- Volume 8 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Structural reliability index versus behavior factor in RC frames with equal lateral resistance
- Mohammadi, R. (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Kharazmi University) ;
- Massumi, A. (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Kharazmi University) ;
- Meshkat-Dini, A. (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Kharazmi University)
- Received : 2014.01.12
- Accepted : 2014.10.02
- Published : 2015.05.25
The reliability or the safety index is a measure of how far a structure is from the state of collapse. Also it defined as the probability that a structure will not fail in its lifetime. Having any increase in the reliability index is typically interpreted as increasing in the safety of structures. On the other hand most of researchers acknowledged that one of the most effective means of increasing both the reliability and the safety of structures is to increase the structural redundancy. They also acknowledged that increasing the number of vertical seismic framing will make structural system more reliable and safer against stochastic events such as earthquakes. In this paper the reliability index and the behavior factor of a numbers of three dimensional RC moment resisting frames with the same story area, equal lateral resistant as well as different redundancy has been evaluated numerically using both deterministic and probabilistic approaches. Study on the reliability index and the behavior factor in the case study models of this research illustrated that the changes of these two factors do not have always the same manner due to the increasing of the structural redundancy. In some cases, structures with larger reliability index have smaller behavior factor. Also assuming the same ultimate lateral resistance of structures which causes an increase to a certain level of redundancy can enhance behavior factor of structures. However any further increase in the redundancy of that certain level might decrease the behavior factor. Furthermore, the results of this study illustrate that concerning any increase in the structural redundancy will make the reliability index of structure to be larger.
- ATC (1995), A critical review of current approaches to earthquake-resistant design, ATC-34 Report, Applied Technology Council, Redwood City, California.
- ATC (1995), Structural response modification factors, ATC-19 Report, Applied Technology Council, Redwood City, California.
- Bertero, R.D. and Bertero, V.V. (1998), "Redundancy in earthquake-resistant design: How to define it and quantify its effects.", Proceedings of 6th U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, CD.
- Bertero, R.D. and Bertero, V.V. (1999), "Redundancy in earthquake-resistant design", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 125(1), 81-88. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1999)125:1(81)
- BHRC (2000), Iranian Code of Practice for Seismic Resistant Design of Buildings, Standard No.2800-05, 2nd edition, Building and Housing Research Center, Tehran.
- BHRC (2005), Iranian Code of Practice for Seismic Resistant Design of Buildings, Standard No.2800-05, 3rd edition, Building and Housing Research Center, Tehran.
- Biondini, F., Frangopol. D.M. and Restelli, S. (2008), "On structural robustness, redundancy and static indeterminacy", Proceedings of the 2008 ASCE-SEI Structures Congress, Vancouver.
- Fallah, A.A., Sarvghad-Moghadam, A. and Mohammadzadeh, S. (2009), "Reliability index for reinforced concrete frames using nonlinear pushover and dynamic analysis", Int. J. Adv. Struct. Eng., 1(2), 135-151.
- Fallah, A.A., Sarvghad-Moghadam, A. and Massumi, A. (2009), "A nonlinear dynamic based redundancy index for reinforced concrete frames", J. Appl. Sci., 9(6), 1065-1073. https://doi.org/10.3923/jas.2009.1065.1073
- FEMA356 (2000), Prestandard and commentary for Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings, Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Gollwitzer, S. and Rackwitz, R. (1990), "On the reliability of Daniels systems", Struct. Saf., 7(2-4), 229-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4730(90)90072-W
- Hendavi, S. and Frangopol, D.M. (1994), "System reliability and redundancy in structural design and evaluation", J. Struct. Saf., 16(1), 47-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4730(94)00027-N
- Husain, M. and Tsopelas, P. (2004), "Measures of structural redundancy in reinforced concrete buildings. I: Redundancy Indices", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 130(11), 1651-1658. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:11(1651)
- Husain, M. and Tsopelas, P. (2004), "Measures of structural redundancy in reinforced concrete buildings. II: redundancy response modification factor RR", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 130(11), 1659-1666. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:11(1659)
- IBC 2000 (1998), International Building Code, Inter.Code Council, Falls Church, Final Draft, VA.
- Liao, K.W. and Wen, Y.K. (2004), "Redundancy in steel moment frame systems under seismic excitation", Department of civil and environmental engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Illinois.
- Marhadi, K. and Venkataraman, S. (2009), "Surrogate measures to optimize structures for robust and predictable progressive failure", Struct. Multidiscip. Optimiz., 39(3), 245-261. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-008-0326-4
- Massumi, A. and Tasnimi, A.A. (2006), "Estimation of response modification factors for RC moment resisting frames", Building and Housing Research Center (BHRC), Publication No.: R-436, Tehran, Iran.
- Massumi, A., Tasnimi, A.A. and Saatcioglu, M. (2004), "Prediction of seismic over-strength of concrete moment resisting frames using incremental static and dynamic analyses", Proceedings of 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Mirenda, E. and Bertero, V.V. (1994), "Evaluation of strength reduction factors for earthquake-resistant design", Earthq. Spectra, 10(2), 357-379. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585778
- Moses, F. (1974), "Reliability of structural systems", J. Struct. Div., ASCE, 100(ST9), 1813-1820.
- Okasha, N.M. and Frangopol, D.M. (2010), "Time-variant redundancy of structural systems", J. Struct. Infrastruct. Eng., 6(1-2), 279-301. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732470802664514
- Park, R. (1989), "Evaluation of ductility of structures and structural assemblages from laboratory testing", Bull. NZ. Natl. Soc. Earthq. Eng., 22(3), 155-166.
- SAP2000 Version 14.2.0 (2010), A computer program for integrated finite element analysis and design of structures, University of California, Berkeley.
- Song, S.H. and Wen, Y.K. (2000), "Structural redundancy of dual and steel moment frame systems under Seismic Excitation", A Report on a Research Project Sponsored by the National Science Foundation (Under Grant NSF EEC-97-01785), University of Illinois at Urbana, Illinois.
- Uang, C.M. (1991), "Establishing R and Cd factors for building seismic provisions", J. Struct. Eng., 117(1), 19-28. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1991)117:1(19)
- Wen, Y.K. and Song, S.H. (2003), "Structural reliability/redundancy under earthquakes", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 12(1), 56-66.
- Yoshihiro, K. and Yakov, B.H. (2011), "Redundancy and robustness, or when is redundancy redundant?" J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 137(9), 935-945. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000416