- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Mechanical Horseback Riding Exercise on Static Balance of Patient with Chronic Stroke
승마기구 운동이 만성 뇌졸중 환자의 정적 균형능력에 미치는 영향
- Cho, Woon-Soo (Department of Physical Therapy, Nambu University) ;
- Cho, Sung-Hyoun (Department of Physical Therapy, Nambu University)
- Received : 2014.11.13
- Accepted : 2015.03.12
- Published : 2015.03.31
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the effect of horse-riding simulator exercise on the static balance of chronic stroke patients. The study's sample included 30 stroke patients who were randomly classified into an experiment group and a control group. Both the experiment and control groups received therapeutic exercise one time per day, but the experiment group also received twenty minutes of horse-riding simulator exercise three times per week for six weeks. To compare the groups, an independent t-test was performed, and to compare each period, a paired t-test was conducted and its result was analyzed. The result of this study, moving distance under standing position with eyes closed, showed significant difference in horse-riding simulator exercise group after exercise. But, there was no significant difference between horse-riding simulator exercise group and control group. Further, various clinical studies focusing on effects of horseback riding exercise on function of stroke patients are needed.
- J. H. Kim, H. C. Kwon, H. Kim, Y. N. Cho, "Effects of contralesional neck extensor muscle vibration on neglect and ability to perform activities of daily living in patients with stroke". Journal of Special Education & Rehabilitation Science, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 341-358, 2013.
- WHO (World Health Organization), Retrieved September 21, 2013, from http://www.who.int.
- G. Verheyden, L. Vereeck, S. Truijen, M. Troch, I. Herregodts, C. Lafosse, A. Nieuwboer, W. De Weerdt, "Trunk performance after stroke and the relationship with balance, gait and functional ability", Clinical Rehabilitation, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 451-458, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1191/0269215505cr955oa https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215505cr955oa
- D. S. Nichols, "Balance retraining after stroke using force platform biofeedback". Physical Therapy, Vol. 77, No. 5, pp. 553-558, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/77.5.553
- S. G. Ji, G. W. Nam, M. K. Kim, "The effects of motor dual task training on balance and gait of subacute stroke patients", Journal of Special Education & Rehabilitation Science, Vol. 51, No. 3, pp. 331-345, 2012.
- J. H. Kim, "Effects of virtual reality program on standing balance in chronic stroke patients", The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 351-367, 2005.
- J. H. Park, H. J. Lee, Y. A. Yang, "A systematic review on arbitration effects of horse riding for rehabilitation by diseases", Society of Occupational Therapy for the Aged and Dementia, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 27-32, 2011.
- H. Sunwoo, W. H. Chang, J. Y. Kwon, T. W. Kim, J. Y. Lee, Y. H. Kim, "Hippotherapy in adult patients with chronic brain disorders : a pilot study". Annals of Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol. 36, No. 6, pp. 756-761, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5535/arm.2012.36.6.756 https://doi.org/10.5535/arm.2012.36.6.756
- S. H. Cho, B. H. Oh, G. Hwang Bo, "The effects of hippotherapy on the activities of trunk muscles in preterm born children with spastic cerebral palsy", Journal of Special Education & Rehabilitation Science, Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 349-364, 2012.
- D. Debuse, C. Gibb, C. Chandler, "Effects of hippotherapy on people with cerebral palsy from the users' perspective : a qualitative study", Physiotherapy Theory and Practice, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 174-192, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09593980902776662 https://doi.org/10.1080/09593980902776662
- M. Janura, C. Peham, T. Dvorakova, M. Elfmark, "An assessment of the pressure distribution exerted by a rider on the back of a horse during hippotherapy", Human Movement Science, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 387-393, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.humov.2009.04.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humov.2009.04.001
- H. E. MacPhail, J. Edwards, J. Golding, K. Miller, C. Mosier, T. Zwiers, "Trunk postural reactions in children with and without cerebral palsy during therapeutic horseback riding", Pediatric Physical Therapy, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 143-147, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00001577-199801040-00002 https://doi.org/10.1097/00001577-199801040-00002
- S. Y. Kim, C. W. Lee, I. S. Lee, "The effects of hippotherapy on balance and activity of daily living in children with autism", Journal of Korean Association for Persons with Autism, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 341-358, 2012.
- I. S. Lee, "The effects of hippotherapy for balance, gait, upper extremity function and social maturity in intellectual disabilities children", Doctoral dissertation, Daegu University, 2011.
