pp. 339-357, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2004.02.001
- S. Glazer and T. A. Beehr, Consistency of implications of three role stressors across four counteies. Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 467-487, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.326
- S. J. Jang, Measurement and assessment of job stress. Korean Industrial Health Journal, Vol. 229, pp. 17-21, 2007.
- S. J. Jang and S. B. Koh, KOSS, Stress Study, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 183-197, 2005.
- J. R. Francis and C. S. Lennox, Selection models in accounting research. Working Paper, University of Missouri at Columbia, 2008.
- M. S. Corey and G. Corey, Becoming a Helper, Belmont CA: Thomson Books, 2007.
- A. R. Hochschild, The Managed Heart: Commercialization of Human Feeling. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 1983.
- D. T. Kenney, Stress Management, Cambridge Handbook of Psychology, Health and Medicine, Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- J. E. Hunter and F. L. Schmidt, Method of Meta-analysis: Correcting Error and Bias in Research Finding. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publication, 2004.
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, R. E. Anderson and R. L. Tatham, Multivate data analysis. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 2006.
- Digital tax times, http://www.taxtimes.co.kr, December 1, 2014.
- Korea Occupational Safety & Health Agency, http://www.kosha.or.kr, July 12, 2014.