- Volume 28 Issue 4
Tillaux Fracture in an Adolescent with a Trimalleolar Ankle Fracture
족관절 삼과 골절과 동반된 청소년기 Tillaux 골절
- Park, Seok Kyun (Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Shin Christian Hospital) ;
- Chae, Soo Uk (Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Shin Christian Hospital)
- Received : 2015.11.26
- Accepted : 2015.12.10
- Published : 2015.12.31
The adolescent Tillaux fracture is an avulsion fracture of the anterolateral corner of the distal tibial epiphysis caused by external rotation of the foot. This type of fracture occurs during epiphyseal fusion in adolescence. A difficult to detect Tillaux fracture was discovered on a preoperative radiograph, such fractures have rarely been reported to accompany a predominantly adult-type ankle fracture. Especially, to the best of our knowledge, no case of a trimalleolar ankle fracture in an adolescent with a Tillaux fracture has been reported. Thus, we present a case of a trimalleolar ankle fracture in a 15-year-old adolescent with a Tillaux fracture who was successfully treated surgically.
- Kleiger B, Mankin HJ. Fracture of the lateral portion of the distal tibial epiphysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1964; 46: 25-32. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-196446010-00003
- Felman AH. Tillaux fracture of the tibia in adolescents. Pediatr Radiol 1989; 20: 87-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02010642
- Dailiana ZH, Malizos KN, Zacharis K, et al. Disatal tibial epiphyseal fractures in adolescents. Am J Orthop 1999; 28: 309-12.
- Herman MJ, MacEwen GD. Physeal fractures of the distal tibia and fibula. Current Orthopaedics 2003; 17: 56-62. https://doi.org/10.1054/cuor.2002.0294
- Pias LS, Giegerich CR. Fractures of the distal tibial epiphysis in adolescence. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1983; 64: 438-44.
- Chokkalingam S, Roy S. Adult tillaux fracture of ankle: case report. The internet journal of orthopedic Surgery [Internet].6: 2007. doi: 10.5580/27a7. Available from http://archive.ispub.com/journal/the-internet-journal-of-orthopedic-surgery.
- Blackburn EW, Aronsson DD, Runbright JH, Lisle JW. Ankle fractures in children. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2012; 94: 1234-44. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.K.00682
- Jones S, Phillips N, Ali F, Fernandes JA, Flowers MJ, Smith TW. Triplane fractures of the distal tibia requiring open reduction and internal fixation: pre-operative planning using computed tomography. Injury 2003;34: 293-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-1383(02)00099-2
- Cutler L, Molloy A, Dhukuram V, Bass A. Do CT scans aid assessment of distal tibial physeal fractures? J Bone Joint Surg Br 2004;86: 239-43.
- Panagopoulos A, Van Niekerk L. Arthroscopic assisted reduction and fixation of a juvenile Tillaux fracture. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2007; 15: 415-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-006-0152-4