- W. Benda, N. H. McGibbon, K. L. Grant, "Improvements in muscle symmetry in children with cerebral palsy after equine-assisted therapy (hippotherapy)", Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, Vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 817-825, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/107555303771952163 https://doi.org/10.1089/107555303771952163
- D. H. Kim, S. J. Kim, S. S. Bae, K. Kim, "The effect of indoor horseback-riding machine on the balance of the elderly with dementia", Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 235-246, 2008.
- P. Herrero, A. Asensio, E. Garcia, A. Marco, B. Olivan, A. Ibarz, E. M., Gomez-Trullen, R. Casas, "Study of the therapeutic effects of an advanced hippotherapy simulator in children with cerebral palsy : a randomised controlled trial", BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, Vol. 11, pp. 71-76, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-11-71 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-11-71
- Y. Hosaka, M. Nagasaki, G. Bajotto, Y. Shinomiya, T. Ozawa, Y. Sato, "Effects of daily mechanical horseback riding on insulin sensitivity and resting metabolism in middle-aged type 2 diabetes mellitus patients", Nagoya Journal of Medical Science, Vol. 72, No. 3, pp. 129-137, 2010.
- H. K. Kang, S. K. Chang, "The effect of robo-horseback riding exercise on trunk muscle activity ratios in patients with low back pain", The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 393-397, 2012.
- P. Herrero, E. M. Gomez-Trullen, A. Asensio, E. Garcia, R. Casas, E. Monserrat, A. Pandyan, "Study of the therapeutic effects of a hippotherapy simulator in children with cerebral palsy : a stratified single-blind randomized controlled trial", Clinical Rehabilitation, Vol. 26, No. 12, pp. 1105-1113, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0269215512444633 https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215512444633
- M. Kubota, M. Nagasaki, M. Tokudome, Y. Shinomiya, T. Ozawa, Y. Sato, "Mechanical horseback riding improves insulin sensitivity in elder diabetic patients", Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, Vol. 71, No. 2, pp. 124-130, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2005.06.012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2005.06.012
- D. R. Lee, N. G. Lee, H. J. Cha, S. O. Yun, S. J., You, J. H. Oh, H. S. Bang, "The effect of robo-horseback riding therapy on spinal alignment and associated muscle size in MRI for a child with neuromuscular scoliosis : an experimenter-blind study", NeuroRehabilitation, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 23-27, 2011.
- M. B. Silva e Borges, M. J. Werneck, L. da Silva Mde, L. Gandolfi, R. Pratesi, "Therapeutic effects of a horse riding simulator in children with cerebral palsy", Arquivos de Neuro-Psiquiatria, Vol. 69, No. 5, pp. 799-804, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0004-282X2011000600014 https://doi.org/10.1590/S0004-282X2011000600014
- J. H. Lim, J. S. Park, W. S. Cho, "The effect of mechanical horseback-riding training velocity on vestibular functions and static postural balance in healthy adults", The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 288-296, 2013.
- C. H. Jang, "The effect of horse riding machine exercise on attention and balance in children with ADHD", The official journal of the korean association of certified exercise professionals, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 63-70, 2012.
- K. J. Lee, S. J. Kim, C. H. Song, "Effects of cognitive task balance training using BIORescue program on static balance, dynamic balance and visual perception in elderly", Journal of Special Education & Rehabilitation Science, Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 211-229, 2012.
- D. J. Yang, S. K. Park, J. I. Kang, J. H. Lee, Y. H. Uhm, "Effect of computerized feedback postural training on balance and muscle activity in stroke patients". The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy, Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 348-354, 2012.
- P. Giagazoglou, F. Arabatzi, K. Dipla, M. Liga, E. Kellis, "Effect of a hippotherapy intervention program on static balance and strength in adolescents with intellectual disabilities", Research in Developmental Disabilities, Vol. 33, No. 6, pp. 2265-2270, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2012.07.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2012.07.004
- J. H. Carr, R. B. Shepherd, Stroke rehabilitation. Edinburgh; New York: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2003.
- S. G. Kim, "The effect of horse-riding simulator exercise on the balance ability and muscle activity in the frail elderly people", Master's thesis. Daegu University, 2011.
- Y. H. Sung, K. J. Kim, B. K. Yu, "Therapeutic effects of hippotherapy simulator on trunk function in patients with stroke". Journal of Rehabilitation Research, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 333-346, 2012.